Fuel door hinge bent

Well, first off, seems like there should be a topic heading for 'bodywork'. Anyway, I managed to half-sit on my open fuel door when throwing a leg over my ST1100. Now the damn thing binds along the bottom. This despite removing the big cover, and the hinge itself and trying all manner of bending and straightening that looked like it might work. For the life of me, the dang hinge looks "straight" - or at least not deformed in any way I can see, but I can't get that door to close correctly since then, which is about a week. Anyone ever have this problem - and a solution? Hate to have to buy a new hinge, but if that's what it takes...

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't have an 1100 but once had a similar problem w/ the fuel door on a car. Might the door itself be slightly tweaked and the hinge is now ok? Phil has more experience w this than I do (anyone does, really) so if he says the hinge is v. sensitive to slight bending, then that is probably the case.

OP
OP
Someone once said I have the patience of Job, but I don't think he quite made it to Sainthood. LOL. I ended up drilling the holes in the door end of the hinge larger and the extra adjustment room finally allowed the door to close more or less correctly. (For SMSW, the doors are heavyish plastic so it was not distorted.) Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom