Motorcycle Larry's Problem.....

Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
Hi Guys.
I generally do NOT like to post anything negative about anything or anyone, and I will say that I hope there is nothing going on with this company. Let me explain.....
Purchased a set of the adjustable footpeg lowering brackets for my ST. Great build quality, ease of install, etc. Didn't really care for the angle that it kind of splays your legs out, but the extra legroom was great. Took it for a ride and VERY quickly discovered that you have very limited lean angles, so much so that it could pose a serious safety concern. My shoes would scuff upon touchdown on what I would consider a mild sweep. No big deal, but the hard parts of the bracket would not be forgiving if THEY scraped. Ever had a bicycle kickstand fall down on you when you were a kid and have the bike pogo? Not so bad on a 25lb bicycle, but not with 700lbs. So.......I contacted them and managed to get a hold of Diane {who was very helpful} and she told me to send them back. She even AGREED that there were a number of clients that had the same experience on this bike with those brackets. I didn't even want my money back, and told her I could use other stuff. Then the fun begins......send them back, call her / e-mail her about 10 times..... she acknowledges receipt then tells me "all I have to do is check them in and I'll get back to you". That was almost 4 weeks ago. E-mails, phone calls {no answering machine} and even tried faxing, maybe 20 times......always busy {fax}, dead phone {ring-ring-ring-answer, no machine or voice mail}or no returned e-mail. I simply cannot get a hold of anyone there!
To not get a return phone call and at least an acknowledgement cost her a customer. Called my C/C company today to arrange a charge back. I'm stating this to all of my fellow ST riders so they don't get caught up in whatever mess they are in.
Not happy right now...
Bob

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
I'm generally ok with some "inconsistencies". Shoot we're all human. Where I draw the line though is lack of communication. Just let me KNOW it will take 2 weeks, or 3 weeks, or whatever.....and if you can't make that time frame, just call and tell me. Someone there is getting the e-mails. They are CHOOSING not to respond.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bobb said:
Where I draw the line though is lack of communication. Just let me KNOW it will take 2 weeks, or 3 weeks, or whatever.....and if you can't make that time frame, just call and tell me. Someone there is getting the e-mails. They are CHOOSING not to respond.
This seems to be their biggest and maybe only (?) problem. I don't know what's going on but most everybody seems to be the patient type if only they knew what to expect.

Whether it's a shortage of supply or some other issue email is a pretty simple and efficient tool. Jot down a note and send it off. We're happy. Or at least we're not apprehensive and/or angry.

Bike
07 ST1300
I put his lowing kit on for my girl(passenger). She is more comfy with them. I find her feet now in my way at inopportune times, but it's generally OK.
I can not imagine that the drivers lowering kit would be at all safe. I would never market such a thing for fear of lawsuits from the survivors!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I put his lowing kit on for my girl(passenger). She is more comfy with them. I find her feet now in my way at inopportune times, but it's generally OK.
I can not imagine that the drivers lowering kit would be at all safe. I would never market such a thing for fear of lawsuits from the survivors!
Wait...will this kit work on the passenger pegs? If so, I have to see if I can source a pair for the Mrs. I have a non MCL lowering kit on my ST's and I can get the 1100s pretty low in the turns without any issues (I think I got mine from CaSporttouring.com when they were still selling parts.

Last edited:
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I believe that this company is being run by Larry's widow and daughters. I feel sure that they are just trying to sell off what was left of the company and that they are NOT truly in production of anything. I may be wrong.....but....

This past month, I ordered one of Larry's fuse box holders for the tail box. I called to get more info....several times, without success. One day..bingo, they answered the phone. I had questions about things they listed as "sold out"....like the Tail Brights. The answers were vague. I followed up with an email. No reply I did receive the fuse box holder in less than a week.

Also....their web site is a disaster of slow......

