Honda Big Announcement end of October 2017.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Which it isn't, at least not any more than any other heavyweight bike released in the last five years (*COUGH* CTX *COUGH*) was.

--Mark
No need to choke on it. I readily will state that the CTX is definitely NOT a ST replacement. Each bike stands on it's own and is different in many ways from each other bike, ST-CTX-GW. While I do see some styling queues from the CTX in the new Wing I don't consider the new Wing a replacement for anything other than the old Wing. And it's the right direction I think for Honda to take with the Gold Wing badge.

Bike
2007 ST1300
For some reason I thought the higher the compression ratio the more need for higher octane fuel, The more compression creates pre-detonation on lower octane fuels example "pinging" and when I looked at engines that use regular fuel vs premium, in most cases the compression ratio was noticeably less.
How ever I also read that it takes regular fuel so that blows my thinking out of the water.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The 2018 Wing still linked brakes (and ABS standard). Like a cruise control previous Wings had them and I have no reason to think that Honda would drop either of those features.

Bike
2016 R1200GSA
STOC #
Just an FYI - gl1800riders has the owners/navi manuals on downloadable links. I saw Mellow (is there another Mellow?) post over there so i thought I could reference them here. If that's a no-no then I apologize and Mellow can delete this post.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just an FYI - gl1800riders has the owners/navi manuals on downloadable links. I saw Mellow (is there another Mellow?) post over there so i thought I could reference them here. If that's a no-no then I apologize and Mellow can delete this post.
Nothing wrong with those as Honda doesn't really sell them and they usually provide free links anyway, it's the service manuals we don't allow as those are sold by Honda and many will copy / distribute those illegally.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
So the shared owners manual is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Aqz1iOYtwkQ2pfRUxzekRmSzA/view

Looks like it covers all the models since it calls out when a feature or control applies only to a certain model or group of models.
GL1800 Gold Wing Tour base/manual
GL1800D Gold Wing Tour DCT
GL1800DA Gold Wing Tour DCT/Airbag
GL1800B Gold Wing base/manual
GL1800BD Gold Wing DCT

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
For some reason I thought the higher the compression ratio the more need for higher octane fuel, The more compression creates pre-detonation on lower octane fuels example "pinging" and when I looked at engines that use regular fuel vs premium, in most cases the compression ratio was noticeably less.
How ever I also read that it takes regular fuel so that blows my thinking out of the water.
It's more complicated than just compression ratios. For one thing going to a 4-valve head allows a central plug location which is ideal compared to a two valve head where the plug is stuck over to one side. That makes for a really long flame path to reach the other side of the combustion chamber. Since gas burns at the same rate regardless of RPM, more spark lead is required to allow time for this long path to burn. This additional spark advance makes the engine more susceptible to knock. I'll bet with the centrally located plug, Honda was able to back off on the ignition advance. Another factor is CC turbulence, the better the fuel/air mixture can be evenly mixed, the quicker the burn, which also allows for less spark lead. Even Harleys have finally gone to a 4-valve head, it was overdue for the GL.

Bike
92 ST1100
Higher compression ratios cause fuel/air mixtures to compress more which creates more heat. To slow this igniting reaction down a bit, a higher octane fuel may be reccomended, which is a bit later igniting than a lower octane fuel. Using a higher octane fuel can eliminate any pre-ignition issues. In other words, lower octane fuel ignites quicker than a high octane fuel.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Per the specs in the back of the official owners manual (link in post above) the recommended fuel is 86 PON or better. As stated compression isn't the only factor in determining what fuel to use. Combined with spark timing and even spark temp are also factors.

Bike
GL1800-2012
Crow is such tuff meat.....but I ate and now I pulled the trigger and waiting on the delivery hopefully February 2018! Yippy-Yippy.

Top Bottom