Ye Olde starter relay problem.. or is it? (St1100)

Bike
ST1100 1999
Evening all.
Firstly, had starter relay replaced earlier this year after red plug mostly melted, temp fix made with spade connectors. (1999 model ABS)
No issues since while I searched for replacement red plug. I have not used the bike much since then, mostly only use it for marshalling. Have gone no further than 400 miles. Used in late july at a Marathon, parked since. (Exhaust needed repairs, was waiting on exhaust gaskets).
Last week, decided to take it out for a cruise.
Nothing happening at the button. No click. Neutral light faded slightly. Voltmeter showed only 12.1V accross terminals. Put it on trickle charge overnight. Still nothing happening at button. Checked starter relay, wires had moved somewhat, while checking managed to blow main fuse (twice). Got a replacement red plug from a 1990 model over weekend.
However...
Voltage is showing to relay from main red wire. Nothing on either of the other wires. Same when starter button is pressed.
Does this sound like a relay problem or a button problem?

Thanks in advance.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
It's probably the Battery. 12.1 across the Terminals is too low. I had one that would show 12.6 before the ignition was turned on. Dropped to something like 1.8 by just turning on the key.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
It's probably the Battery. 12.1 across the Terminals is too low. I had one that would show 12.6 before the ignition was turned on. Dropped to something like 1.8 by just turning on the key.
the first thing to check is the battery voltage with ignition switch on. The fact that you don't hear a click indicates either the battery is too weak to close the relay contacts, or something has failed in either the relay itself or the wiring to the relay coil.

However, the fact that you've blown the main fuse twice may suggest the battery is adequate and there's a wiring issue that needs to be traced down. Moving a few wires around shouldn't blow a fuse.

put a meter across the battery terminals and note the voltage with the ignition switch on, and then again while pressing the starter button. A little drop is normal, a big drop is not.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Unless he touched them to the wrong places, which is what I gathered from his already cobbled together spade connectors.
Thanks for pointing that out Bush. So let's backup a step then, are the spade connectors taped up, shrinkwrapped, or otherwise insulated so they won't short out on each other, or some other metal ground point? If not, do that before going any further.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1999
The spade connectors were a temp fix, not made by me..... I had to source a replacement red plug for my mechanic man(whose bread and butter is putting farkles on goldwings). It wasn't easy round these parts.
I put the battery on trickle charge overnight after the initial failed attempt to start.
Current weather conditions do not permit me checking what the current battery status is, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance. However on the spade connector point, the wires on one were loose. two wires were put to one connector. (on the RHS as you look at it from the side of the bike.) The front was a single red wire, and the other went to the rear LHS connection.
This is all helpful though.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1999
Went deeper. Switch not a problem. Voltage 12.2 accross battery, drops to 11 when ign on, drops below when starter pressed. (Note we don't have always on headlights here).
So do I need a new battery?
Had on trickle charge earlier as I said.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe, but the battery still may not be fully charged. It may take more than a trickle charger over night if the battery was discharged a lot.

I would get a 5-10 amp charger and connect to battery and read the terminal voltage when charging. Should be up around 14-15 volts while charging. If much less, you probably have a dead cell.
It's also informative if the charger has a current meter so you can see what's happening. When first connected, the current should be up there and then gradually decrease as the battery reaches full charge. If no charging current, or the current doesn't decrease over time, then you have a bad battery. Of course, when the battery is fully charged, the current should be low and when the charger is removed, the battery terminal voltage should be about 12.8 volts.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Went deeper. Switch not a problem. Voltage 12.2 accross battery, drops to 11 when ign on, drops below when starter pressed. (Note we don't have always on headlights here).
So do I need a new battery?
Had on trickle charge earlier as I said.
sounds suspicious to me, turn the headlights on with the bike not running and see what happens, I suspect you're going to see too much drop based on what you're seeing so far.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1999
Well, I got tired of fiddling about with it, took advantage of breakdown cover and it went to the mechanic today. He rang me back within 90 minutes to say he had it running again, and had replaced the relay.

From now on I'm keeping a spare relay.

Top Bottom