High beam or low?

Do you ride in the day with hgh beams on?

• Yes

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • No, but I have additional lighting

Votes: 24 26.1%

• Total voters

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I believe that improperly aimed HBs can contribute to road rage and even temporary blindness of oncoming drivers/riders.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Yes, make a one-time manual adjustment and the dash adjustment can be turned down so high beam can be used during the day without annoying other motorists. In darkness turn it 4 or 5 clicks up and high beam is back in business. On typical interstates I can turn the light aim down 2 or 3 clicks and I can use high beam without getting flashed by oncoming drivers.
I hadn't thought of this, and I have been riding around for months with a burned-out LH low beam so I use the high beam in the daytime, I very seldom ride after dark, and since I don't have a good reason to install LED headlights, I never hear any complaints or see someone flashing their high beams at me, so assume that I'm OK. When I do get in a situation that requires a little riding after dark, I am stuck with a single low beam, so if there is enough range with the aim adjuster I will just make a low beam out of the high beams. Will that work without making the initial manual adjustment you mentioned? If not, I will just go ahead and replace the burned out bulb. Only reason I haven't done it already is that I am a procrastinator and don't want to do it until absolutely necessary. I also remember all the trouble I had the first time I replaced a bulb and IIRC, I damaged the lamp retention system in the process.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I always use hi beams on sunny days. I don't think it would be annoying others.
I have noticed that people have become increasingly less tolerant of the very bright head lighting available today, regardless of vehicle type. I have made an effort this year to raise and lower my headlights exactly the same as I would during night driving, at all times of the day. Our provincial traffic code actually requires this,, even though few adhere to it. It has not really been noticeable for older lighting systems. There are actually demerit points that can be applied for not lowering your high beams, at any time of the day, in our area. But there are two benefits to doing this. One,, you are more visible to oncoming traffic,,, as long as they are looking. Two,, potential road ragers and rational people alike, see that you are respecting them by lowering your laser beams. Ragers are less likely to retaliate in any way,,, like the one who tried to run me off the road did, a couple of years back. IMHO,,, Cat'

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I always use hi beams on sunny days. I don't think it would be annoying others.
In contrast to the suns reflection off windshields my incandescent hi beams are way more tolerable. Most here in Ga anyway are wearing sunglasses...and texting...:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I run a modulating HB and 4 LED aux lights. I know it annoys some drivers because they flash their headlights when oncoming or make some gesture indicating they see me when I am behind them. Not referencing the number 1 gesture either.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I run on low beam with Clearwater Ericas set at 10% which is 2x600 lumens. On high beam the Ericas produce 2x6,000 lumens which is a bit annoying for oncoming traffic ;)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I like aspects of your light layout though I don't know that I'd put a face on my bike. :lol:

There's something to be said for modulation the low beam. If I'm riding behind someone for any length of time I'd turn off the modulation. No focus group work but I'm of the opinion that a steady high beam in someones rearview is probably less annoying than a modulated HB.

I've never seen an indication of a complaint from other drivers even with my 55/60W bulbs (though those weren't in long compared to the 45/45Ws). Maybe some drivers weren't sufficiently motivated. If a modulator ever graces my bike it'll be for occasional use. No need to annoy.

Last edited:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I have HID's in the Victory and they are almost high beam intensity on low beam. You can definitely see me coming. No one has complained nor flashed their HB's at me so far and I get no attention from LEO's.

On my ST I have bright blue running lights (not modulated) up front and they seem to convince people I might be John Law so they definitely notice me.

As much as I like the colour bright yellow, I am not ready to paint my bike yet. But that is a nice paint job on yours.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
By using low beam during the day, it gives me the option of switching to high beam as I approach an intersection or anticipate a driver pulling out in front of me.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Low beam during day, high beam at night on those rare occassions (dim for oncoming traffic)

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for your responses.
Looks like 70% of us don't ride with high beams on during the day however 27% of us that don't also have additional forms of lighting. Interestingly there is a 3% difference between those that ride with high beams and those that use low beams with additional lighting.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
For me, there isn't a "Simple" answer.

First, I do have LED fork lights that are nice and bright, so I don't a have a need to have the high beams on during the day for freeway/interstate riding. When I'm riding surface streets I will have my modulator running with headlights on high beam or low beam, depending on how bright it is out there.

When Lane Splitting, and it's bright out, I'll have the modulator on high beam. OVERCAST days, I'll run low beam with the modulator.

