Stupid Bees!!!

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not sure where to put this... so MC Safety seemed appropriate...

Second time in the last month or so I've had a bee drop into my jacket and sting the poop out of me while riding. Before I could kill it and get it out of the jacket I must of looked a bit self-destructive as I beat myself in the chest senseless, pull over quickly, and try to get out of a jacket as fast as I can... which turns into longer than it ever took at any time previous... must have been the dancing and flailing of the arms...

I can't imagine I can do anything about it. I guess keep my face shield down... but when it's hot...

Both times they hit the helmet in the opening, dropped between the full face bar and my mouth, into my jacket collar, and down to my chest. Two different jackets as well.

Just venting I guess... dang that hurts!!!

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Glad you didn't swallow it. Hard to ride with the face shield down in the summer. Stinks so bad inside my helmet in the summer Yuck

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I learned quickly, especially running next to rivers/water... keep your mouth closed!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
must have been the dancing and flailing of the arms
ToddC, we found Saturday evenings entertainment! Ill bring the anaphylaxis kit, you supply the bees...

Yes venting is required due to your heat, but since I am so caring, I will trade you locations and you won't have issue with either. The vents stay closed and the bees are already frozen, or whatever they do in the winter...:snow1: Problem solver I am. :cool:

Bike
VStrom 650
Have you ever noticed that you can ride behind a barn door screen in a full face helmet wearing sunglasses and the little B......s still get you with a full on cheek smash the moment you dare to lift the visor 10 thousandths of an inch!
Just saying!
Upt'North.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
ToddC, we found Saturday evenings entertainment! Ill bring the anaphylaxis kit, you supply the bees...

Yes venting is required due to your heat, but since I am so caring, I will trade you locations and you won't have issue with either. The vents stay closed and the bees are already frozen, or whatever they do in the winter...:snow1: Problem solver I am. :cool:
Those bees love road kill.........do you think you might be attracting them Dale????? :lol:

Back in 1983, had one hit me in the upper inner left forearm, right in the tender thin flesh of the inside of my elbow. Dang thing stuck it's stinger in me and proceeded to spin from the 45mph wind. Couldn't really beat at it. Had to try and find a stopping spot.....and fast. Whole left arm swelled up a couple hours later.

Install one of those screens from your screen door across the front of the bike Dale....bee the first..........get it......:rofl1:

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
.bee the first..........get it......
Please don't quit your day job Todd...:( But I do look forward to your stage show of "Todd in tights" followed by your rendition of " Todd sings the ALPs", in quadraphonic sound; followed by the two hit singles, "Where did all my guests go?" and "Maggie left me for a Canuck"...:CanFlag1:

Bike
R1200rt
Not sure where to put this... so MC Safety seemed appropriate...

Second time in the last month or so I've had a bee drop into my jacket and sting the poop out of me while riding. Before I could kill it and get it out of the jacket I must of looked a bit self-destructive as I beat myself in the chest senseless, pull over quickly, and try to get out of a jacket as fast as I can... which turns into longer than it ever took at any time previous... must have been the dancing and flailing of the arms...

I can't imagine I can do anything about it. I guess keep my face shield down... but when it's hot...

Both times they hit the helmet in the opening, dropped between the full face bar and my mouth, into my jacket collar, and down to my chest. Two different jackets as well.

Just venting I guess... dang that hurts!!!
would have loved to see a video of that, per haps you can do a reenactment.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Please don't quit your day job Todd...:( But I do look forward to your stage show of "Todd in tights" followed by your rendition of " Todd sings the ALPs", in quadraphonic sound; followed by the two hit singles, "Where did all my guests go?" and "Maggie left me for a Canuck"...:CanFlag1:
Ok so you are officially funnier than me.............looking....:rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Just wait till one flies up your trouser's leg .... :D
Friend of mine was working outside painting wearing shorts this past spring. Yes, a bee flew up his shorts and stung him he said on one of a pair. No dancing but he was in serious distress for a day or two. This really does happen.

Many years ago, a bee flew into the space between my forehead and the 3/4 helmet I was wearing w/o a face shield. The buzzing scared me silly. I pulled over to the side of the road, pulled the hat off and she flew merrily away w/o stinging me.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had one get up to the thigh as I was busy beating him to death through my riding trousers at 70 MPH (had my feet on my Highway Wings) - Didn't figure I had the time to stop given his rapid progression upward! ;-)

Last edited:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
It can bee a pain.

At OHSTOC some stinging insect flew in open collar of my jacket and stung me 4 or 5 times. Literally a pain in the neck. Not much you can do to stop this when your in the twisties.

STOC #
Southern Indiana, hot summer day, 1977 KZ900, full-face helmet with visor open.
Bee flew in and stung me in temple area. I stopped and yanked helmet off.
Other than stinging like crazy, continued riding.
Then I started to lose ability to focus.
Had 40 miles to get home so tried to hurry...
Went into full hallucination as I pulled in.
Was quite the experience and hope never to repeat.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A chin curtain for your helmet would have prevented that. Not likely to bee worn in hot weather though. And trapping it in your helmet you might have ended up looking like the Elephant Man. :eek:

I got a bee trapped in my old Shoei S-28. It buzzed around and wouldn't leave despite the huge opening in the helmet. Pulled over immediately and ripped off my helmet (the quick release buckle paid for itself) and we parted ways amicably.

How 'bout a DOT approved

Or maybe just some screen door mesh across the front of the helmet :grin:

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
My worst experience with biting insects was with a wasps nest in a fence that my lawn mower vibrated, when I got bitten by multiple insects it felt like I got hit by 2x4. Neighbours must have thought I lost it as I ran out of the backyard and started rolling on the grass.

Gerhard

Top Bottom