Drink a pop while riding?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Drinking soda is probably more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. But hey, we have to die from something. Might as well be from doing something you like, whether it's riding bikes or drinking sodas or doing both at the same time!

Bike
2010 ST1300
You're obviously unfamiliar with the procedure and conjuring up scenarios that just don't hold water.

This is a common practice. If you don't care for that particular process fine there are other options. But realistically there's more risk in getting on your motorcycle.
Indeed I am not familiar with a bladder system - I don't own one. I don't understand how being concerned that bleach might damage the plastic conjures up any scenarios - if the plastic is damaged it might rupture.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
The ST1300 has a built in cup holder in the left fairing pocket!
Water bottles fit perfect, a can would need a riser placed beneath. Cuzi is recommended as it gets pretty warm in there (coffee would stay hot), but works great if you have an open face or modular helmet.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Drinking soda is probably more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. But hey, we have to die from something. Might as well be from doing something you like, whether it's riding bikes or drinking sodas or doing both at the same time!
Personally, if I want to have a cold one, I much prefer beer over soda, but not while I'm riding or driving. Problem with that is any drink with alcohol in it is good for DE-hydration, not hydration. H2O is still best for the latter, as well as the bladder ...

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't understand how being concerned that bleach might damage the plastic conjures up any scenarios - if the plastic is damaged it might rupture.
Because chlorine bleach cleaning causing burst bladders isn't a thing. IF the plastic MIGHT rupture... is more Henny Penny than reality. It doesn't conjure up scenarios. It is a conjured scenario. But I suppose if you worked at it it could happen.

It's a tried and true method. As I said there are also alternatives for the skittish.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Might as well be from doing something you like, whether it's riding bikes or drinking sodas or doing both at the same time!
LOL! True enough. Sometimes there's something to be said for quality of life over quantity of life.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nothing but water is good to stay hydraded while riding....period. There.....problem solved.
Some of us sweat more then others so an occasional Gatorade or Propel can replace the salts lost. I suffered through plenty of cramps before I asked the doc and took his advice.

For my long trips, when I feel like the occasional cola, I just buy it in the plastic bottles (smaller then 2L size). Keep it in the tankbag along with the Camelbak filled with ice-water. Will stay cool for awhile. To drink, unscrew top, raise modular face while ducking behind windscreen. Take a few sips, lower modular, replace cap, store in tank bag, continue ride on!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
Some of us sweat more then others so an occasional Gatorade or Propel can replace the salts lost. I suffered through plenty of cramps before I asked the doc and took his advice.
Not just +1 but:plus1: !

I get both hand and leg cramps so besides water I'll have an occasional Gatorade or Propel in between watering. I'll have a soda at a fuel stop but haven't yet felt the desire to have one while riding. But I do have a modular helmet just in case!

Now if only somebody made a pressure proof flip top cap for a 20oz soda bottle. Of course one should NEVER drink and ride because who knows what could happen! :eek:4: :rofl1:

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Handful of Pop Rocks
Drink some refreshing water
Instant soda pop

OP
OP
Davey1965
Bike
2004 ST1300
UPDATE:...I tried the pop and ice in the hydration bladder....the carbonation puffed the bladder a tiny bit, but not enough pressure to create pressure in the hose...the worst thing is the pop went flat in short order...real short order...it was not hard to clean...I'll just stick with water...I put the bladder in my tank bag and put the hose in my lap...lifted the modular helmet and drank...to find this type of bladder I just went to amazon and searched hydration bladder...mine was about $17...it has a ball valve in the hose and a bite valve in the end you suck on...I did have to get a razor blade and make the hole you suck on a little bigger.....All that being said...I have only tried it once....time will tell if its a good idea.....thanks for all the ideas guys.....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I used a CamelBak on the road to MT (and back) with ice and water. The hose was threaded through a loop on the Bak's strap and very handy. I just slipped it under the chin bar and didn't have to raise it at all.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Stupid thread alert !

Stop the dam bike, get off and stretch your legs and drink your "pop" :D
Maybe if you have a short day.. and if you want a whole pop at once... me I don't waste time stopping to stretch while I can do that standing up in the saddle and I only sip a bit of cola at a time.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Replace top box with mini refrigerated cooler box.

or

Replace top box with pony keg, pump and hose, Peltier cooling system...

thermoelectric-cooling-portable-fridge.jpg

12vCooler.jpg

2_5_ball_lock_keg_system_with_picnic_front_aih.jpg

usb-mini-fridge.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
spiderman302 said:
Replace top box with mini refrigerated cooler box.
Or place a mini refrigerated cooler box in the top box. I'd like to run some tubing from one of those to a jacket! Not for the soda but for the refrigeration. :D Ok maybe for the soda too. :D:D

Bike
2010 ST1300
Why not just get a Veskimo and fill it with pop? Cut the tubing, put in a 'T' with a bite valve and you have your pop and you can drink it too. With body cooling thrown in for good measure. In the winter, use hot chocolate......:bow1:

Top Bottom