ST1100 rattle at 3000 RPMs

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi gang, I'm about a week into owning a '98 ST1100 non ABS. Love the bike so far (500 miles of great rides), but I feel/hear a slight rattle at (exactly) 3000 RPMs - most noticeably in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Above that there's enough other noise going on that I don't really hear it. My first guess was that it's an exhaust heat-shield rattle. PO says he didn't notice it (they never do), but suspects it could be a vibration on the drive shaft. Thoughts? TIA

was it a rattle or more of a 'pink pink' noise? Mine does a 'pink pink' noise at around the same revs and then it goes away?
P

Bike
VStrom 650
Heat shield.
They rot out and come loose.
It might be enough just to tweak them in or out a little.
Access isn't great you might have to remove the small side engine covers but that's a two minute job.
It may not be the heat shield but that's what I'd put my money on.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
You should also check and re-tighten all the body fasteners you can find.
I did find an exhaust shield bolt rattling on mine, then when that was resolved, cinching up the rest of the connectors will bring down the vibration that can happen at certain rpms.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have a heat shield rattle at that rpm and it bugs the heck out of me. I'm in a campground for another month and am not prepared to take the Tupperware off to check. I'm holding out till I can get it into a controlled environment so i won't loose anything in the process.

OP
OP
Qwispy
Bike
2007 ST1300
was it a rattle or more of a 'pink pink' noise? Mine does a 'pink pink' noise at around the same revs and then it goes away?
P
Rattle. Thought I heard the pink-pink last night on a ride, but I think I've been reading too many posts :)

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
No need for better fuel, it runs fine when warm and is designed to run on regular gas.
If the Idle jets are the larger Euro spec it happens less.

Bike
VStrom 650
For anyone with this annoyance make sure you make it easy for yourself. When it's rattling grab an oven glove and just put a little pressure on the heat shields one at a time. That way you're not blindly tweaking shields that have no issues.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

I'm in the uk so we only have two types of fuel 95 or 97 RON- and its definitely 'pink pink' what grades of fuel do you have in the US?
9 out of 10 times i put in 95

Bike
VStrom 650
Your ST11 will run properly on any UK fuel, if it isn't running right then it's another issue.
RON or Octane rating is probably unimportant as far as clean running is concerned but 99 RON is commonly available and would offer benefits when storing for long periods. The benefits in premium fuel is that it contains high quality detergents which will keep things sweet.
Pans don't generally suffer Pinking, they do suffer from very rattly heatshields, FWIW.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Qwispy
Bike
2007 ST1300
Hey Paul - in the US, our fuel choices are 87, 89, or 91/92 Octane. There is about a $0.30 difference in cost per gallon. Should run fine I'm told on the standard 87 Octane, but I've been running 92 recently just because. Will probably go back to 87 soon. In some states, including NY, their 91 octane has 0% ethanol which I prefer. All grades of gas on the west coast have 10% ethanol. I'm also using a fuel additive just to keep the carbs clean, because I've been having a hard time keeping the idle setting where I want it. I try to dial it in for 1100 RPMs when the bike is warm, but it usually idles much lower.

I'm in the uk so we only have two types of fuel 95 or 97 RON- and its definitely 'pink pink' what grades of fuel do you have in the US?
9 out of 10 times i put in 95

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I get the exact same thing - it's a thin/tinny sound on yours no? I sometimes use that to know I'm at 3,000rpms without looking at the tachometer. Heat shield on mine - when I did some work on mine a while back I adjusted that shield and the sound changed, but it needs to be squeezed together with a patch.

Top Bottom