Actual weight

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
It seems polypavement has mixed reviews. So be careful. Try it in a small spot and see how it holds up over your winter. Maybe someone here has used the stuff. Maybe you will tell us how it works for you....

Paver stones are cheap, quick to install and are reconfigurable. When you decide to spend the big bucks to do the pavement you can reuse them in another area...
I can not imagine pushing around any bike over 500 lbs on a gravel parking spot on a daily basis.....

The ST1300 is a great choice, the first thing that you may want to change is the seat... lots of threads here on that.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It seems polypavement has mixed reviews. So be careful. Try it in a small spot and see how it holds up over your winter. Maybe someone here has used the stuff. Maybe you will tell us how it works for you....

Paver stones are cheap, quick to install and are reconfigurable. When you decide to spend the big bucks to do the pavement you can reuse them in another area...
I can not imagine pushing around any bike over 500 lbs on a gravel parking spot on a daily basis.....

The ST1300 is a great choice, the first thing that you may want to change is the seat... lots of threads here on that.
Thanks Spiderman,
I'm not sure I'd go with the PolyPavement product till I tried it as you suggest.

The paver stones idea is good. I can imagine laying out an area sufficiently large to park and turn around on.
I wonder if one of you lucky ST owners would give me an estimate of how large an area is required to do a 3 (or more) point turn.

I'm living the 'dream' of pushing my ~530 lb Tiger around every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Spiderman,
I'm not sure I'd go with the PolyPavement product till I tried it as you suggest.

The paver stones idea is good. I can imagine laying out an area sufficiently large to park and turn around on.
I wonder if one of you lucky ST owners would give me an estimate of how large an area is required to do a 3 (or more) point turn.

I'm living the 'dream' of pushing my ~530 lb Tiger around every day!

In the garage on the concrete, I was able to make an ugly 10 point turn in an 8 x 14 space, (same as what the Subaru is parked in). Very narrow once you get it turned sideways. If you can manage a 4 x 4 bump out on one side, then you can do a proper 3 point turn around.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
In the garage on the concrete, I was able to make an ugly 10 point turn in an 8 x 14 space, (same as what the Subaru is parked in). Very narrow once you get it turned sideways. If you can manage a 4 x 4 bump out on one side, then you can do a proper 3 point turn around.
That's super helpful!

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Re: Actual weight of ST1300

Yes but in keep in mind that I only did it as an experiment to see if it would work- proof-of-concept if you will. As such it was only used a few times. Can't say how long it would hold up but for the price you could buy a new one every year. It was an experiment for someone else. If it worked we were going to source a better quality one but in the end he moved removing the need.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yes but in keep in mind that I only did it as an experiment to see if it would work- proof-of-concept if you will. As such it was only used a few times. Can't say how long it would hold up but for the price you could buy a new one every year. It was an experiment for someone else. If it worked we were going to source a better quality one but in the end he moved removing the need.
Gotcha.
Found this!
https://youtu.be/rQKX8kkuL_c

I wonder what the load rating is for the turntable under the painted cover.

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
I'm an old munchkin... 67 yo, 5'6", 26" inseam, 27" if I'm wearing good boots. The ST is a barge lol. When backing it up on anything but a level surface, I have to get off, put one hand on the seat and 1 on the bars and push. When lifting it off the sidestand I often use a 1" block under the stand to make it easier, or if my wife is along I tell her to "lean right" tipping it that direction until I get it straight up,...when putting it on the centerstand.. well I usually don't. Just too hard, even though I know " the technique" have used it for 50 years, and had no issues getting any of my other bikes on their centerstands. That being said, once rolling at anything more than a walking speed the bike is super easy to control. It " rides" a lot lighter than it is, and handles quite well. The weight becomes an asset out on the road, making the bike feel super stable. 8 years and 96,000 miles after picking it up at the dealership, there is no other bike I would rather ride. Yep, it's a barge, but if Honda was still making them I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Love my ST.
I completely ditto this post. Except for the personal stats are a bit different, but not a bunch. I keep thinking about updating my ST and then I wonder why? It's got everything I want (except factory cruise, gear shift indicator), and new or newer would break my limited budget. The ST never lets me down, is easy to maintain (relatively speaking) and very affordable to own. How could I improve on that? Love my ST.

I just read this entire thread. Interesting read. I appreciate very much the willingness of everyone here to post.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I completely ditto this post. Except for the personal stats are a bit different, but not a bunch. I keep thinking about updating my ST and then I wonder why? It's got everything I want (except factory cruise, gear shift indicator), and new or newer would break my limited budget. The ST never lets me down, is easy to maintain (relatively speaking) and very affordable to own. How could I improve on that? Love my ST.

I just read this entire thread. Interesting read. I appreciate very much the willingness of everyone here to post.
Likewise
I continue to be impressed by the community's willingness to share and be friendly.
Honestly, it's a factor in my decision to buy an ST.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Wanted to update this thread to let you good folks know that we did buy an ST. Bought it from its original owners Ron and Paula who meticulously maintained their 2005 running up a measly 56,000 kms on the clock. Came with a factory topbox (do they all have a nifty monogrammed mat?), bar risers, black reflective on the panniers and a 12v socket.

We haven't had a chance to do any serious miles but we are a pair of happy ST owners. Please welcome STella!
New ST.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I see your new ST came with lowered passenger foot pegs. No wonder your partner likes how it rides. I have lowered driver foot pegs. It transformed how my ST handles. They work hand and feet with the Heli bar raisers. Super comfortable for long distance and daily rides.
Kenny

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I see your new ST came with lowered passenger foot pegs. No wonder your partner likes how it rides. I have lowered driver foot pegs. It transformed how my ST handles. They work hand and feet with the Heli bar raisers. Super comfortable for long distance and daily rides.
Kenny
Funny enough we took the peg extensions off after our first ride. She's only 5'1" so lowering the pegs made her feel less secure.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Very nice find, congratulations. I see a lot of gravel under you.
Please post a picture when you finish the new parking pad....

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks, we're pretty darn happy with it!
<eatinghumblepie/>
I'm happy to announce that moving it around is harder than my Tiger but not impossible.
That said, I will be building a turntable to use until we have a hard surface driveway.

Top Bottom