valve assy.-auto (automatic fuel petcock)

Bike
1991 St1100
I have a leaking fuel petcock on my 1991 st 1100 and after taking it apart I don't see any reason for it to leak. Anyone had this happen to them? I lost a full tank of gas in less than 50 miles!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Common problem Bob. The thin membrane inside gets a small tear, or hole, and might be hard to see. Most owners just remove the whole valve and connect the fuel filter output hose directly to the carbs. There is an aftermarket repair kit available (rather fidgety to get that membrane right), or Honda will sell you a new valve for crazy money.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 St1100
Common problem Bob. The thin membrane inside gets a small tear, or hole, and might be hard to see. Most owners just remove the whole valve and connect the fuel filter output hose directly to the carbs. There is an aftermarket repair kit available (rather fidgety to get that membrane right), or Honda will sell you a new valve for crazy money.
I know, the dealer told me that they cost $176.42 if they are still in stock! My first thought was can I just bypass it or will the fuel not flow as needed or not?

OP
OP
Bike
1991 St1100
Thanks, the dealer wants $176 for the new valve so the bypass sounds like a good idea. Does it affect the gas from flooding the carbs after shutting off the engine?

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got one sitting around here somewhere. I replaced mine and installed an electric pump in its place. I'll look for it and PM you if you want it.

If you want to remove it, I'm remembering the fuel lines might be 2 different sizes (5/16 & 3/8?). I might be remembering wrong, but I think I made an adapter.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I found a rebuild kit at Dennis Kirk. Don't remember the price, other than it was several dollars less than ebay prices. Fixed up my vacuum valve. Removing it as suggested is also a pleasing fix.

Top Bottom