Almost a drop

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Another -1 for the grass idea. The tip over wing limits the distance between the handlebars and the bike. Trying this on grass might allow the tip over bar or even the handlebar to be pressed into the ground allowing it to lie flatter than on pavement.

Between slipping on the grass and having the bike's handlebars lower than practical this could be even tougher than the real thing.

The ST may be lighter than a 'Wing but the center of gravity is higher and I believe the tip-over lean is greater. I had to pick mine up from a slight decline which made it rougher still. It was in gear but I also use the Pendell Parking Brake so there was zero lash to worry about.

If your quads are in good shape this may be easy but I hope never to have to do it again. And my back was a sore for a couple of days as well.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Another -1 for the grass idea. The tip over wing limits the distance between the handlebars and the bike. Trying this on grass might allow the tip over bar or even the handlebar to be pressed into the ground allowing it to lie flatter than on pavement.

Between slipping on the grass and having the bike's handlebars lower than practical this could be even tougher than the real thing.

The ST may be lighter than a 'Wing but the center of gravity is higher and I believe the tip-over lean is greater. I had to pick mine up from a slight decline which made it rougher still. It was in gear but I also use the Pendell Parking Brake so there was zero lash to worry about.

If your quads are in good shape this may be easy but I hope never to have to do it again. And my back was a sore for a couple of days as well.
That's a good point ST.
I'll do it on a hard, level surface. Just to make sure I have every advantage.

I'm in good shape but I expect it to be a very hard lift no matter what.

I just ordered the Pendle Parking Brake this morning so that will help sort the problem of the front wheel rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300
A few week ago riding in southeastern MO (beautiful country roads) on my way to IN, stop to check the map because of a detour. Sitting on the bike checking directions decided I need water (temps were 98 to 100). Leaning the bike to the left as always to the side stand, surprised the bike continued to leaning farther than it was suppose to. A quick look down thinking there might be a small depression realized I'd forgotten to lower the side stand. Yes I fought it and lost. But was it a drop? I like to think it was a controlled set down. After recovering from this 'surprise' I was a little panicked. I only set one other bike over before this and it was much lighter than the ST. I did as the videos instruct regarding Goldwing drops, lifting with your legs and got the bike upright. The gravel parking area was my greatest hindrance.
No damage to the ST. An interesting experience I hope not to do again, but if I happens I know I can recover and keep riding.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I've had 2 tipovers and I'll share how they happened so maybe someone can avoid a similar pitfall...

First one: I stopped on a sloping road where the slope dropped off to my left. I was able to get a toe on the ground and balance briefly until I told my passenger to put her left foot down while forgetting that she can't reach the ground without leaning over. She tried to do as I asked and the extra weight on the left side took us down.

Lesson: don't park where you won't have solid footing.

Second one: Making a u-turn on an incline. The bike ran out of momentum and I couldn't get on the gas fast enough to prevent a tipover to the inside.

Lesson: practice friction braking so speed control is not only governed by throttle.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've had 2 tipovers and I'll share how they happened so maybe someone can avoid a similar pitfall...

First one: I stopped on a sloping road where the slope dropped off to my left. I was able to get a toe on the ground and balance briefly until I told my passenger to put her left foot down while forgetting that she can't reach the ground without leaning over. She tried to do as I asked and the extra weight on the left side took us down.

Lesson: don't park where you won't have solid footing.

Second one: Making a u-turn on an incline. The bike ran out of momentum and I couldn't get on the gas fast enough to prevent a tipover to the inside.

Lesson: practice friction braking so speed control is not only governed by throttle.
Your second example is what very nearly did me in on Friday night.
Coming around a blind righthand corner into a parkade. Road sloped downhill and to the right (my nemesis!).
I was on the rear brake a bit too much and scrubbed off to much speed.

I'm still trying to get used to how the ST seems to 'tip' into a slow speed corner and needs a pull on the opposite bar to avoid spiralling in.

This is the complete opposite from my Tiger which I had to really turn into a corner.

Absolutely agree on the practicing friction braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
The ST1300 has a link brake system. When you press on the rear brake, it automatically engages a small bit of the front brake. You slow down fairly quickly. I used to think that this link brake sysem is the cause of the tip in feeling in slow maneuvers. But now I am not sure anymore, I just live with it and not concern with the why.
Kenny

Bike
2009 ST 1300
Have dropped mine twice with essentially no damage. Gas station in Prineville OR and second time while slowing to park near Foresthill, CA. Last Friday I was riding along Forest Road 1 (north of Mad River, Ca) and caught a large patch of gravel on a blind curve at about 25 mph and my bike went east while I slid west. Managed to trash both of those plastic crash bar protectors and bend the brake pedal, but happy to report the inflatable vest I bought a couple of years ago did its job. Walked away with left arm road rash and no other damage to me. Road the bike home from Arcata CA and will have it checked out next week. Those vests are still pricey (about the same as a helmet in cost) but after a friend slid off his bike a couple of years ago I figured I would make the investment and believe it probably prevented any broken bones or major injuries.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Truth to be told, I dropped my ST1300 at least once a season. Some years more, this year was bad, I have had 3 drops already, none while moving, all while stopped- like at stop signs and gas stations. 9 seasons later, I got good at picking it up, but my pride never got usued to it. Each time I dropped it, I wanted to sell the ST and get something lighter, but guess what, there is nothing out there comes close to the ST, so I keep liking the ST.
2 things I adopted to help riding in the city. First- remove the Givi top box. Secondly- ride with only half a tank of gas, not a full tank. A full tank of gas is about 48lbs. If you only keep 200 miles of range in the tank, you will have about 16 to 20lbs less of weight on the top of the bike. That really helps in the handling. When I go long distance, I'll fill the tank full.
This is a true confession.
Kenny

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Well held,sir.

And your idea to practice picking up is an excellent one, but don't do it alone. Have at least one other capable helper, in case things don't go your way.
I lay a folded movers blanket down, and lower the bike onto that. Also, don't forget to practice from both sides. Develop a method that works for you, and you are comfortable with. It takes the stress down several notches, when it happens on the road.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
My tips on avoiding situations like this are:

Don't stop unless dead straight and balanced, Front wheel straight. Braking with the wheel turned can throw you over to the side.
If riding with a passenger consider stopping and letting them off before tight low speed maneuvers.
At low speeds ALWAYS keep it in gear. I have put it in neutral at low speed causing a drop when I needed a little power.
Work with the Bike and it's weight, working against them can get you injured or at the very least embarrassed.

GRAVITY WORKS EVERY TIME Count on it.

Top Bottom