Today's ride introduced me to three people along the way

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Went for a ride along the Pacific Coast Highway today. Was riding alone and enjoying the ocean views. I suddenly came up on two motorcyclists on the side of the highway, one was a Ducati Scrambler, and the other was a Harley Davidson Sportster.
I slowed down and gave them the OK sign, but got no response, I tried the thumb up / thumb down sign, and the older rider just looked at me like he had no idea of what I was doing. So, I pulled over. Turns out they are from Germany, and speak very little English. The older man picked up a large branch, looked straight at me, then said something in German, and proceeded to break the branch over his knee! By this time, I'm wondering if he is about to hit me with the stick :scared2:
Since the the younger kid was just standing there, I waited to see what would happen next. He was rambling on in German, kicking stones, yelling at the Sportster, and picked up another stick, then looked at me and did the same damn thing again. At that moment I thought "lightbulb" :nuts1: and figured out he was trying to tell me that his bike was BROKEN down.... no kidding :rofl1:
I checked his tank, and it was empty. No biggie, the ST-Valdez is always ready! I removed my siphon hose and emptied a couple water bottles, and then removed some fuel from my ST and filled his tank half way up.
I thumbed the starter, Nada.....dead battery, probably from trying to start his bike when it ran out of gas. No Problem-o, I removed my roadside repair tool bag and pulled out my jumper cables and got his bike started. I've never seen someone quite so happy.
I followed them down the coast to the next gas station and made sure his bike started again, then wished them well and parted ways after a group hug.
I felt pretty darn good about helping them, but know I can go back to enjoying my ocean view ride again....
Well that was short lived :well1: No sooner did I start enjoying the views, what do I see, but another motorcycle (Moto Guzzi Stone) on the shoulder with a Flat tire. I could not just pass him up :please1: and pulled over.
Out came the tool bag, the stop and go plug kit, the slime compressor, and a couple more bottles of water. Was a simple nail in the center of the tire. I pulled the nail, plugged the hole, aired him up, and watched him ride off towards Santa Cruz.
I decided I've played roadside repair guy enough for one day, so I cut across the mountain and took Hwy 9 back home.
In all, it was a very nice ride.
:wht13:

Last edited:
STOC #
I kept waiting for a punch line.

I've always said... the only thing better than a tool kit never used... is a tool kit used to help someone who didn't have one.
I'd like to meet you some day.

Jim

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I keep a non metric tool kit in my bike just for my Harley friends :) Reminds me I do need to get a set of motorcycle sized jumper cables. Where did you get yours?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I keep a non metric tool kit in my bike just for my Harley friends :) Reminds me I do need to get a set of motorcycle sized jumper cables. Where did you get yours?
I will let Larry answer as to where he got his but this is what I did:

- got a 10ga SAE hookup like this
https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/J375APF09/10+Gauge+2+pin+SAE+Connector+Quick+Disconnect+Harness+Bullet+Lead+Cable+1+Ft.html

- cut it so that it was long enough to make a pigtail to connect to the battery and yet be able to be outside the tupperware where it can also be used for hooking up a battery tender.
- took the other SAE end and attached it to about 3 ft of 10 ga double wire and attached heavy aligator clips to the other end.
- joining with the SAE connection will allow either my bike to be boosted or me to boost another bike.
- coiled up and keep it in my tool bag.
- cost less than $10

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good Job Larry!

Thanks for being where they needed you! :clap2:

st1300doug

Reminds me....I need to buy a tire plug kit, a air compressor....AND......keep my mini-jumper with me. Good job. Bet those Foreign dudes talk NICE about you for a long time.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Really proud moments - so glad to see you back on the STeed and getting out there more often.....

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Das ist gut. Awesome Larry. Can you or is there a link on our formun that has a list of what you usually carry? You could probably market them here in all your spare time.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Once again fantastic job Larry! Sainthood or Knighthood, I am not sure but I would hope beerhood from all the people you help. :capwin:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Good Samaritans never get a day off, do you Larry
Perhaps this is just a hobby, trolling the Highways looking for things to fix and people to help.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
One day he will go out to the mailbox, and some German guy has just left him a Castle!

The tool kit should be a separate thread. I'm sure there is all sorts of options! I'll start it... :hat1:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I forgot to mention that of you put an sae connector on the little compressor you can plug that into the 10 GA pigtail as well.

Bike
VStrom 650
Guten Tag mein Freund. That's my school boy German done with.
I was convinced you were going to get beaten to a pulp with sticks by wild Germans. You should write thrillers.
Give yourself a pat on the proverbial Larry.
It's a good feeling when you help someone, a couple of weeks back I found some Geeza who had thrown his Triumph down the road. A little ingenuity saw him on his way. He didn't wave a stick at me though!
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've been carrying a set of BikeMaster jumper cables on my ST for several years, only had to use them once and they paid for themselves. Obviously, only the big cable set is suitable for jump-starting a bike, the two smaller fused cables could be used for things such as air compressors, I assume. I got them at Cycle Gear, but looking at their website it appears that the Yuasa Jumper Cables are the closest they have to the BikeMaster cables now.

Attachments

Top Bottom