How do I check my oil level?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
If you look on the right hand side of the bike below the plastic covering the tip over guard, there is a slotted vent in the plastic. I there is a little round window. With the bike level, so on the center stand, the oil should be between the upper and lower marks. One note is you may need to use a flashlight to see it and do not worry if it looks black like you need an oil change. The oil in that window looks black unless it was just changed. I can post a photo if you cant see it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is a window on the lower right side. Peer through the opening under the black plastic tipover wing. A flashlight helps. Check it on the center stand a few minutes after cutting the engine off.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
The "approved" method if I remember is more like to run engine till a couple of bars on the temp gauge, shut off and a few mins later check level in widow , should be between lines ( on level ground on center stand )

REAL WORLD... Put in a gallon of oil plus 6oz if using the larger non stock filter....run it... check in the next day in AM, and every now and then in am till 5k miles and then change ( repeat )

( from bottom line to top is about 8oz or so )

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Get a handful of long handled 'q tips' from a firearm shop's cleaning display. Use them to keep the sight glass clean.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Something odd about this thread. The OP has had an ST1300 for nearly 4 years, and he doesn't know how to check the oil?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Something odd about this thread. The OP has had an ST1300 for nearly 4 years, and he doesn't know how to check the oil?
Honda engines don't burn oil, so there is no need to check (I'm being facetious - no need to jump on me here).

Everyone really should have (and read) the owner's manual.
When all else fails, read the instructions. I would add to your post - and the Honda Service Manual.

OP
OP
Gueroestrella
Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
I bought the bike in November of 2015. I ride it about once a month. I've put about 2000 miles on it. I figure it would be a good time to check the oil. The previous owner and I did check the oil the day I bought it but I forgot how it was done. That's very kind of you to say that!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought the bike in November of 2015.
The book says to change the engine oil at 8k miles or every year, whichever comes first. Acids from the products of combustion are neutralized by fresh oil, not so much by older oil, and short rides in which the engine does not thoroughly heat up and drive off moisture are hard on the oil. That said, I've never heard of etching from said acids or any documented damage from them - but then, I'm a layperson when it comes to this branch of engineering.

You should also be changing the brake fluid (bleed the whole system per the manual) every two years as well as the engine coolant. If you don't do the former, you will eventually have caliper and/or SMC and/or master cylinder problems. Ignoring the latter will net you corrosion inside the engine after a few years. Its surprising how time flies if you don't do routine maintenance, and the problems will be more expensive to fix than just changing fluids.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I bought the bike in November of 2015. I ride it about once a month. I've put about 2000 miles on it. I figure it would be a good time to check the oil. The previous owner and I did check the oil the day I bought it but I forgot how it was done. That's very kind of you to say that!
Sorry, I truly meant no disrespect, only that your post was very unusual, as if the meaning was misconstrued. From your first post here in Nov 2015, you said "have owned an ST 1300 for a couple of years now", thus my thinking that you've had it 4 years as of now, late 2017. I've never heard of anyone not checking their oil in 4 years, and had a hard time believing that's what you were really asking.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda engines don't burn oil, so there is no need to check (I'm being facetious - no need to jump on me here).

They might not "burn" it, but several of my bikes were great at sucking it into the air filter box. I do check it every other week or so (which equals about 1,300 miles for me), since I'm riding it everyday of the week as a commuter.

Top Bottom