R1200RTW Maintenance Interval

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I realize this is an ST website. However, there are several owners/riders of the BMW R1200RTW and I've come to trust and value the wisdom of all members on this site.
Therefore, I'm seeking help in understanding the maintenance intervals for the RT. Especially, I'm looking for information regarding oil changes and valve checks. Oil chances appear to be every 6,000 miles. Value check, I'm confused if they are every 6k or 12k or; 6k, 12k, 6k, 12k....on a rotating basis.
Thanks in advance.
Tom

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Tom, it is every 12000 miles (more explicitly, every 20000 km) for valve checks. There is other maintenance that is annual, others 6000 miles but NTE 1 yr, others 12000mi but NTE 2 yr, so it is confusing. The only one i recall that is irregular is brake fluid.... 1yr first change, then 2 yr thereafter.

And correct, oil changes are 6000 mi, not to exceed 1 yr..

I'm not at a regular computer or I'd find and attach the schedule.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Valve check, I'm confused if they are every 6k or 12k or; 6k, 12k, 6k, 12k....on a rotating basis.
they appear to be every 6k, which seems like overkill to me, but that's the recommendation.

here's a schedule: https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT/Maintenance-interval-service/

apparently a lot of people are confused, but the consensus seems to be you do all the items in the 6k list every 6k, and do all the items in the 12k list every 12k (plus all the 6k items, but a lot of them are redundant between both lists anyway). Since valve checks are in both lists, it would appear you do them every 6k.

Others have interpreted the two lists to mean to do everything in the 6k list once, at 6k, then do everything in the 12k list every 12k after that. I would not interpret it that way myself, but the schedule is a bit confusing, so who knows exactly what it means.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Prior to the redesign of 2014 valve checks were 6K but after that the water/oil cooled 1200s are at 12k check interval.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Attached are 2 pages showing the complete maintenance schedule from the RTW owner's manual:
2014+ R1200RT Wethead Maint Schedule p188.jpg.2014+ R1200RT Wethead Maint Schedule p189.jpg

they appear to be every 6k, which seems like overkill to me, but that's the recommendation.
here's a schedule: https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT/Maintenance-interval-service/
apparently a lot of people are confused, but the consensus seems to be you do all the items in the 6k list every 6k, and do all the items in the 12k list every 12k (plus all the 6k items, but a lot of them are redundant between both lists anyway). Since valve checks are in both lists, it would appear you do them every 6k.
Others have interpreted the two lists to mean to do everything in the 6k list once, at 6k, then do everything in the 12k list every 12k after that. I would not interpret it that way myself, but the schedule is a bit confusing, so who knows exactly what it means.
Dwalby, the info you stated is for past RT airheads and oilheads, not for current RT Wetheads.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
thanks for the correction, and my apologies for any confusion I caused.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I realize this is an ST website. However, there are several owners/riders of the BMW R1200RTW and I've come to trust and value the wisdom of all members on this site.
Therefore, I'm seeking help in understanding the maintenance intervals for the RT. Especially, I'm looking for information regarding oil changes and valve checks. Oil chances appear to be every 6,000 miles. Value check, I'm confused if they are every 6k or 12k or; 6k, 12k, 6k, 12k....on a rotating basis.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Said it before and I'll say it again: there is one way, guaranteed to get rid of most manufacturer required maintenance: GET THE MANUFACTURER TO PAY FOR IT.

When BMW went to 50,000 mile/ 5 year free maintenance, my twin turbo Z4 went to maintenance free. Even computer directed oil changes became so infrequent with frequent customer complaints, that BMW changed the requirement to when computer directed but at least once a year :D.

That said; my 15 R1200RTW had unchanging valves at my (personal comfort level) directed intervals of 18,000 and 36,000 miles ........ I intend to use about 50,000-75,000 miles as my valve check interval for both my 15 RT and 16 R1200RS. I've never had a problem with my BMW's just riding, fixing what breaks, and changing oil and tires :).