Like I said, no "simple" answer. :D

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The question is about who uses high beams during the DAY.

Since I have converted to led's I usually just use the low beam during the day.

The times I have used the high beams is when I am with of the pack of riders who all run lights on high beam so that the leader can keep track of us... usualy four to six bikes in our group... The other time is when I am splitting lanes in heavy traffic. No modulator.

Now go get a beer and some popcorn....

Those of you who are using halogen lights need to know that the high beam has a lower life expectancy. Standard bulbs are 1,100 hours on low beam and only 230 hours on high beam. If you are using silverstar bulbs the low beam is only 150 hours and the high beam is worse at 50 hours. Carry spare halogen lightbulbs! Leds will give you more than 5000 hours or 300k miles.

Our vision has a staggering dynamic range from starlight to daylight in a snow field. It is more than 100 million to one. The darkside of our vision is handled by our rods, which we do not want to use for riding. The bright side of our vision uses our cones which gives us color and sharp center focus. The magic threshold where our vision switches gear is about 0.1 candle power or 1 lumen or 1 lux. This is an important metric to know. If you look at the beam patterns published by the top light makers the max range is defined at 1 lux. That would be between 200 to 300 feet for the halogen low beam (depending on the design of the reflector and lens) and up to 600 feet for the leds.. Now you can see much further than 600 feet but you are now using your rods and objects will look grey and you will start to loose your center sharp vision.... there is a broad transition here.

Ok the point here is that your super powerful lights are giving you 1 lux of light 600 feet in front of you at night which is a lot to see with. Now the noon day sun is going to give you 100,000 lux at 600 feet and everywhere else! There is so much light during the day that your High beams pale comprared to the power of the sun. Now your pupils which were wide open at night will constrict in the day reducing the light by 1/16. Your eyes will auto adjust for the rest of the range. Even on a gray cloudy day high beams are really not that bright...

So you are "safe" to use your high beams to be conspicous. But you may annoy some other drivers, that is a different matter.....

Here is a photo where the three bikes are all using high beams, the two ST1300 bikes in back are using Evitek G6 bulbs, The motorhome is using low beam.....

170614 Colorado (44)b.jpg

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I replied that, Yes,, I use my high beams during the daytime. But I don't leave them on high beam. I lower them for traffic, same as you would do at night. My 60/100 H4's are as bright on low beam,, as oem bulbs are on high. Only difference is the aiming and focus. LED's are brighter still. I modulate on both high and low beams with a SDC controller. Whether you choose to modulate your beams or not (that is a personal choice),, I recommend being as bright as possible without zapping other motorists. Hi-viz clothing is another helpful choice. Don't wear camo,,,, Cat'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
spiderman302 said:
The times I have used the high beams is when I am with of the pack of riders who all run lights on high beam so that the leader can keep track of us... usualy four to six bikes in our group...

Though I use high beams constantly during the daytime (I'm aware they 'run hotter' and have a shorter life) I like that it helps the lead puppy keep track of me. Back when I just low beam during the day I would switch to high beam with riding with buddies.

I'll ask my buddies how well they see me with the G6s compared to my previous 55/60W on high beam. I might switch to low during the daytime.

Some really great info on light and visual acuity spidey. Thanks!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Like some, I have LEDs and additional lights (fork mounted LEDs and under mirror LEDs). I get comments all the time about how bright the headlight is on LB without the added lights even on.
This morning I left a gas station and the person in the vehicle in front of me put up a hand to block the light from the mirror, didn't give me any gestures so I backed off a few more car lengths.

I like the LEDs a lot.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As has been pointed out in a few threads often converting headlights to LEDs requires readjustment of the headlights' aim.

A properly adjusted LED low beam shouldn't require a driver or rider to :cool: unless some ungodly bright bulbs are used.

Or it could be that someone is just extremely sensitive to bright points of light.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I get asked this question all the time when coaching MSF classes. I ask them what do you do in your car? Cars drivers aren't searching for motorcycles because the are not a threat to them. The one headlight no matter how bright is hard to see, especially when it's lined up with one of the headlights on the car or truck behind it. You are almost invisible when stopped in front of a semi with your head light lined up in front of one of theirs. Adding driving lights make that lighted triangle that make it more visible. Also high vis clothing, helmets, reflectors and paint make a bigger difference.

Top Bottom