2024 Miles
STOC #
Congrats on your "tiring"!

It's a PIA for sure.

One major reason I was sorry to see Byron move out to Kentucky! :eek:4:

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I seem to change a lot of tires. I use a HF bead breaker and a pair of 9" spoons. It probably takes me less time than it would to set up a tire changer properly. I've been taught 2 rules that I live by changing tires.#1 If it is hard, you are doing something wrong. #2 Little bites. I can take 30 bites with a spoon and have the tire on way quicker than if I try to get it on in 6-8 bites. I just got one of the yellow things but I haven't tried it yet.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I like using the ty-wrap method for removing the tires, 1 bar, 1 rim protector, 1 rubber mallet. Install is 6-7 ty-wraps, tire lube, and 2-3 pushes.

I have seen a video on duck tape for the install and lube.. this will be next. My rear is almost bald and I drive on PR4GT

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Does your center rod fit through the axle hole on the rear wheel with the wheel bearings in the wheel? Only the threaded end of the rod fit in my center hole. The rest of the rod is too large in diameter.
There is a thread with HF tire changer mods.

One of mine was the center bar being too big for the St wheels. Cut it about 2" up from the threads. Then go to a local farm store or steel supplier and get a piece of 3/4" steel round rod 2' long. You can then screw the lower 2" piece into the threads and insert the 3/4" rod through the upper arm and the wheel. If you change another wheel and you want the larger diameter of the original bar just slip it over the top of the 3/4 rod.

2218.jpg

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I do everything with spoons and a homemade bead breaker. It's always an adventure, but it sounds like an adventure anyway, even with the "changers".
I've been doing the same, actually I drilled the right size hole through a 2x4 for the axle to fit through so I can put the 2x4 with axle through it into the vise on the bench and slide the tire down on the axle to keep it in place. No worry about the rotors or the rim hitting anything. It's still an adventure spooning the tire off but I think most of that issue would be resolved by a longer spoon, which I will have by the time I do another tire.

My biggest issue is breaking the bead... What are you using as your homemade bead breaker?

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I hope you don't think less of me if I admit to laughing out loud at your tire tirade.
Answers the question of mounting my own tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
07 ST1300
I've been doing the same, actually I drilled the right size hole through a 2x4 for the axle to fit through so I can put the 2x4 with axle through it into the vise on the bench and slide the tire down on the axle to keep it in place. No worry about the rotors or the rim hitting anything. It's still an adventure spooning the tire off but I think most of that issue would be resolved by a longer spoon, which I will have by the time I do another tire.

My biggest issue is breaking the bead... What are you using as your homemade bead breaker?
This below. The angle cut on the short piece is important but it pops the bead like nothing. Door hinge or whatever you have laying around to join the 2 pieces.
I would like to see a pic of your arrangement as well.
EDIT: BTW that long 2x4 is about 7 or 8 feet long. The older you are the longer it needs to be!
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
This below. The angle cut on the short piece is important but it pops the bead like nothing. Door hinge or whatever you have laying around to join the 2 pieces.
EDIT: BTW that long 2x4 is about 7 or 8 feet long. The older you are the longer it needs to be!
[/URL][/IMG]
Thanks for the pic. I have seen that setup in pics before. I'll have to give it a shot next time.
I'll look to see if I have pic when I get home tonight. If not I'll put the "jig" in the vise and shoot a pic so you can at least get an idea of what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I hope you don't think less of me if I admit to laughing out loud at your tire tirade.
Answers the question of mounting my own tires.
Not at all. Tire-ade. I think the biggest problem was dealing with my expectations that this would not be so difficult. I've read a lot of posts in which people talk about changing tires - some guys do it five or more times a year on HF changers - and until this thread, I'd not seen anyone be candid about how much work or how difficult it can be. Part of the problem is no doubt due to my inexperience, part to the rigid carcass on my Angel GT's, and part to the height of the HF lift.

Had I known then (before buying the HFTC) what I know now, I would have put more effort into finding a shop that would change the tires while I waited (I'd bring them wheels and tires) instead of 'leave the wheel and we will mount it later'. Not sure I what decision I would have made.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Not at all. Tire-ade. I think the biggest problem was dealing with my expectations that this would not be so difficult. I've read a lot of posts in which people talk about changing tires - some guys do it five or more times a year on HF changers - and until this thread, I'd not seen anyone be candid about how much work or how difficult it can be. Part of the problem is no doubt due to my inexperience, part to the rigid carcass on my Angel GT's, and part to the height of the HF lift.

Had I known then (before buying the HFTC) what I know now, I would have put more effort into finding a shop that would change the tires while I waited (I'd bring them wheels and tires) instead of 'leave the wheel and we will mount it later'. Not sure I what decision I would have made.
I watched a video of a guy mounting a PR4 using zip ties and irons. Looked pretty easy. I'm sure it wasn't his first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I watched a video of a guy mounting a PR4 using zip ties and irons. Looked pretty easy. I'm sure it wasn't his first time.
That's what i do. It's easy with PR4's. Posted a pic of it. Other tires with stiffer beads don't work so well.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Thanks for the pic. I have seen that setup in pics before. I'll have to give it a shot next time.
I'll look to see if I have pic when I get home tonight. If not I'll put the "jig" in the vise and shoot a pic so you can at least get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Sorry for the delay, kept thinking about pics but then SQUIRREL...
The pole is how the axle would be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
[/URL][/IMG]
See above post, guess I replied to my own instead of yours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I too had to travel 35 to 45 minutes to a shop. Drop the bike off and the wife gave me a ride home. Then do that in reverse in a couple of days. Get charged $50-75 a tire. I bought the No-mar changer with the hitch mount. It hangs on the wall and I back the truck up to the garage and 5 minutes later it is set up ready to go. PR4's are my tire of choice. My 11 year old who is 5'3" broke the bead and removed the tire. I put the new one on after it sat in the sun on the concrete drive for an hour or so. I use the yellow thing, two extra hands to push the tire down towards the center of the rim.
+1 on if it is hard you are not doing something quite right. I get better each time.
Hardest tire to date was the rear tire of my GW1800. Tough and fighting it could not get it. Went in to watch the video as I knew I had to be forgetting something. Sure enough... I wasn't using the wood blocks that they suggest you make. I was done shortly after that. I like the No-mar changer very much. I am changing tires enough that it has saved me about half of it's purchase price in two years maybe 3. Tire cost is about the same as the dealers discounted price but I save about $30 to $40 if I mail order as I don't pay tax. I can order and they are on my porch the next day or two. I can mount and balance a set of tires in the time it takes me to go to the shop and back. Especially if I have to go back again to pick it up. Plus it gives me the chance to look my bike over. I also bought a Derek Weaver MC lift. Got tired of driving to dealer and paying them and not getting good enough service to make me happy. Have not regretted the lift or the No-mar changer. Even my wife supported me on the lift when she walked out into the garage and I showed her how it worked. Said that that was one of the best purchases I had made in a while. She thought that it was wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom