Bike
    98 ABSII 2000 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Almost a drop

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    Thanks for your post ST460,
    Do you have any tips to share on picking up the ST?
    Yes, Get some help.
    Or start working out NOW
    but check out the technique with your back to the bike that works well.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Slydynbye View Post
    My tips on avoiding situations like this are:

1) Don't stop unless dead straight and balanced, Front wheel straight. Braking with the wheel turned can throw you over to the side.
    2) If riding with a passenger consider stopping and letting them off before tight low speed maneuvers.
    3) At low speeds ALWAYS keep it in gear. I have put it in neutral at low speed causing a drop when I needed a little power.
    4) Work with the Bike and it's weight, working against them can get you injured or at the very least embarrassed.

5) GRAVITY WORKS EVERY TIME Count on it.
    Completely with all of these. Thanks!
    David
    Finally an ST owner!
    2005 w/ factory topbox

Bike
    2014 CTX1300D
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Slydynbye View Post
    At low speeds ALWAYS keep it in gear. I have put it in neutral at low speed causing a drop when I needed a little power.
    Yes sir!

My slow-speed skills are not the worst but they are also not the best. Keeping the bike in gear is a key item.

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    My Gallery

DavidR8, I am the last person to give advice on picking up the ST. Years ago, I bought 2 DVD from Jerry Motorman Palladino. I learned slow and city riding and picking up bike from those DVDs. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/. They now have an updated version.
    For one riding season, once a week, I practiced standing the ST on its centre stand and picking it up from an intended drop. This was done on my drive. Early each season, I would go out to an empty parking lot to practice slow maneuvers a few times. Still, that doesn't stop me from accidental drops. I am really hoping riding in the city with only half of a tank of gas will help me to last one season without dropping the ST. The cause of the drop is simply - careless. I just don't pay enough attention to my surroundings.
    There is a riding skill improvement course in town, called Road Craft. I think I will celebrate my 10 year ST ownership by taking it.
    Kenny

6. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    ST-1300
    My Gallery

The MSF BRC-2 is a good course to take to practice your slow speed maneuvers. If you want something a little more advanced I took this class last July in Dallas TX. http://www.proridermc.com/home.php. It was a really good course and had a lot of slow speed work as well as emergency stopping at higher speeds than the BRC-2 . Also some emergency swerving exercises and lots of other good stuff.

8. The Following User Likes This Post:

+ New Posts
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345