New to me - new bike day

Bike
ST1300
Tomorrow (6 September) will be ''new to me new bike day' :D I'm going from a silver 2006 ST13 to a late 2008 ST13 in dark metalic grey, lower mileage, perfect service history and one owner from new - a now retired policeman.

Apparently the 2008 models also received a few updates, which is nice, but from a layman's perspective I didn't notice any difference during the test ride so I'm guessing they weren't performance related.

:headbang:

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Congratulations on you new to you bike. You must have it by now, since you are hours ahead of us in western Canada.
Kenny

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Apparently the 2008 models also received a few updates, which is nice, but from a layman's perspective I didn't notice any difference during the test ride so I'm guessing they weren't performance related.
In the US, starting with the 2008 model year, there were some "minor" updates. The only ones that come to my mind are that Honda modified the Secondary Master Cylinder (aka, SMC), and the front calipers are a different size and construction.

OP
OP
Iron Maiden
Bike
ST1300
It's 08:42 I'm leaving soon, I've had little sleep due to excitement, isn't it great that no matter how old you are stuff like this still makes you feel like a kid at Christmas again :)

FieSTa45 - I'll gladly do a report later, got a 4 hour ride home so plenty of time to get to know my new baby, might even stop for a photo...or two.

OP
OP
Iron Maiden
Bike
ST1300
OK, I did promise a ride report and this is going to be a short one with an unexpected outcome:

Rode to dealer, paperwork done, rode away on my new bike, got 20 miles up the motorway (freeway) and it felt like it had front and rear punctures, stopped...tyres fine, couldn't see anything out of place so I took the seat off to check only to find that the shock was completely rusted???? In fact everything under there looked rusted and I mean everything, like it had been sat in water for months??
Back to the dealer, rejected the bike, paperwork done, rode away on old bike.

The outcome:
Rode to BMW a week later, did a deal on a lovely 2010 twin cam R1200RT, 17,000 miles with full service history, they threw in 24 months full BMW warranty (incl BMW European Assist), 12 months tax, 12 months MOT, new set of Michelin PR4 GT's, service this week (oil + filter, air filter, gearbox oil, FD oil), it's got all the toys, get it at the end of this week (29 Sept)...first thing I did on the test ride was get a couple miles down the road and pull into a layby, whip the seat off, the panniers off and crawl all over it, once bitten and all that!

Is inclusion to this forum allowed whilst owning German?

Last edited:
Glad you found the rust before it was too late to return it!!

Beemers are cool too! For that matter most anything with two wheels draws my interest.

Rayjoe

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
All are welcome, as long as you fit the Motto......."You meet the nicest people on a .........!"

Right Joe..????

ToddC

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Congrats on the Beemer. We were close on an R1200GS but eventually decided on the ST.
I'm really curious about what was the story on the ST. Seems odd to have a great bike on the outside be so neglected.
No test ride I'm assuming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer on the st. Glad you found it early and was able to return it. My co-worker has the same bmw. They are tall bikes and seem to handle very well. Congrats on your new bike.

Top Bottom