Drink a pop while riding?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Definitely a regional thing: http://popvssoda.com

Lots of options for sodas. RAM makes a beverage holder; that plus a tube and bite valve will get you there.

--Mark
I see a lot of blue on that map in Florida. Just shows how many transplants we have. Calling it pop or soda is a dead give away that you aren't from here. So is the term no-see-ums.

Open face helmet, cup holder, & a travel tumbler. I'd use a Bubba Tumbler like this. I haven't tried it but I rode to NaStoc with an unnamed person who had this set up and bragged the whole way their how well his Bubba mug kept his drink cold.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibv9eyv4fWAhXnzFQKHe6_CagQjRwIBw&url=https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/bubba-20oz-hero-classic-coffee-mug/6000095238396&psig=AFQjCNHCEjHhUuTGqGOPvU8B_NkC5NrBiQ&ust=1504475828390728

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I sniped it off the net... replace the Bud with Root Beer or Mountain Dew... maybe Orange.

Beer-helmet.jpg

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just to get serious for a minute, I wouldn't think there would be any practical way to drink an open (i.e. "uncorked") carbonated drink while riding a motorcycle. You may think that your ST is all comfy and smooth, but any solid attachment point on the bike itself will almost certainly transmit enough vibrations to the beverage that its carbonated content won't stay carbonated very long. I think I would consider an uncarbonated cold drink such as iced tea or lemonade.

OP
OP
Davey1965
Bike
2004 ST1300
I ended up buying a 1.5L hydration bladder with the hose, ball valve and bite valve. about 15$...I'll set it in my magnetic tank bag...we'll see....thanks for all the ideas

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Almost looks like a space suit on an astronaut. Hey, they need their brew too!
Aerostitch...

The bladder is what I use, but I take lemon water with some coconut milk for electrolytes. Any kind of carbinated beverage would quickly expand. If you don't have enough room for expansion, it will become a garden hose when you open the straw.... a very sticky garden hose.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've used a CamelBak and a couple of bottles of some sport drink in the saddlebags. But we also stop for gas and grab a drink.

OP
OP
Davey1965
Bike
2004 ST1300
So if I fill the bladder with ice and coke the coke will expand and create pressure?...what If I only fill it 2/3 full

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
...what If I only fill it 2/3 full
What kind of bladder? Who knows. Maybe Bill Nye the Science Guy or someone expert in aerodynamics could calculate the ratio of soda to volume and include other variables like the top of bladder etc.

Vibration and probably heat will release the carbonation and pressure will build to a point where it force its way out if there's a weak point. A bite valve would probably be that point if the gas in soda exceeds the volume of the bladder.

In any event I'd guess that not being in a bottle or can the soda would go flat in short order. But for awhile you'd have supercharged delivery.

I stick with water because clean up is easy. If you use anything that might leave a residue maybe a rise with a 1:10 solution of chlorine bleach to water to disinfect would be a good idea. Or there are probably products available for that function.

STOC #
I prefer Diet Mountain Dew... starts out pretty flat to begin with... stays that way till the can is empty.

Jim

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Once it is flat... it is flat... it is like any other liquid... until clean up time. The sugars and syrup will make cleaning any kind of bladder system a nightmare.

Try flavoring your water with real lemon or lime. Fruits are naturally acidic and will be easier to keep clean.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I stick with water because clean up is easy. If you use anything that might leave a residue maybe a rise with a 1:10 solution of chlorine bleach to water to disinfect would be a good idea. Or there are probably products available for that function.
Don't think I would want to use chlorine bleach to clean anything that I will be drinking from, that isn't intended for ingestion and could potentially cause some serious discomfort or worse. Vinegar should be fine as a cleaning agent, a lot of us use that to clean our coffee pots and it is definitely non-toxic and used in cooking many dishes and in salad dressings, etc, so no problem ingesting it.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Vinegar is a natural acid... lemons and lime taste better...
Just sayin'...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't think I would want to use chlorine bleach to clean anything that I will be drinking from, that isn't intended for ingestion and could potentially cause some serious discomfort or worse. Vinegar should be fine as a cleaning agent, a lot of us use that to clean our coffee pots and it is definitely non-toxic and used in cooking many dishes and in salad dressings, etc, so no problem ingesting it.
I would not drink chlorine bleach neat either, but if you drink water, you are ingesting it anyway. Most municipal water is disinfected with chlorine, added usually in the form of diluted bleach. If you jump in a swimming pool, same thing (most of them, though there are other treatment methods - such as UV light). Campers can either buy water purification tablets or add a teaspoon of a diluted bleach solution (need to research this if you are going to do a survival gig, but ordinary bleach diluted has been suggested in more than one camping/hiking book).

If you use a bleach solution to clean the bladder system, I would be more concerned about damaging the plastic. A bladder rupture on anything other than a hot day might not be welcome.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
that isn't intended for ingestion and could potentially cause some serious discomfort or worse.
Uh no. the 1:10 solution is pretty common for just that purpose. There are other methods as well.

You watch dishes and clothes with soap which could potentially cause serious discomfort and possibly worse. That's why you rinse. But first you clean.

But obviously there are options and preferences.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
If you use a bleach solution to clean the bladder system, I would be more concerned about damaging the plastic. A bladder rupture on anything other than a hot day might not be welcome.

You're obviously unfamiliar with the procedure and conjuring up scenarios that just don't hold water.

This is a common practice. If you don't care for that particular process fine there are other options. But realistically there's more risk in getting on your motorcycle.

Top Bottom