Side stand indicator LED

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If the side stand is wired to prevent an in-gear start, could it also be a switch for a circuit that could power an LED to indicate the stand is down?

Green neutral light, green stand-down light maybe?

I ask because I am paranoid about a partially deployed stand leading to a drop. I've done it twice on my Tiger (though in truth one was a on a forward incline).

I'm electrically challenged so I would need some directions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Center stand indicator LED

Hmmm, it won't partially deploy and if it fully dropped you'll know as the engine will stop running... That's how I stop my bike by putting the stand down that way I know it's in gear and the stand is fully deployed so as to not tip it over by forgetting to put the stand down....

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Hmmm, it won't partially deploy and if it fully dropped you'll know as the engine will stop running... That's how I stop my bike by putting the stand down that way I know it's in gear and the stand is fully deployed so as to not tip it over by forgetting to put the stand down....
Thanks, that's a sound approach.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #

If the center stand is wired to prevent an in-gear start
The center stand is not wired to prevent an in gear start, but the side stand is.

Yes, putting the side stand down will kill the engine if in gear, it is very easy to forget to turn the key off using this method though.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

The center stand is not wired to prevent an in gear start, but the side stand is.
Sorry, I've been focused on getting my ST1300 on the centre stand today. Clearly that carried on to my post.
I do mean side stand.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

What? Another "deficiency" in the 1300 that had been addressed with a dash light on the 1100?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I do mean side stand.
We got that. :) Congratulations on your Lazy STusan. Very nice. If it doesn't put you too much on tippy (no pun intended) toes you might put a 1" or more board under the rear tire. Then position the STusan under the center stand and pop it up. Move the board out of the way and Bob's your uncle.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

We got that. :) Congratulations on your Lazy STusan. Very nice. If it doesn't put you too much on tippy (no pun intended) toes you might put a 1" or more board under the rear tire. Then position the STusan under the center stand and pop it up. Move the board out of the way and Bob's your uncle.
Thanks, it was super easy to build.
A board seems to be the only way I can get it in the centre stand. I just don't have the strength other wise.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I find to deploy the center stand, in general, on a motorbike, is to step down and reward, as opposed to lifting straight up. Usually, it's a technique issue, more than strength. Maybe that will help. Chunk.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
+1 what Chunk said. You definitely do not have to be able to lift 300+ lbs with one hand to get the ST onto its CS, maybe 40-50 lbs if you're doing it right. You need to put as much of your body weight as possible on the CS lever while lifting with the right hand.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
+1 what Chunk said. You definitely do not have to be able to lift 300+ lbs with one hand to get the ST onto its CS, maybe 40-50 lbs if you're doing it right. You need to put as much of your body weight as possible on the CS lever while lifting with the right hand.
You also need to rock it back and forth a a few times and take advantage of the momentum going backward. Usually takes me 2-3 rocks to get my ST1100 up, same for my bother's ST1300. It's really not that hard once you get the motion down.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

A board seems to be the only way I can get it in the centre stand. I just don't have the strength other wise.
You must not be doing it right. I'm no muscle man at 67 years old and I can centre stand my 1100 no problem. First, you stand facing the bike. Then you put your lefthand on the left grip, your right hand on the assist lever, your right foot on the centre stand. Then make sure both feet of the CS are contacting the ground and stand, with all your weight, on the CS as you pull rearwards with both hands. Should not need a lot of lifting with the arms, as Chunk says.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I get my 1300 on its CS exactly as Bush described, although it may be a little easier for me since it's a little lighter than his 1100. I can't quite visualize how Paulcb rocks his ST back and forth with both CS feet touching the ground in order to get it up in the air, but I definitely have to rock my body mass back and forth a few times to get it over-center when getting it off the CS!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The problem with trying to lift the ST is that energy is wasted when you inadvertently try to lift the ST above it's highest point on the arc of the stand. Once it's at or very near that point the energy needs to be directing the bike back instead of up.

But all the 'technique' doesn't help if you can't get the bike high enough to start with. Variables determine what that height will be. For me it's 195lbs and 42/42lbs and lifting in an arc. At some point I'll add some plywood under the front or rear wheel.

With enough weight on the stand's arm no technique or finesse whatsoever would be needed.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
With enough weight on the stand's arm no technique or finesse whatsoever would be needed.
At over 200 pounds (which I shouldn't be), I have no problem putting enough weight on the arm to lever the bike onto the centerstand, but I can see how more appropriately-weighted people may have to work a little harder at it.

I wonder if anyone has devised a lever-arm that could be placed temporarily on the centerstand's arm to increase the leverage.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The problem with trying to lift the ST is that energy is wasted when you inadvertently try to lift the ST above it's highest point on the arc of the stand. Once it's at or very near that point the energy needs to be directing the bike back instead of up.

But all the 'technique' doesn't help if you can't get the bike high enough to start with. Variables determine what that height will be. For me it's 195lbs and 42/42lbs and lifting in an arc. At some point I'll add some plywood under the front or rear wheel.

Well I'm a lean 170 lbs so that's pretty light by your numbers. [emoji846]

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

What? Another "deficiency" in the 1300 that had been addressed with a dash light on the 1100?
I was wondering about that when I read the OP, so the 1300 doesn't have the sidestand indicator light?

also, I'm 175 lbs and put the 1100 on the centerstand occasionally barefooted, which does take a little technique, but with shoes on its very simple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom