Bush guards . (Lack of better wirds)

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Last weekend I went to the Wharf Rat Rally in Digby Nova Scotia. I seen something I want. I was going to try and find some bush guards for my clutch and brake lever to break the cold from hitting my knuckles but I came across this. They look like they were bought not home made.

Anyone else see them before??

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Those are cool. I noticed that the bike doesn't have the factory wind deflectors. Those help alot...

ToddC

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
He/She used the 2 screws already there. My thoughts are the screws would not hold long term as the fast speed would loosen the threads. There must be a better fastener. Put your thinking hats on and pass on your thoughts

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Tdinova; said:
My thoughts are the screws would not hold long term as the fast speed would loosen the threads.
I wouldn't think so. Maybe at some thread lock? Or use well nuts or some kind of metal fastener or nut glued to the back of the plastic for a solid grip.

They look uh 'hand crafted' to me. If they were commercially made for the ST the fitment needs work. Maybe they're commercial made for an other bike and repurposed.

They're done well enough but I think they'd be simple to make. And they should be great wind deflectors.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
+1. I'd even settle for home made!
It sort of looks like other 'home made' products that members have made for other member like the GoldWing crash bar adapter plates. A guy makes something pretty cool and that makes a few more for others and not a commercial product.

If I didn't have the Honda Mirror Air Deflectors I'd definitely make those. It seems like it would be really easy to do. I'd make a cardboard template to make the fit a little closer though. But it's a very slick farkle.

A small note though— my ST will never see brush so I'll call them air deflectors especially given their location.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is it still possible to buy the factory wind deflectors?
Not from Honda or any commercial suppliers. They've been out of production and vendor sources are dried up. You would have to get lucky with some private party selling them off.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
A small note though— my ST will never see brush so I'll call them air deflectors especially given their location.

Mine will never see brush either unless it's an ooops!! Which I have done back in early part of November 1978 on my cb360... short story, it involved a gravel road, left turn, hit shoulder and I was air born..

A friend of mine has a CB500X and he has brush guards on his for off road but he says it keeps he's hand warm also. He payed 130cdn from Honda. I would even buy his style for the wind break. I may buy some Lexan this weekend and play.... not install... but play and maybe............inst....

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
My thoughts are the screws would not hold long term as the fast speed would loosen the threads.
I wouldn't think so. Maybe at some thread lock? Or use well nuts or some kind of metal fastener or nut glued to the back of the plastic for a solid grip.

I'm pretty sure the screws goes into plastic and over time they would weaken....

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
They do look interesting, but so deviled already protects my hands like this when it's in the lowest position. Don't ask me who makes it because it cane on my bike and thereby aren't any branding marks on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
It was a go until this morning. I had my template made, longer screws bought, to be cut off later. Then I laid my template on the bike and tried full left and right on the handle bars. The clutch and brake lever hits the new lexan. . Only 10 dollars wasted on Napa screws 665-2045. They are m4.2 x 25 mm. The honda screw is 4mm x 14mm.
Oh well it was fun to try

Just before it hits

Full turn it moves the template 2inches or so

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
My template moved all the way out. . It does not look right. The only way is watch and do not do the full swing.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
If you had heli bars it might work. But that would be an expensive fix, mine came on my ST and they are awesome.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If you had heli bars it might work. But that would be an expensive fix, mine came on my ST and they are awesome.

I have Helis on my '05 and I can confirm that even with them the levers would still contact the deflectors as mocked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom