OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I always fill using the same routine (on centerstand and virtually to the rim) and my fuel gauge and range are typically very predictable at about 320 miles when first down to the one flashing bar.

That is great gas mileage. I normally go till 280 on the interstate at approximately 75 -80 mph (indicated), when I hit the one flashing bar. I also fill on the center stand to the rim.
Interesting as I've got about 200 kms or around 160 miles on this tank and I'm at three bars. 95% city driving. I'm very curious to see what the mileage is when I get the flashing bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I don't know if I missed this part, but after startup and the idle goes up to around 1500, does it drop after or when you get the first bar on the temp gauge? If the idle stays up and the bike is warm, along with increased fuel consumption, the starter valves could be sticky and causing a rich condition. A TB Sync and the T cleaning is not a bad start. I get just short of 100 kms for each bar on the fuel gauge while hwy riding, so it actually doesn't seem excessive for you.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I don't know if I missed this part, but after startup and the idle goes up to around 1500, does it drop after or when you get the first bar on the temp gauge? If the idle stays up and the bike is warm, along with increased fuel consumption, the starter valves could be sticky and causing a rich condition. A TB Sync and the T cleaning is not a bad start. I get just short of 100 kms for each bar on the fuel gauge while hwy riding, so it actually doesn't seem excessive for you.
The idle settles down to about 850 or so about the same time as the first bar appears. The idle seems low to me to be honest.
I plan to do a TB sync before changing anything. Need to read up on the T cleaning as I'm not entirely sure what that's about.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
That's because the idle speed is too low. It should be 1000 +/- 100 rpm.
:plus1: Turn in the idle adjustment when warmed up unless that one is seized. They can seize but there is a nice fix on this website of a permanent repair. If its not seized and you have the airbox off for...perhaps for the TB sync and T cleaning, that's a great time to throw your favorite squirt of lube on the threads to that idle screw.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I always fill using the same routine (on centerstand and virtually to the rim) and my fuel gauge and range are typically very predictable at about 320 miles when first down to the one flashing bar.

That is great gas mileage. I normally go till 280 on the interstate at approximately 75 -80 mph (indicated), when I hit the one flashing bar. I also fill on the center stand to the rim.
You're driving/riding a bit faster than my average 65ish. No interstate and few four lane roads traveled much by me up here, mostly two lane rural stuff and I seek out the less traveled keeping a wide alert for the forest rats (deer). The fuel mileage starts to drop off significantly after about 65-70, so your numbers seem quite respectable in comparison.

Bike
04 ST1300
I don't know if I missed this part, but after startup and the idle goes up to around 1500, does it drop after or when you get the first bar on the temp gauge? If the idle stays up and the bike is warm, along with increased fuel consumption, the starter valves could be sticky and causing a rich condition. A TB Sync and the T cleaning is not a bad start. I get just short of 100 kms for each bar on the fuel gauge while hwy riding, so it actually doesn't seem excessive for you.[/

What are your speeds during highway riding

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
What are your speeds during highway riding[/quote)

I lock my Rostra Cruise at 130 km/h +/- 8 km/h. That's a GPS speed. I have computed the MPG and that is 51.1 imperial MPG all highway at that speed. US gallon is smaller so that would only be 42.55 mpg US. I am happy with that. I can get 410 kms and not hit the reserve yet, and I have gone 556 kms when the reserve flashed -- is all i saw on kms till empty. I was concerned but made it and added 27 liters of fuel.

Bike
04 ST1300
What are your speeds during highway riding[/quote)

I lock my Rostra Cruise at 130 km/h +/- 8 km/h. That's a GPS speed. I have computed the MPG and that is 51.1 imperial MPG all highway at that speed. US gallon is smaller so that would only be 42.55 mpg US. I am happy with that. I can get 410 kms and not hit the reserve yet, and I have gone 556 kms when the reserve flashed -- is all i saw on kms till empty. I was concerned but made it and added 27 liters of fuel.
That is not a bad mileage at 130 km/h (GPS). I normally get 40 mpg at about 75 mph (gps).
As for covering 556 kms in 27 liters, that equates to about 48 mpg. If you achieved that at 130 km/h, that awesome.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Your mileage can be improved upon with a little tuning here and there. I get 56 mpg at an indicated 80mph (75mph).
Of course I keep mine in a stupid state of tune (always throwing wrenches at it). I also run with the stock shield in the lowest position. Raising it up burns a lot of fuel.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
DavidR8 said:
Being new to the bike, we were at three bars remaining so we filled up.
I make it a point to fill up at three bars since I got the bike in 2011. I went down to the flashing gas pump and never want to do that again. Three bars is good enough for me.

Bike
04 ST1300
Your mileage can be improved upon with a little tuning here and there. I get 56 mpg at an indicated 80mph (75mph).
Of course I keep mine in a stupid state of tune (always throwing wrenches at it). I also run with the stock shield in the lowest position. Raising it up burns a lot of fuel.
I ride with the windshield all the way up. I will try lowering it all the way down and see how much difference it makes on the mpg readout.

Bike
04 ST1300
I make it a point to fill up at three bars since I got the bike in 2011. I went down to the flashing gas pump and never want to do that again. Three bars is good enough for me.
The last three bars have atleast three gallons of gas and well over 120 miles of riding. I normally fill when its flashing. But to each his own.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Nice picture! However, I see your using the OEM key.....Don't do that :well1: these keys are very thin and can bend very easily, and break off in the Ignition, gas cap, glove box, or saddlebags! Have a couple spare ones made, and use them for daily riding, and keep the Honda one for making copies.
That picture would make a nice screen saver...
Glad your enjoying your new bike.
Igofar
Just got copies today at True Value. After reading this post l noticed a stress crack on my OEM key. Definitely saved me some hassle.

Bike
04 ST1300
I tried this today. Rode 25 miles with the shield down and 25 fully up. No difference in the mpg display. A big difference in the wind trying to knock me off the bike.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I tried this today. Rode 25 miles with the shield down and 25 fully up. No difference in the mpg display. A big difference in the wind trying to knock me off the bike.
Perhaps a better test is to find a straight, level road, with no gusting wind and ride at a steady (say 60mph) speed with the shield down, for say 30 seconds. In that time the mpg readout should be updated just twice. Then without moving the throttle or changing your own position, raise the shield and ride for 45 seconds and watch the speedo display. Note the display can be set to show Average consumption as well as 'instant' consumption. The term instant is used loosely as it takes up to 15 secs to change.

Re the OPs question about 2 bars. I wouldn't worry about that - my first 1300 was pretty good with its segment display, each segment representing roughly the same amount of fuel. My present model is not so good like that - it drops off the first segment very quickly, and sometimes doesn't register the last segment if I don't quite fill it. The other segments are pretty constant, but it always takes 2-3 litres less fuel than I am expecting from the gauge.

Only a sample of two, but clearly they are not all the same !

[Edit]For Uk & European members with HISS - the ECM will allow only 4 different keys to be programmed. But I use a non-chipped steel key for fuel, panniers and fairing pocket to avoid wear and tear on the soft metal of the Honda Blanks.[/Edit]

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Tried that as well. No difference in consumption per the mpg readout.
As for the fuel segment. If the tank is filled to the neck, the first segment in my case disappears in abut 20 miles . As for the last two segments, I have routinely gotten 90-95 miles before filling and that too riding at 80 mph indicated. I guess each bike is not the same. I also think the mpg indicated by the bike is a little lower than actual.

Top Bottom