It Happened

Bike
92 ST1100
I knew it would. I think I've dropped nearly every bike I've owned. Usually in the garage.

Even though I'm young, I'm not particularly strong due to some arthritic joints.

This morning when I got to work, I was backing my ST into it's parking spot next to the building. I always have difficulty backing it here due to an uneven, bumpy asphalt surface. I'm not entirely sure how my left foot lost firm footing, but the bike slowly fell to the left.
I was able to stand up and avoid falling myself.

I made one attempt to pick up the bike and knew it wasn't going to happen so I just waited outside for a minute for a coworker to arrive. Next guy into the parking lot came by and helped me right the beast.
The bike landed on the tip over wing. No damage done.

My right wrist hurts. I guess from holding onto the bars or maybe attempting to stop the fall by pushing hard.

Embarrassing, but at least the first drop is done.

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
I think it's happened to most of us on the forum. Yes even me. Happened in my garage about a week after buying it. Was able to get it up with my son's help.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear you couldn't keep it up, but like stated, many have dropped theirs.

That's why there is a "Drop count" counter, to help those keep track of how many times they have dropped them! :eek:4:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Lucky.......
See my tale of misfortune.....from a couple weeks ago..

ToddC

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
It happens. Welcome to the club. I would rather not describe some of the silly ways I have tipped over some bikes. :eek::

Bike
2010 ST1300
First, get a pair of Bygdawg's rear mounted tip over guards (or MCL - motorcyclelarry)for your bike. They won't do a better job than the front guards, but if you tip over and the front guards end up in a pothole, the rear ones will save you from some damage.

I dropped my bike in front of our garage and found, like you, that picking it up is v. difficult. I pulled our car parallel to the bike, got my come-along and hooked one end to the above mentioned tip over bars and the other end to the hitch on the back of the car. With my wife holding the front brake lever (brakes on so the bike could not roll) I slowly ratcheted the bike just shy of upright. I lowered the side stand and pushed the bike the last few inches up and over onto the stand.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
First, get a pair of Bygdawg's rear mounted tip over guards (or MCL - motorcyclelarry)for your bike. They won't do a better job than the front guards, but if you tip over and the front guards end up in a pothole, the rear ones will save you from some damage.
I think he's got an 1100, not 1300.

I did mine in the elementary school parking lot with my daughter. Not that it is preferred by most... I just wanted lots of witnesses.

I saw a 100 lb girl pick up a full dress Harley, and this works. Turn the front hard to whichever side your down (right if your on your right, left for left). Turn your back to your bike and grab the rear grab rail and front handlebar. Squat and lift with your legs. You would be surprised how easy she stands up.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I gotcha beat Dale. I was coaching a BRC2 class where I use my own bike for the demos. It was raining really hard and after riding the first demo I parked in a big puddle in the staging area. When I put my left foot down when I stopped my foot slipped and I slowly let the bike down. I then called the students over and told them " now I'd like to demo the proper way to pick up your bike". I don't think they bought it but they were impressed by how easily I could pick up my 750 lb bike:eek:

Bike
2001 ST1100
Didn't take me long to join the Club .... had my 1100 less than a month .... installed handlebar risers .... shortly thereafter I was attempting a tight u turn to the left and I discovered (too late) that the brake lever now contacts the windshield support at full lock ... so at low speed, full lock left turn .... the front wheel locked .... predictable (now) result ....

Gord ;-0

Bike
03 st 1300
I've dropped mine twice in a couple of weeks I think. Just about the worst thing to have our beautiful bikes tip over.
the big hondas will hurt you if you try to stop them once they make up their mind to go down. They are so heavy!
Now you know what to expect is about the only good thing.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I gotcha beat Dale. I was coaching a BRC2 class where I use my own bike for the demos. It was raining really hard and after riding the first demo I parked in a big puddle in the staging area. When I put my left foot down when I stopped my foot slipped and I slowly let the bike down. I then called the students over and told them " now I'd like to demo the proper way to pick up your bike". I don't think they bought it but they were impressed by how easily I could pick up my 750 lb bike:eek:
Hindsight is always 20/20... but you should have told them that it was a test and someone had to pick it up!

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Tip overs do happen. My first and second were about a month apart after having the bike over 14 years. Lost footing on pea gravel at a gas station and last time rear wheel spun in wet grass, bike stepped to side about 2 - 3 feet and down it went again. Slightly scuffed wings both sides, no other damage, except to pride.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
We've all been there, well almost all of us. This lady can show you how to get the bike up.

Ever notice how all of those "How to Pick Your Bike Up" videos always use a BMW R series and side cases or a Harley with crash bars??? It's because those bikes never fall over flat. Of course it's easy to pick up if it isn't down. Try that on one that is laying FLAT and with the wheels off the ground. Those are not so easy....

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Has anyone intentionally put their ST down to practice picking it up?
Of course! I meant to put it down for that very reason as I was backing out of that driveway on our first ride. I just forgot to tell my wife that so she fell off instead of jumping out of the way....:rofl1:

I never had that much trouble getting it to fall over that I had to actually do it intentionally. I have picked up both my 1100 and 1300 ST's (and the Shadow, and the Nighthawk,etc.) and I am 5'7" and 135 pounds. If I can do it ( and get them onto the centre-stand as well ) then anyone can do it.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ever notice how all of those "How to Pick Your Bike Up" videos always use a BMW R series and side cases or a Harley with crash bars??? It's because those bikes never fall over flat. Of course it's easy to pick up if it isn't down. Try that on one that is laying FLAT and with the wheels off the ground. Those are not so easy....
Yup
My Tiger goes down basically flat and it's a beast to pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I saw a 100 lb girl pick up a full dress Harley, and this works. Turn the front hard to whichever side your down (right if your on your right, left for left). Turn your back to your bike and grab the rear grab rail and front handlebar. Squat and lift with your legs. You would be surprised how easy she stands up.
Yup, picked mine up loaded with camp gear like this, I'm probably not any stronger than that girl.

Top Bottom