ABS/CBS question whilst the fairing is off?

Bike
ST1300
Half the fairing on the left hand side of my bike is currently off due to anther fault,so whilst it is I thought I've had issues with abs light coming on randomly at times,I'd take a look at the unit as others have mentioned fraying wires.
i can see the unit no problems,but how easy is it to remove so I can inspect it? I don't want to run the risk of damaging any other wires as it looks quite tight in there?
any help very much appreciated on this one please

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Half the fairing on the left hand side of my bike is currently off due to anther fault,so whilst it is I thought I've had issues with abs light coming on randomly at times,I'd take a look at the unit as others have mentioned fraying wires.
i can see the unit no problems,but how easy is it to remove so I can inspect it? I don't want to run the risk of damaging any other wires as it looks quite tight in there?
any help very much appreciated on this one please
The ABS servos for both the front and rear wheels are on the right side.

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Really? There's a white box with what looks to be all the wiring for the ABS which look very similar to a previous post on here regarding wires breaking down? Please accept my apologies if I'm wrong?

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
In fact I owe you an apology right now,I have an 1100 & ive posted in the wrong forum. Sorry

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Can someone please confirm if the control unit for the abs/cbs is on the right? If yes what on earth is the white box on the left with loads of wires going into it?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Acording to my Clymer the control and the pump motor is located on the right side. On the left side is the ICM I think

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Thanks Kiltman
i take it the ICM is the ignition/information control module?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
In fact I owe you an apology right now,I have an 1100 & ive posted in the wrong forum. Sorry

My comments were relevant to the ST1300, yes the control unit (computer for the ABS is on the left side on the ST1100. Don't recall where the servos are... Sold my 1100 in 2005.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks Kiltman
i take it the ICM is the ignition/information control module?
Yes it is.
I would check ground connections, as a loose ground can create havoc with the computer. The one that was loose on my bike was from the main loom and it's connected behind the foldable grab handle

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Another common cause of ABS faults on ST1100, in addition to a faulty ground, is a weak or failing battery.

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Yes it is.
I would check ground connections, as a loose ground can create havoc with the computer. The one that was loose on my bike was from the main loom and it's connected behind the foldable grab handle
I did look for that parti ground,but it appeared there wasn't one there on mine?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is an aluminium clad unit with a couple of multi-pin connectors and contained in a plastic shroud at the left hand side of the fairing. It is worth disconnecting these and ensuring that the contacts and wires are clean.

Intermittent ABS light could be due to the air gap between sensor and pulsar ring being incorrect, stray bits of wire (eg from a wire brush) attaching themselves to the face of the sensor (they are magnetic), or mucky castellation in the pulsar ring - eg clogged with the muck which is redistributed from Devon's fields to the roads at this time of year.

Also possible is chafed 3 core wire leading to the sensor.

Do you get an error code ?

Take a look at this link which is everything that I found out about tracking down a faulty ABS sensor many years ago. My model was a UK 2000 ABS/CBS/TCS. Some of the info might be of use to you.

Top Bottom