High beam or low?

Do you ride in the day with hgh beams on?

• Yes

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • No, but I have additional lighting

Votes: 24 26.1%

• Total voters

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I voted no but I do have LEDs and they are MUCH brighter than the stock halogens. Multiple people have said how well they can see me and how I stand out with the white bright light.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Today on the RT: "No, but I have additional lighting".
Prior days on the ST: "Yes" (I didn't install additional lighting)

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have just started using HB when in busy parts of town in daylight. In the country? No, I stick with LB.

I know HB may be an annoyance to the guy I pull up behind in traffic but I'm usually pointing the ST into my imagined escape route anyway.

I have observed other bikes looking brighter and HB appears more obvious/visible. It may only make a small safety difference for me but I 'll grab it.

I assume the constabulary does not like it but its hardly worth pulling me over for.

D

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
No Hi Beam when riding my old 88 GL1500 Goldwing. However I do have additional lighting.

This year I added a Kissan modulator to the 2010ST that modulates the High Beam. However when the modulator is on I turn the head light aim adjustment to the lowest setting.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, make a one-time manual adjustment and the dash adjustment can be turned down so high beam can be used during the day without annoying other motorists. In darkness turn it 4 or 5 clicks up and high beam is back in business. On typical interstates I can turn the light aim down 2 or 3 clicks and I can use high beam without getting flashed by oncoming drivers.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yes, make a one-time manual adjustment and the dash adjustment can be turned down so high beam can be used during the day without annoying other motorists. In darkness turn it 4 or 5 clicks up and high beam is back in business. On typical interstates I can turn the light aim down 2 or 3 clicks and I can use high beam without getting flashed by oncoming drivers.
That's very clever! Does that idea work when two-up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've always kept HB on in daytime. I also do have added driving lights that are on when the sun is out. I'd rather be a annoying than invisible, and those are the options around here. I've been constantly cut off on the commute to work (hardly any traffic here at the times I'm commuting) when I use low beams but as soon as the high beams come on, and especially with the driving lights, that all but stops. I've had drivers turn out of driveways in front of me with LB but find they do a double take and look again and stop when I use HB with the driving lights. So heck yes, the high beams are my choice.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's very clever! Does that idea work when two-up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure it would as that is what it is for - to compensate for different load configurations. When I got my ST the adjustment knob did not have enough adjustment one way or the other, I can't remember, so adjusted it so the travel was adequate both ways.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I always use low beam in daylight. That way if the most used LB filament burns out the HB is still there when I need it. Although I seldom (very seldom) ride at night. Too many deer and I don't need to play the odds with them.
Not sure what sort of headlamp bulbs the prior owner installed in the 2004 ST, but they are some tremendous bright white things.
Folks that drive with their bright HB lights on and/or don't dim them to approaching traffic are a real peeve of mine, regardless of the vehicle type.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I used to do it this way but since I put Evitek LED's in the headlights, position light LED's, and switchback LED's I usually just run low beams. I also have LED under mirror driving lights.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
High beams during the day. I don't want to be out at night with no or only one low beam.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got the Evitek LEDs now so I'd hope losing a bulb would be far less likely (I lost the left high beam on an incandescent way back when).

I carry the halogens I swapped out as spares but I'd probably not try to change them until parked for the day/evening.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used to do it this way but since I put Evitek LED's in the headlights, position light LED's, and switchback LED's I usually just run low beams. I also have LED under mirror driving lights.
I have Eviteks, LED position lights, and MondoMoto LED under mirror aux lights and still do it.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I always run on the LB + I've had a modulator for over 10 years. The modulator is used in select circumstances; say when someone is positioned to turn left in front off me or on an undivided highway when I can see 10 cars behind a car pulling a trailer and you know people would be frustrated and impatient to pass. Otherwise it's off as it can be annoying.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I ride with LED HB in daylight. I feel very conspicuous, but still ride alert. On two lane curvy roads, have had slow drivers pull off to let me pass. Happened more often when riding with other rider who also ran auxiliary LED.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I always use hi beams on sunny days. I don't think it would be annoying others.

Top Bottom