Honda Big Announcement end of October 2017.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
That maybe their 'intent' - merge the ST and the Goldwing. They'd save a lot of costs that way. ;-) Sort of like the big BMW.
After spending yesterday adding LED bulbs and Oxford heated grips to my ST, I'm tired of having to add farkles. My next touring bike will have everything I want from the factory. I hope Honda gets it right finally. They are way past due.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Is everyone thinking a new GL is the 'big announcement' at the end of October?
If you mean Gold Wing, that's my assumption. Maybe some others as well but guessing the main one is the new GW.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Is everyone thinking a new GL is the 'big announcement' at the end of October?
I still wonder if the new GL is the big announcement. Honda's Powersports website still lists a 10/24/17 "#WhatLiesBeyond" date. For those of you showing new pictures, where are you getting them? Is Honda providing them? If Honda has released the pictures, this is a new pattern for them, and it perhaps implies that there's something else (bigger?) planned for 10/24/17.

If you mean Gold Wing, that's my assumption. Maybe some others as well but guessing the main one is the new GW.
Yes, I meant GL. Which is the Gold Wing. Honda's Gold Wing has had the designation GL since 1974 (models GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, and the current GL1800).

Bike
ST1300
Honda does not want my business any more. That's ok, there are other bikes when this one is used up. I am NOT going any heavier or for any Harley looking bikes. If they want to pull out of the ST market there are others. Honda will just loose the sport touring market, .like the CTX crap.

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
All these rumors about the new Goldwing reminded me of a conversation I had with my friend from Honda Torrance (motorcycle division).
Two years ago at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show, my friend told me "You will wait a LONG time for a new ST".
He said he knows every bike that will be introduced in the next 5 years, but would lose his job if he told anyone.
And he said the introductions are really now a global event, not like in years past where new bikes were displayed each fall for the Honda Dealers Meetings.

When I told him that I will be greatly disappointed if there is no new ST, he said the market is all about adventure bikes now.
I said I am not interested in a big heavy Goldwing as a substitute for a new ST.
His response was very interesting. "IF we were to re-design the Goldwing, it would be a lot lighter and much sportier, and much closer to an ST than you might imagine.
So where do you think that would leave the ST?"
I told him I would have no choice but to consider a Wing, but it better have the Dual Clutch option because I am SO done with shifting.
Jefro.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
After spending yesterday adding LED bulbs and Oxford heated grips to my ST, I'm tired of having to add farkles. My next touring bike will have everything I want from the factory. I hope Honda gets it right finally. They are way past due.
That's exactly why I bought what I bought, had everything from the factory including a wonder wheel that controls everything on the bike including the Clearwater lights that I added.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Bike
Honda ST1300-09
BMW....new RT...new K 1600.....changes...new colours...technology......and for the Honda funs like me and a lot of us.....nothing....We 're pure victims of Honda economic planning...At last me and my 2009 st 1300 (red) a lonely company.........Hopes for 2019!!!!!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not sure if that's the real thing or not but it looks a lot more svelte than the current GW, almost STish.
It's a render not a pic. 'Course that doesn't mean it didn't start out as a pic. That's a possibility. I think the first looks svelte because of the angle. The Wing in the background looks pretty typical to me. They might have slimmed it a bit.

The naked pic looks real enough. The dash looks like it might be a render as well but could still be a treated pic.

Overall I like what is shown though a Wing it too big for me or my parking. From the text Honda kept it an 1800+ cc. I would have like to see it a little bigger but that may be a function of Japanese law.

I'm really interested to see what shows up.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes, I meant GL. Which is the Gold Wing. Honda's Gold Wing has had the designation GL since 1974 (models GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, and the current GL1800).
Yes, I realized that's what you meant a while after I posted. But with all the rumors, I thought maybe you were referring to a different bike... I'm not too well versed on all the different designations. :-|

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
That's exactly why I bought what I bought, had everything from the factory including a wonder wheel that controls everything on the bike including the Clearwater lights that I added.
Same reason I bought a Triumph Tiger 800XCX two years ago. It came with everything I wanted on a bike. I added factory heated grips when I bought it new. If the Africa Twin had all the option my Triumph has, I might consider one.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 2014 Tiger 800 had factory heated grips and I added the Triumph auxiliary halogen lighting. Trouble was with grips on High the lights tripped the relay and it all went off. The dealer told me not to run the grips on high if I wanted the lights on at the same time. Triumph fixed the problem with this in 2015 but I had already sold that bike and moved on.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I knew when I spotted a mole posting in many forums a few years back (bad English) about what would a rider want if Honda redesigned the Goldwing and ST. I said I wanted an ST with 6 cylinders @ 1600cc that had to have an adjustable windshield and electronic CC, heated grips and integrated audio system. I hope they didn't listen to me when I also asked for a very loud horn that played La Chooka La Racha :rolleyes:

Top Bottom