Trickle Charger Connect

Bike
1992 ST1100
I want to use a trickle charger on my bike as I don't ride much and the last two times I had to jump it.

Getting to battery is a hassle. So I was thinking that there might exist some type of connector that I could hook up to my battery's jump clip and dangle outside of the bike. I'm sure I could fabricate something that would work but I figured I'd ask here first. Is there something specific out there in aftermarketland that can be added to my 92 ST1100 for this very purpose?

Is this what I should be looking to get?

41VsIIrwInL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1992 ST1100
Thanks. Will I have to pull off the seat, luggage box, and side panel whenever I want to plug it into my bike?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is this what I should be looking to get?
Close. You should get one with an inline fuse. The Battery Tender Jr. that Mike suggests comes with that. Wire it up and you're plug and play.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks. Will I have to pull off the seat, luggage box, and side panel whenever I want to plug it into my bike?
No. Just route the SAE pigtail so it fits in behind the handle you use to put the bike on its centerstand.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
No. Just route the SAE pigtail so it fits in behind the handle you use to put the bike on its centerstand.
OR . . . more conveniently, where it can also be tucked away when not in use - have it come out of the hole in the left side panel right where the battery is located.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I added a cigarette lighter to my bike to charge my cell phone, etc. It's fused, but connected directly to the battery. I just plug my trickle charge into it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got the fused dual-powerlet panel on my bike that I can use with an adapter. I've also got a Battery Tender SAE pigtail on the right side of the bike.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
IMO, the wiring that comes with a Battery Tender is not heavy enough to be used to jump start the bike. I think that it is 16ga. It is fine for charging the battery, but I think that, at a minimum, 10ga wire should be used (8ga even better) if you are contemplating using it to jump start. You can get 10ga SAE plug wire setups at RV / marine parts places.

https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/J375APF09/10+Gauge+2+pin+SAE+Connector+Quick+Disconnect+Harness+Bullet+Lead+Cable+1+Ft.html

Simply cut one end off, solder ring ends on and hook it to the battery. You can then use it for trickle charge and jump starting. Just run it out a convenient place where you can get at it. Make sure that the + pole is connected to the female side of the connector. You can wire in an inline fuse if you like.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
qman said:
I want to use a trickle charger on my bike as I don't ride much and the last two times I had to jump it.
drrod said:
IMO, the wiring that comes with a Battery Tender is not heavy enough to be used to jump start the bike.

He was asking about using a trickle charger on his bike.

But since you mentioned it— not only is the wiring not heavy enough for a jump start (he probably had jumper cables of some kind) any attempt would blow the inline fuse rendering the capacity of the wiring moot.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
He was asking about using a trickle charger on his bike.

But since you mentioned it— not only is the wiring not heavy enough for a jump start (he probably had jumper cables of some kind) any attempt would blow the inline fuse rendering the capacity of the wiring moot.
Also mentioned jump starting and the hassle of getting to the battery, hence my reference to heavier wire hookup which solves both issues.

Bike
ST1100 1999
I added a cigarette lighter to my bike to charge my cell phone, etc. It's fused, but connected directly to the battery. I just plug my trickle charge into it.
This is what I have too.
Optimate or similar come with all the connections you need.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I suggest that however/where ever you mount/route the trickle charge lead (fused) that you have easy access to the fuse in the event it fails so that you don't have to remove any plastic to replace it.

Top Bottom