St1100 ABS Sensor

Bike
Bandit 1200S
Hi all,

I have been looking at buying an st1100 for a while now, and I've found one at £1000 (I'm in the UK).

It's a 1994 model with 41,000 miles. The seller has stated that the ABS light stays on, and I have read that you can hold down the ABS button, turn the ignition and get the fault codes.

My question is, which fault codes should I avoid? As I haven't seen the bike in person yet, I don't know what fault code is showing. I don't really want to be putting loads of money in to the bike, so if there are fault codes that are a 'no go' or things I should be worried about, then I will give it a miss.

The seller seems to think it might be a rear wheel sensor, which I have heard is a 6 flash fault code. Would this be something expensive to fix?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Maybe search on line or even this forum to find a list of fault codes? Note that the codes are slightly different for the 96 and newer models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Bike
Bandit 1200S
I had found a list of the fault codes, but I'm not a mechanic and don't know the significance or more importantly cost of rectifying any of them. I basically wanted to know if any of the codes would be a 'do not buy' when I go to see it.
-------------------------------------------------------------
1 Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system
2 Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor system
3 Faulty front modulator control motor system
4 Faulty rear modulator control motor system
5 Faulty front wheel speed sensor system
6 Faulty rear wheel speed sensor system
7 Faulty power circuit
8 Faulty ABS control unit (ECU)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It could be as simple as a bad ground, other things could be costly. Unless you get the bike for next to nothing I would walk away

Bike
st1300
my 94 went through rear wheel abs sensors like nobodys business, so i ripped it out and went bare back.
you really dont need abs on it, just a safe gap ahead.
put 25k on it without a problem

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The #8 code (#9 on '96 and later I think) can be caused by low system voltage (battery or more likely alternator). Often an ABS code 8 was the first indication of a failing 28A alternator. The '96 and newer models replaced the 28A one with a 40A one that was far more reliable. Retrofitting is possible. Has the bike you're looking at been retrofitted?

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
I had found a list of the fault codes, but I'm not a mechanic and don't know the significance or more importantly cost of rectifying any of them. I basically wanted to know if any of the codes would be a 'do not buy' when I go to see it.
-------------------------------------------------------------
1 Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system
2 Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor system
3 Faulty front modulator control motor system
4 Faulty rear modulator control motor system
5 Faulty front wheel speed sensor system
6 Faulty rear wheel speed sensor system
7 Faulty power circuit
8 Faulty ABS control unit (ECU)
That list above looks like the list for a later ST1100A with ABS, a model from year 1996 on, with year code T or V or later.
The correct list for your 1994/code R model is in the Honda service manual and possibly the Haynes revised edition or the Clymer (American).

One expensive thing to look for, if not to test for, is an ABS modulator that has a stuck fluid pump inside it. (Perhaps can be fixed at a reasonable price in Canada, but cost of replacement with new is prohibitive.)
Make sure you know how to run the diagnostic before you go to visit. With ABS, being a mechanic is of secondary importance to being an electrician.

In my opinion, the brakes on this bike, when new, are hard to equal; I don't see even Honda equaling them. (Of course, brakes aren't everything. Have you had ABS before?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
Bandit 1200S
The #8 code (#9 on '96 and later I think) can be caused by low system voltage (battery or more likely alternator). Often an ABS code 8 was the first indication of a failing 28A alternator. The '96 and newer models replaced the 28A one with a 40A one that was far more reliable. Retrofitting is possible. Has the bike you're looking at been retrofitted?
Unfortunately not, a faulty alternator is one of the things I was worried about, as I know retrofitting a 40A alternator can cost quite a bit (£250 - around 330$?).

I suppose there is no harm in going to see it and getting the fault code. Depending on the fault code, it would always be a bit of a gamble.

OP
OP
Bike
Bandit 1200S
Thanks to everybody who commented, I am proud to report I now own a 1999 st1100!

I decided against going for the older model, paid a little bit more but I now have peace of mind.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I think you will be very happy, and in the long run a better decision having a factory installed 40 amper. Still go over the connectors make sure they are clean and tight, a nice winter project.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Re: Selecting a Standard ST1100 instead of an ABS equipped, earlier ST1100.

... I am proud to report I now own a 1999 st1100!

I decided against going for the older model; paid a little bit more, but I now have peace of mind.
FaustFest and all,

To each his own.

My peace of mind came when I bought an ST1100 that is very much like the one you did not take.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(My nightmare is having my front wheel lock up on me again whilst turning.
That happening tends to quickly ruin my peace of mind.)

May you practice your braking enough so that front wheel lock never happens to you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom