GL1800 bars

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Found a pair of GL1800 bars. Going to see if I can manage the 'compress and fit' approach. If that doesn't work I'll go with the nifty adapters from Red Dirt Cowboy.
Really hoping that adding the bars does not send a message to the gods re: ok he's got bars now, time for a drop!

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I didn't even know the GL 1800 bars would fit the ST 1300... how did I miss this?

Now that I think about it... WHY did/does Honda use what seems to be bike specific bars?

Okay, I guess I must have been thinking of something else... yes, I knew the crash bars could be made to fit... It's been a long few days.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I decided to just get the Red Dirt Cowboy adapters. They work great. You have to "clean" them up a bit before you use them, but sure made putting them on easy!

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I've done them and helped do them. They're great, using the compression method. Look stock when finished and are the perfect length to cover the hard bags. You will have to grind off a tab and will need a vice and very large hose clamp!

Took about an hour.

You'll be happy. They're essential!

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Found a pair of GL1800 bars. Going to see if I can manage the 'compress and fit' approach. If that doesn't work I'll go with the nifty adapters from Red Dirt Cowboy.
Realy hoping that adding the bars does not send a message to the gods re: ok he's got bars now, time for a drop!
I bought a set of BYDAWG bars and tipped the bike over a week later. No damage other than a scratched bar and what little pride I have left.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Looks great! I've got a set in my bag that need to get installed. My problem is I have no vices.

I bought a set of BYDAWG bars and tipped the bike over a week later. No damage other than a scratched bar and what little pride I have left.
That'll learn ya. That pride goeth before a tip and the tip-over Gods felt it necessary to remind you.

Somebody knocked over my ST buddy's '04 and really cracked a bag. ST Buddy got a replacement but is now afraid it because if he does... We get a good :rofl1: out of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hah! No vices! I like a good play on words ;)

I'm only half-joking about invoking the wrath of Dropsonius, the evil God of Dropped Motorcycles. When I put crash bars on my Tiger I proceeded to drop it three times in about 4 months, once when we were two-up :(

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I didn't think the bags hit the ground in a tip over, I'm not talking about a moving tip over, just a... you know... tip over.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I didn't think the bags hit the ground in a tip over, I'm not talking about a moving tip over, just a... you know... tip over.
Generally they don't. Or so I here. But it's the front TOB that keeps the bags off the ground. If it fell the weight bias could shift to the rear damaging a bag.

In a 'controlled' TO where you have to 'lay it down' (not while riding) usually the only damage is a scuff to the underside of the TOB cover. So I'm told.

And regardless of whether it's a TO or crash I think the GL bars add a nice aesthetic touch to the ST.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
They don't when you have rear tip over bars. But if you don't, then there are several factors that can change that. The level of the ground the bike is now sitting on, weight in the tailend (like loaded topbox, saddlebags, etc), So generally, the bags aren't supposed to touch, BUT....

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300

Looks great! I've got a set in my bag that need to get installed. My problem is I have no vices.
You do! Riding an ST and lying �� :rolleyes:!

I don't own a vice right now either... makes some things nigh on impossible. :(

P.S. they make a great tie down point for trailers and luggage!

Wow! Does that mean I can put ST handle bars om my GL1800? I'm very tall and I wish my GL18 handle bars were 1 to 2" shorter. My elbow is bent almost 90 degrees when I ride the 1800. I've have been told there is someone who mods the GL seat that will position me further back on the bike.

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300 09 XR650L
STOC #
Wow! Does that mean I can put ST handle bars om my GL1800? I'm very tall and I wish my GL18 handle bars were 1 to 2" shorter. My elbow is bent almost 90 degrees when I ride the 1800. I've have been told there is someone who mods the GL seat that will position me further back on the bike.
Not talking handlebars. The bars that protect rear bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
They don't when you have rear tip over bars. But if you don't, then there are several factors that can change that. The level of the ground the bike is now sitting on, weight in the tailend (like loaded topbox, saddlebags, etc), So generally, the bags aren't supposed to touch, BUT....
Yeah, I suppose lots of factors.

So, what's the best source for the GL 1800 rear crash bars? and what's a "good" price for them? Are the F6B rear crash bars the same?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Would assume the F6B are the same. Price, $30 and under. Check ebay or any local mc shops that do Wibg trike conversions. They've been known to give the bars away.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Would assume the F6B are the same. Price, $30 and under. Check ebay or any local mc shops that do Wibg trike conversions. They've been known to give the bars away.
I saw them on eBay for $40. I paid $40 from a local trike conversion shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I've done them and helped do them. They're great, using the compression method. Look stock when finished and are the perfect length to cover the hard bags. You will have to grind off a tab and will need a vice and very large hose clamp!

Took about an hour.

You'll be happy. They're essential!
Are there any directions on the site for reworking the GL1800 bars to fit the ST1300?

Top Bottom