Flashing rear light

My 2002 st1100 has a rear running light that flashes in a pattern - there seem to be multiple bulbs that go off in succession, producing an effect like an emergency vehicle. I thought this just happened when the bike was on the stand / in neutral (because I can't see the light when I'm riding), like roadside hazard lights or something. But I put the bike in gear on the centre stand and the rear lights keep flashing.

is this a thing with this model? (Couldn't find any reference to it in the manual or on the forums)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Definitely not a "feature" for a standard version.

You say 2002.... is it the police model? If so, it may very well be an emergency setting. Look at the handlebar controls. Your ST1100P police model will have a variety of features not available on regular production ST1100's

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
It might be an aftermarket "farkle" that flashes the lights or even replaced the OEM bulb with several lamps. A copy of the service manual to see what the OEM setup looked like might be helpful. Or look at another 1100.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
there seem to be multiple bulbs that go off in succession
This sounds like a 'Knight Rider' third-party brake light.

Yegster said:
producing an effect like an emergency vehicle.
But I've never seen the 'Knight Rider' effect on an emergency vehicle here in the States.

Yegster said:
is this a thing with this model?
No unless this is a former police bike which should be very easily identifiable. A pic of the light would probably clear up any confusing immediately.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have a large Admore rear light bar,,, that is modulated and pretty flashy (forgive the pun),,, that I moved from my previous bike,, to my ST. It is not cheap,,, but very well built, and effective at keeping losers off my tail. I have flipped on the 4 ways a couple of times,,, and got the desired space from idiots who were riding on my bumper,, so to speak. I find the flashing ambers get the desired result better than blipping the brake reds. Flashing red lights just make psycho's more so. Admore has since added an accelerometer that works for engine braking,,, very nice,,, I may have to upgrade,, Cat'

https://admorelighting.com/product/admore-light-bar-smart-brake-technology-deceleration-safety/

OP
OP
I just heard from the former owner this is an aftermarket flasher - not installed by him though, and he has no further info.

it is in the stock taillight. It is a weird effect, the lights sort of dance clockwise, then anticlockwise.

Not sure why anyone would want This on running light - visibility?

Guess I will live with it for now at least, hope its legal.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Catmandu2 said:
Flashing red lights just make psycho's more so.
I don't know that flashing ambers would ameliorate the situation but I really do like the look of my 4-ways now that they're all LEDs.

The ardmore is nice kit. Progressive turn signals smart braking and an LED for license plate illumination. If I hadn't already added various rear lighting it would be at the top of the list.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not sure why anyone would want This on running light - visibility?
Conspicuity. To be more easily seen. Many of us do this. While the ST's brake lights are pretty good additional brake lighting is often better. I'm not at all familiar with your particular light so won't comment on its effectiveness. There are a lot of threads here about additional brake and/or tail lights. (FYI IMO the ST's tail lights are anemic.)

You'd be well advise to check with your local traffic code to know whether or not its legal. Many of us know that some of our lighting mods aren't legal but accept the risk. But without knowing the laws/codes you can't really assess any risk.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Not factory. A picture would help a lot.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I think I saw a guy on a H-D with a similar set-up.

BTW, I added a red LED light below the stock tail light that is energized through a turn signal flasher.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I added a red LED light below the stock tail light that is energized through a turn signal flasher.
That's an interesting variation on a theme. What's the thought process there?

I have a superbright LED in place of the rear reflector, but I didn't choose any of the flashing options as I thought it might be a bit too much and I didn't care for any of the patterns

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
BTW, I added a red LED light below the stock tail light that is energized through a turn signal flasher.
For clarification is it a (an additional) turn signal flasher added to the bike for the LED or is it the turn signal flasher that's part of the factory turn signal wiring.

What energizes this turn signal flasher? I'm unclear if this LED functions as an additional/flashing brake light or flashes with your turn signals.

It would be easy to have a red LED on the fender flash with either/both amber turn signals. Not strictly legal here in CA but since when has that stopped us. I like the idea. You could say that it might confuse someone following but I'm not sure that would be an real issue.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
That's an interesting variation on a theme. What's the thought process there?

I have a superbright LED in place of the rear reflector, but I didn't choose any of the flashing options as I thought it might be a bit too much and I didn't care for any of the patterns
I have similar, but have it strobe during braking. Very much an attention-getter. I liked it so much, now have similar on all my bikes.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Erdoc48 said:
I even have brake lights on my helmets!
Are they linked to the bike's brake lights or do they use an accelerometer? Do you have some more info on them?

There's a lot to be said for accelerometer controlled brake lights. An add-on to a supplemental brake light (or a self contained unity) might be a good addition to the warning system.

Not the same thing but I had a deceleration warning light (Cyber-Light) on my GL1000 that was great. It had a crude accelerometer that consisted of seven angled mercury switches that flashed two amber incandescents at seven discrete flash rates. Very cool.

Erdoc48 said:
You can't be too safe out there.
Generally no but when it comes to lights and lighting (which I like a LOT) I want to avoid a visual cacophony that might confuse or even impair other drivers yet still keep them aware of my presence and movement or lack of same. Sticking a couple of your helmet brake lights on the panniers might be something I'd consider.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Are they linked to the bike's brake lights or do they use an accelerometer? Do you have some more info on them?

There's a lot to be said for accelerometer controlled brake lights. An add-on to a supplemental brake light (or a self contained unity) might be a good addition to the warning system.

Not the same thing but I had a deceleration warning light (Cyber-Light) on my GL1000 that was great. It had a crude accelerometer that consisted of seven angled mercury switches that flashed two amber incandescents at seven discrete flash rates. Very cool.

Generally no but when it comes to lights and lighting (which I like a LOT) I want to avoid a visual cacophony that might confuse or even impair other drivers yet still keep them aware of my presence and movement or lack of same. Sticking a couple of your helmet brake lights on the panniers might be something I'd consider.
On my STs, I use the Kisan TailBlazer, so all you have to do is plug the new bulb/ modulator into the existing sockets on the bike, so you get 4 rapid flashes, 4 slower flashes, and then steady on with application of either brake. On the GMax helmet, they make a brake light kit that has a wireless sender that connects to the brake light wires- apply the brake and the helmet light goes on (there's a small recess in the integrated light that holds 2 AAA batteries). I use this helmet with the 94 ST. On the 2000, I used an 'Atlantis' branded brake light that is on the back of the helmet (my Neotec) and it also has a wireless sender. Let me see if I can find a link for you via Amazon or eBay.

Top Bottom