Forest

Bike
07 ST1300
Wait...will this kit work on the passenger pegs? If so, I have to see if I can source a pair for the Mrs. I have a non MCL lowering kit on my ST's and I can get the 1100s pretty low in the turns without any issues (I think I got mine from CaSporttouring.com when they were still selling parts.
I think they are specific to the passenger pegs. I found them in the classifieds here.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
UPDATE: My returned, unsafe footpeg brackets {over a month and a half ago} credit has been ignored. No phone calls, no e-mails nothing. Done with this company. I had to go to my credit card company with all of the tracking numbers and anything else I need to have them do a charge back. They {Discover} said no worries. If it's been that long I won't have to pay. SAD. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone at this point in the game.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Are there no ST owners near MCL's warehouse/office? Has nobody stopped by for a chat with anyone who is there (if anyone is there)?

I'll edit my comment above. I see three members of this site do live near MCL's website listed address (4212 E. Los Angeles Ave, Simi Vlley,). Maybe someone can run over and report back to us?

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Come on folks, the dude died! The family probably has no interest in keeping this going, and is just probably trying to sell off the remaining stuff.
Give them a break, and move on, they are having too.
RIP Motorcycle Larry

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Come on folks, the dude died! The family probably has no interest in keeping this going, and is just probably trying to sell off the remaining stuff.
RIP Motorcycle Larry
After Larry's passing, the family did intend to keep the company going. NOT sell off what was left and dissolve it... therefore, it's a company that should do the one thing a company should do, communicate and provide the goods they advertise. If they don't do that , they will fail... The OP did not post this to bad-mouth Larry, that just happens to be the name of the company. The company's website is up, they TAKE orders and TAKE money... they SHOULD provide communication and products when they do that.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 BLUE ST13
RIP Motorcycle Larry
GIVE THEM A BREAK?!?!?!?
I most CERTAINLY WOULD have IF they had enough courtesy to call / or communication in SOME sort of fashion. Like I said earlier, even if they did get a hold of me and then told me they were having problems and couldn't get it out for a FEW WEEKS OR WHATEVER, I would have more than likely said "ok".....but....for them to ignore me, take my money, not respond....I will NOT give them any breaks. Sorry, the line in the sand has been crossed.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Lets be honest here, perhaps after Larry passed away, the family had intentions of trying to keep the business going, perhaps it was too difficult for them to handle. While I agree things could/should have been handled differently, but do we really know what it going on?
How many of you folks had knowledge of Larry's passing, then kept ordering stuff anyway? We all knew what happened, then what, we just expected to keep ordering stuff and have business as usual? This was a very small Mom and Pop shop, it was not GM for crying out loud. Maybe things got overwhelming for them. We sent them emails, texts, money, and phone calls, and them complain when WE were not their first priority? Perhaps we should have expected that there may be issues and not been so demanding. Yes, we lost our Accessories, they lost a loved one.
I hope everyone gets their parts, refunds, or whatever they feel is needed to move on.
:BDH:

Last edited:
STOC #
That's a sentimental point of view from your having known him for many years. There are probably a number of riders who have absolutely no knowledge of who Motorcycle Larry was, or that he passed and his family might be over their heads running the business (as they wait for long overdue orders with no communication). MCL is operating a functional website to sell products and that is where sentimental views of Larry or his family situation end (for me.)

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
OK, my bad, I just pulled up the website for the first time in almost a year and will now have to agree with ya'll. They took the time to explain what happened, but still imply that "the show will go on".
So, I was wrong, you were right, whoever is running the show should either step up or offer explanations on the front page of the website, or warnings that there may be limited contact, delays in replies, etc.
that would allow folks to make a choice if they wanted to risk ordering stuff or not.
I still say RIP Larry (kinda creepy to type that)
Larry

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
offer explanations on the front page of the website, or warnings that there may be limited contact, delays in replies, etc.
Good points. I think that would go a long way towards customer satisfaction. Contrary to the song the waiting isn't the hardest part. It's not knowing.

Top Bottom