Electrical problems / common earth connector

Hi All,

I am on my second ST1300 and have done about 100,000 miles on each. First one was 2003 with the wiring recall done and current bike is 2005. I have encountered exactly the same problem on both bikes when they reach a high mileage, I am aware of another person that has experienced the same with their bike. These are some of the symptoms:

Sometimes engine cuts out for no reason under an electrical load (e.g. using the blinkers)
Press the starter button and clock resets itself.
Left headlight stops working and high beam warning light illuminates (although switch is set to low beam)
Burning smell from wiring (most likely the left headlight bulb connector melting)

If you encounter this try taking the front cowl off and stripping down the yellow connector on the right hand side where all the earth wires join. Corrosion inside this connector block is the culprit. I hope this helps someone as it took months for me to find the cause of this intermittent fault.

Philip

Bike
2006 ST1300
An excellent hint! Although I put dielectric grease on all ( or most) of my connectors at one time, I'll be checking this next time I am in there. It's been SO hot here this summer I've not had the bike out much. Cooling down here now.

Hi All,

I am on my second ST1300 and have done about 100,000 miles on each. First one was 2003 with the wiring recall done and current bike is 2005. I have encountered exactly the same problem on both bikes when they reach a high mileage, I am aware of another person that has experienced the same with their bike. These are some of the symptoms:

Sometimes engine cuts out for no reason under an electrical load (e.g. using the blinkers)
Left headlight stops working and high beam warning light illuminates (although switch is set to low beam)
Burning smell from wiring (most likely the left headlight bulb connector melting)

If you encounter this try taking the front cowl off and stripping down the yellow connector on the right hand side where all the earth wires join. Corrosion inside this connector block is the culprit. I hope this helps someone as it took months for me to find the cause of this intermittent fault.

Philip
Any picture ?

Hi All,

Philip
Any pictured?

Top Bottom