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
carpdm

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
John,
Thanks so much. That's exactly what I was looking for. Once again, I knew the wisdom of people on this forum would come through.
Tom

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
It looks like everything has been covered.
600 mile break in check
Then 6,000 mile which is basic oil and filter change.
12,000 mile is considered the big one with oil changes, rear diff fluid, air filter, spark plugs, valve check and I had them do brake fluid change at same time instead of bringing it back in springtime. My bike was still under warranty so I had Max BMW do the 12,000 mile service, oh yeah they checked for any codes too.

The only thing I would do is change rear diff with every oil change, even though BMW doesn't recommend it, its cheap enough...why not? My next service interval is 18,000 which I plan on oil, filter and rear diff. I find that the RT is the easiest oil change I have even done.
If you going to do your own oil changes beemerboneyard.com is a great place to get your oil, filter, fluids, brake pads, etc for your Beemer.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
If you going to do your own oil changes beemerboneyard.com is a great place to get your oil, filter, fluids, brake pads, etc for your Beemer.
And if you aspire to get even deeper into maintaining your RT yourself take a look at Jim Von Baden's instructional video maintenance DVD's available from Beemer Boneyard also. They are also available directly from Jim at http://jimvonbaden.com In addition to the DVD's his site has a lot of good maintenance info as well with tech pictorials that are available just to browse and other maintenance info.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I own a 2005 RT, known as the hex head. I check valves, and change oil somewhere between 6-9000 miles. Depends on my mood LOL. The bike has 85k miles and never had a problem with the motor.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I own a 2005 RT, known as the hex head. I check valves, and change oil somewhere between 6-9000 miles. Depends on my mood LOL. The bike has 85k miles and never had a problem with the motor.
Guy, didn't a problem with fuel delivery keep you from riding the RT for an extended period? The 2007 RT I recently bought had 188,xxx miles on it when the dealer did a leakdown test on it prior to my purchase. 196/195 psi cylinders with 5-6% leakdown. Those are great numbers for any used bike never mind one knocking on 200K.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Guy, didn't a problem with fuel delivery keep you from riding the RT for an extended period? The 2007 RT I recently bought had 188,xxx miles on it when the dealer did a leakdown test on it prior to my purchase. 196/195 psi cylinders with 5-6% leakdown. Those are great numbers for any used bike never mind one knocking on 200K.
Yes, a few years ago my RT was iced for almost a year, cause? Leaking fuel pump. I delayed repairing it because I had 2 other bikes to ride. But I missed riding the RT. I thought it to be some kind of gasket or hose issue. Good thing I waited to fix it. BMW Mottorad sent a notice a recall was underway concerning leaking fuel pumps. This was in 2014, almost 9 years after I bought it new.

I was informed the fix was a new gasket and if deemed necessary, the new upgraded fuel pump going on the new bikes. The bike was towed to Pensacola Fla (150 miles from here). Towing fee part of the recall. The dealer advised I was eligible for the upgraded fuel pump. Total fee was 800 dollars plus the tow. I was told ethanol gas was culprit on the first fuel pump, and the new pump was designed to deal with it. I have not had a problem since.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, a few years ago my RT was iced for almost a year, cause? Leaking fuel pump. I delayed repairing it because I had 2 other bikes to ride. But I missed riding the RT. I thought it to be some kind of gasket or hose issue. Good thing I waited to fix it. BMW Mottorad sent a notice a recall was underway concerning leaking fuel pumps. This was in 2014, almost 9 years after I bought it new.

I was informed the fix was a new gasket and if deemed necessary, the new upgraded fuel pump going on the new bikes. The bike was towed to Pensacola Fla (150 miles from here). Towing fee part of the recall. The dealer advised I was eligible for the upgraded fuel pump. Total fee was 800 dollars plus the tow. I was told ethanol gas was culprit on the first fuel pump, and the new pump was designed to deal with it. I have not had a problem since.
My RT had the fuel pump recall done as well.

Top Bottom