Wobbly Harbor Freight Lift

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok, put my 1300 on a brand new HF lift today. Strapped it down on both sides, clamped the front wheel, and pumped it up. The base sits solidly on the floor with the feet screwed down near the casters, but the table and bike wobble - flexing of the steel. I did insert the safety bar and lowered the lift so this bar was locking the lift in the up position.

Have other owners of the HF lift experienced this? I ended up putting jack stands under the two rear corners of the table and lowered it until it was stabilized by the stands and the locking bar. Much better.

Btw, it was a heck of a job lifting the bike two feet in the air and putting it on the table.:bow1:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have been looking at lifts for some time. The HF lift table looks appealing from a price standpoint, but the metal table is too thin and I can wobble it by hand. Thinking of making my own of wood...about knee high and wide enough to hold all the tools and large parts I need as well as the bike.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Ya they wiggle a little. Have never had it fall over or collapse..... Lifts bike fine. Makes working on it much easier. Never felt the need to reinforce it. Use the safety bar to keep the load off the jack.

Just don't ride it like rodeo bull while you are on the lift.....:mw1:

ToddC

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have had this table for year with no problems, I think I paid $250 for it new. I have had a Goldwing, cb750, ST1300 on it. Put the safety bar at your desired height and let the weight down on the bar and you are good to go.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Anyone want a inexpensive solid reliable lift? Make your own very easy out of an old electric hospital bed. You can buy them as surplus and bolt plywood or what ever on the top, a ramp and a lift you will have for cheap.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I was going to post that HF is running adds in my area for the 1000 lb lift for $300.00. Great if it works, but after reading this post I am not so sure.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I have had an HF lift for several years now - bought it post superstorm Sandy as they come in handy at the seashore when the tide comes up too far - but I have never had the ST1300 on it. I've been thinking of buying another for the ST as currently I must load the ST in the trailer and move it to higher ground when flooding threatens . I am curious if anyone manages to use the center stand while on the lift . Seems to me that the front wheel will be pulled from the chock as the bike moves rearward when putting it on the center stand. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Richard

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have had an HF lift for several years now - bought it post superstorm Sandy as they come in handy at the seashore when the tide comes up too far - but I have never had the ST1300 on it. I've been thinking of buying another for the ST as currently I must load the ST in the trailer and move it to higher ground when flooding threatens . I am curious if anyone manages to use the center stand while on the lift . Seems to me that the front wheel will be pulled from the chock as the bike moves rearward when putting it on the center stand. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Richard
Put mine on center stand every time. The chock is adjustable in location and you don't lock it down untill you are already on the center stand. The trick is finding center, both center stand feet touching, then make one strong push and up it goes. Then chock and strap it down. The hardest part to me is rolling the bike on to the lift it's self. Took me a couple runs to pick the right speed to roll it all the way up.

All in all I am very satisfied with the lift....

ToddC

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
eems to me that the front wheel will be pulled from the chock as the bike moves rearward when putting it on the center stand.
It would pull back, but once on the centerstand you don;t really need the chock to hold the bike upright.

I just picked up the lift at the last sale $280. Calling it my Christmas. Still strapped to the trailer in the garage. One of these days the parts will be in for my brake repair. I'll roll the bike up on the trailer and use the lift to change the front caliper and bleed everything. :rolleyes:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've had mine for a couple of years and use it for the ST and for the Wing. The only time that mine feels shaky is during the first couple of inches of lift, due to the geometry of the linkage. After it gets a little higher, it's fine. I don't use the chock. I put a 1/4" rubber mat under the center stand to keep it from slipping on the deck. Then I strap the center stand to the front of the bike to make sure it can't fold up, and finally a strap on each side to make sure it stays upright. I painted the ramp with non-slip paint, so a wet tire doesn't ruin my day, either. I used to use outriggers for a place to put my feet, when I would ride onto the lift. Now, I walk the bike up on the lift, under power. To save space in the garage, I usually leave one bike parked on the lift.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Anyone want a inexpensive solid reliable lift? Make your own very easy out of an old electric hospital bed. You can buy them as surplus and bolt plywood or what ever on the top, a ramp and a lift you will have for cheap.
Also handy when the wife tells you that you have to sleep on the sofa tonight! :( :)

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I had a HF lift for years and works great for the ST. Tonight I just powered the Goldwing and ran it on the lift for tomorrow's work for the first time. Strapped it down and it lifted it right up. Yes it wobbles a little at first but as you lift higher it seems to tighten up.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Someone wrote in another thread that he dented his HF table with the center stand. I put a 2'x 4' piece of 1/4" steel (an old benchtop) on my new lift to forestall this possibility. I think I'll cut either a piece of 4 x 4 or some doubled 2 x 6 into short posts, one for each corner to stabilize the lift with the locking bar in place. If nothing else, it will bring piece of mind.

I bought one this summer when they had a $279 sale. I have my GS on it right now and have no problems with stability. The ST is a bit heavier, but I don't expect that it will be a problem either. I think it was a good purchase.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I was about to pull the trigger on another HF lift for the ST - have one already along with a pneumatic scissor type - ( HF is pantograph).
List on the HF is currently in the $ 430 . area plus sales tax . Then a buddy of mine called and said his neighbor had a lift for sale.
got this for $400. - same as my other pneumatic that I paid a grand or more for ( plus freight) 10 yrs ago.

image.jpg
This one will stay in the new shop area under the house - hope to get to the Commando this winter - and the ST can reside on the original in the garage that is currently occupied by the Commando. The ES 2 will stay on the HF lift as it is a relatively small bike.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I sold my HF because I NEVER felt comfortable with a ST1300 on it.

That's why I picked this one up, Bob's new lift, expensive? yeah, but I don't feel uneasy putting the bikes up on it!

new-LiftB-s.jpg

Last edited:
STOC #
I was about to pull the trigger on another HF lift for the ST - have one already along with a pneumatic scissor type - ( HF is pantograph).
List on the HF is currently in the $ 430 . area plus sales tax . Then a buddy of mine called and said his neighbor had a lift for sale.
got this for $400. - same as my other pneumatic that I paid a grand or more for ( plus freight) 10 yrs ago.
Yep, IMO Handy is the only way to go (or something built with that thick steel and is spendy.) As far as I know, they are still made in Marshalltown, IA. You got a good deal as they are probably retailing around $1200 now for the base model. I've got a friend with an H-F lift and it's too scary for me.

Top Bottom