Leather pants and ST heat

I'm shopping ST's but held back my the heat issue. I know leather makes a difference on my ZX14, but I'm not familiar with how the ST radiates heat. Would leather help?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Never tried leather but high boots and riding pants do make a difference on the shins.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, leather helps, a lot! Back in 2007 I rode out to George's 666STOC and the temps I went thru were from 109F to 115F. I had a mesh jacket on with leather chaps. My legs were just fine, even in those temperatures. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have given my chaps to my son, and still had them. They provided better heat cover than my current mesh pants do!

Bike
04 ST1300
I'm shopping ST's but held back my the heat issue. I know leather makes a difference on my ZX14, but I'm not familiar with how the ST radiates heat. Would leather help?
To be honest, the heat issue is a bit over blown. I have ridden in hot temps 90 and above many times and do not feel the heat, except from the sun .

Bike
2007 ST 1300
The ST 1300 does get warm - your lower extremities are in close to the engine block - LARGE thermal mass folks -and are big part of your bodies radiator system so when they are warm your torso stays warm . Everyone's tolerance levels are different so what my be no problem to one individual may be unbearable to another and everything in between. Somewhere on this site is a very interesting thread on this subject and I regret that I can't find it . IIRC three riders on three machines - at least one was an ST 1300. Each took equal turns on all mounts and one rider repeatedly had no heat issues while the others did . Turns out the two that felt the heat rode with knees in tight - the one who had no heat issues rode with a more open stance. I am a definite tank gripper so I experimented with this and riding with legs apart from the bike made a big difference. I use my knees in coordination with feet , butt and bars in steering so I am resistant to change. Trying to make it a practice to open up a bit where practical.

Bike
04 ST1300
I did read that article. You are absolutely correct. Riding with the knees hugging the tank reduces airflow as well and consequently the rider would feel warm or hot In my mind one only needs to hug the tank during turns, etc., not all the time. This is very stable bike at highway speeds.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
The only time I've had serious heat issues was when I was not wearing protective gear. Wearing the gear makes a huge difference, at least for me. Hot weather is hot, no matter what bike I've ridden. Personally, I've found the ST to be no hotter than Harleys, except when stopped; the Harley is hotter.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Consider a post '95 model ST1100 and you will not have ANY heat issues. There are lots of good, even low mileage 1100's out there and their reliability is second to none. On the 1300, the fuel tank is actually a fuel tank and can also get very hot on the crotch. The ST1100 fuel tank is not a fuel tank, but is called the "shelter", which is plastic and it covers the air filter and carb assembly, so it does not get hot at all. The fuel tank on the 1100 is mostly below the seat.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I suspect having Hondas accessory wind diverters would make a difference too. The deflectors would push cooling air away from your legs.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't have leather pants or chaps but I'm sure they would help.
I have Motoport jacket and pants, both mesh and Kevlar stretch.

I have a 2007 ST1300 that has heat issues no matter what I'm wearing or in what kind of traffic I'm riding. I always wear protective over pants and the only time I'm appreciative of the heat is in the winter when it's chilly.
I also have a 2005 ST1300 that can get toasty, but it is not quite as severe. Personally I think different bikes, riders and situations will give different results, as mentioned above.
There are several fixes to help with the heat that I found here on the site and the one I chose were the baker wings, I put on the 2007.
They immediately fixed the problem for me.
I also have an 2002 ST1100 and was warm in hot weather but no where near anything like the ST1300.
I don't find it a deal breaker for the bike though and still love both the STs

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
This past winter I moved from my 03 I've ridden for 12 years and 120,000 miles to a lower mileage 05. For 12 years I've never understood why anyone would have an issue with the heat output of the ST. Well that all ended once I rode the 05 to dinner with low shoes ( I know where where's your boots ). Over the next couple months I would have sold the 05 because of the heat if I hadn't moved all the farkles from my 03. I'm happy to say that I've resolved the heat issue, some would say put a bandaid on it. I first used some foam and plugged open space under the tank and frame under the front of the seat. Second I place foil bubble reflective insulation over the air box. Fourth I placed self adhesive reflective firewall insulation inside lower faring where your shins and shoes are. I noticed the 05 had factory foam insulation on the inside of the lower faring that wasn't on my 03, just an observation. The final and most significant thing was wrapping the header pipes with insulation. I say most significant because after wrapping the bike was hot and I accidently touched the pipes and fully expected to get burnt, much to my surprise it didn't burn me since the tape kept the heat away. With all that I can say there is no heat issue. I wish I could say that I was able to tune the 05 to run as cool as the 03 but I just haven't got there yet.

OP
OP
Auron
I'm curious about the previous posts pointing out how you sit on the bike effects heat. Every bike I've ever ridden, I get as close to the tank and front of the bike as possible, it's just something I prefer and not willing to change. For that reason I'm very concerned I would find the ST a really hot bike. I'd test ride on but I don't think 15 mins is going to tell me and the 90+ degree weather is probably gone for the year.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm curious about the previous posts pointing out how you sit on the bike effects heat. Every bike I've ever ridden, I get as close to the tank and front of the bike as possible, it's just something I prefer and not willing to change. For that reason I'm very concerned I would find the ST a really hot bike. I'd test ride on but I don't think 15 mins is going to tell me and the 90+ degree weather is probably gone for the year.
IMO, no amount of forum discussion is going to tell you enough, one way or the other, because it seems to be dependent on both the rider and the specific ST1300. The ST1300 heat seems to be a problem for some riders, but not for most. The only thing you can do is ride one when it's hot outside, and even then it can depend on the bike.

OP
OP
Auron
If I take a ride on one at a dealer, and wear mesh, will I be able to tell anything about the heat? I'm baffled that one can be hotter than the other.

TBS is the only variable I can think of from the factory.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
To be honest, the heat issue is a bit over blown. I have ridden in hot temps 90 and above many times and do not feel the heat, except from the sun .
I have to agree. just did a 4 day 1100 mile ride with the wife in 85-90 degree heat and while I will admit my shins felt warm I never found it to be hot or uncomfortable. I was wearing textile pants over boots.

Top Bottom