Almost a drop

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Coming into our hotel parking lot at too slow a speed, turning right into the parkade.
Started to tip too far to the right. Stuck my right foot out and levered it up with almighty strength. Two up less.
Phew dodged a drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes... there's that moment of panic.... will I... will I not.... ???

Phew!!!!!!!!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Good catch! Just be careful next time. This is a great way to wrench your back. Don't ask how I know.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Good catch! Just be careful next time. This is a great way to wrench your back. Don't ask how I know.
This is good advice. Sure, catch it if you can, but be prepared to bail when the bike reaches that point of inevitable tip over. Once it reaches that point, I don't bother trying to resist a 750 lb bike from tipping over; I simply want to exit safely without getting pinned. My back and limbs are more valuable to me than any motorcycle.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Even if you did drop it, it is eady to pickup. Usually no damage at all, the tip over wings is well designed. A different story if you were at a stop sign on a step hill. I dropped it in July and had to replace the left mirror ( $120 cdn). Luckily I was able to polish out the scratch on the turn signal housing. I left the group ride and went home, too shaken up. I was angry at myself for not being more careful.
Kenny

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
This is good advice. Sure, catch it if you can, but be prepared to bail when the bike reaches that point of inevitable tip over. Once it reaches that point, I don't bother trying to resist a 750 lb bike from tipping over; I simply want to exit safely without getting pinned. My back and limbs are more valuable to me than any motorcycle.
Yes my sweetheart asked the same if me. The bike can be picked up and fixed if needed. No need to potentially hurt myself.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Back a few years ago on the first ride of a new ST with less than 5 mikes on it I almost dropped it. What a great ride I had just completed. I came to the last stop sign before turning on my street. The night before coming home with the bike on a trailer it had rained and at this stop sign there is always sand left on the street after a big rain. I looked down as I approached the stop sign to see if the sand was there, but I could not see any sand. As I put my feet down I could feel the sand that was not there. My right foot move out about 18 inches or so. I fought the bike and managed to up right it. If my foot had slide any farther or had continued to slide, the bike would have gone down and probably all the way into the ditch. I killed the bike, dropped the side stand and got off to let my heart slow down. That was a wake up call. Right off the bat I gain tremendous respect of the weight of the ST.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I completely understand what you are saying.
The first time I leaned it over at a standstill I was instantly reminded that this is no lightweight bike.
Last night absolutely cemented that in my head.
I can't wait for my rear tip over bars to arrive!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Luckily...almost..... only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and H bombs......:bow1:

Glad u saved her....

ToddC

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
it is eady to pickup.
That's a matter of opinion. I've righted mine from a tip to PORT side. It was not easy even though I used the approved 'A 12-year Old Girl Lifts A GoldWing Up' method.

I felt my pain for three day— back knees and quads. So if it's easy for you— great. It's given me greater incentive not to be caught in that predicament again.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I'm considering laying it down on some grass to try lifting it up.
That is a very good idea; try it before you need it. I have done the same.

For good measure, try it on an incline with the transmission in neutral and the bike resting on the left side. You may find that a stiff rubber band, like what you may find on a bunch of asparagus, is perfect to hold the front brake applied.

If the bike is resting on the right side, remember to extend the kickstand before attempting to right the bike. It makes for an easier landing.

Tip overs occur. Your preparedness determines your ability to respond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks STripper,
I'm hoping I will be able to lift it. My Tiger was brutal because when 540 lbs is laying flat on the ground it's really hard to get any leverage.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm considering laying it down on some grass to try lifting it up.

After my recovery in front of our garage, I thought to do the same thing but never got around to it. My plan was to use my come-along to lower it slowly, click by click onto small fabric pads on my driveway (pads under tip over guards, front and rear). One thing you might consider. Tony Worall (spelling?) makes an attachment for the brake lever that is in essence, a parking brake. I've found it tremendously useful for things like picking the bike up or waiting for a stoplight to change.....

Bike
2007 ST1300
I wouldn't lay her down in any grass...
The "12 year old girl lifts a gold wing" method only works if your feet can get enough traction.

Some friends and I laid our motorcycles over in a parking lot and tried the back into it lift method. We put down some packing quilts and all pitched in to ease each motorcycle down one at a time. Plus - were ready to assist the person lifting if they had an issue.
The three that were the toughest were my ST1300, an FJR and a Concours 14 - but I guess that stands to reason as they are all heavy motorcycles.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I wouldn't lay her down in any grass...
The "12 year old girl lifts a gold wing" method only works if your feet can get enough traction.

Some friends and I laid our motorcycles over in a parking lot and tried the back into it lift method. We put down some packing quilts and all pitched in to ease each motorcycle down one at a time. Plus - were ready to assist the person lifting if they had an issue.
The three that were the toughest were my ST1300, an FJR and a Concours 14 - but I guess that stands to reason as they are all heavy motorcycles.
Duly noted!

Were they the toughest in that order?

Last edited:
Top Bottom