Dimples on the wheel

Bike
2010 ST1300
Changed my front tire today and saw a series of 3 dimples on the inside of the rim. See the pic below. I know that one dimples a framing square to true it up. Are these dimples factory made to true the wheel? There are two sets pictured, there were a few more (I did not note how many).wheel rim.jpg

Bike
ST1300 - Black
Interesting?
My first guess would be for production. In the process of finishing and painting of the rim.

Question: how many sets of 3 spots are there.
My hunch is there are 6.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Those look like holes drilled in heavy spots to balance the wheel.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Those look like holes drilled in heavy spots to balance the wheel.

--Mark
In the flesh, they looked more like center punch dimples - not drilled. And every such balancing hole that I've ever seen either had a very shallow point or none at all. Were these balancing points, why would they have drilled three close together and then another three nearby. And more elsewhere? A novice machinist or apprentice robot?

STOC #
Pneumatic Crop Circles.

This can happen when aliens invade your compressor.
I'd check the tank too.

Always fill your tires with Nitrogen... they don't like Nitrogen.
(It's also why they use Green caps for those).

Jim

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I think it was made back in 2009 for a 2010 bike by a little Japanese fellow working at the Honda factory. He made those dimples and tells his buddy, "Someday these marking are going to make me famous, as people on the internet will discover them, post them and waste time talking about them". He was so right about that and I am not guilty as charged.:)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Were you the original owner? I wonder if the rim was damaged and these are signs left from someone trying to true or straighten the rim?
Never come across them before.
Maybe that little 3 point laser light that the Predator creature used :rofl1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, let's settle this, everyone go out and check your rims for like holes!

What do you mean you can't? Don't you have rims laying around to look at? :well1:

:nanner1:

I guess I'll try to remember to look at the ones I have in my shed and let you know if they have them! :cool:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The two sets of holes don't look to be identical in spacing or orientation or position. In the one set they don't look to be identical in depth either. Even from looking at a pic I'm comfortable that they're not drill holes.

I'm sure they were placed there deliberately and not on a production line (because of the lack of uniformity).

3) attempt to true rim
2) artifact of home-brew modification to HF tire changer
1) pneumatic crop circles.

Rockwell/hardness test to measure hardness of wheel. Hence the 3 spots...not perfectly symetrical each time. Take 3 measurements move to different part of the wheel. Reason why not many of us have seen it before. Probably the start/beginning/end of the manufacturing lot.

STOC #
Yeah... right... Rockwell Hardness Test... I say, PLTTtttttt.....

Then explain why they only happen at night.

Jim

:)

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Were you the original owner? I wonder if the rim was damaged and these are signs left from someone trying to true or straighten the rim?
Never come across them before.
Maybe that little 3 point laser light that the Predator creature used :rofl1:
I'm not the orig owner. But there are no scratches or signs of damage to the rim.

I wonder if something punctured the tire and damaged the rim?
If so, must have been Neptune's trident - and ole Nep kept missing and trying again.

Rockwell/hardness test to measure hardness of wheel. Hence the 3 spots...not perfectly symetrical each time. Take 3 measurements move to different part of the wheel. Reason why not many of us have seen it before. Probably the start/beginning/end of the manufacturing lot.
I like this. must have been a newbie testing the rim - lots of tests - I pictured 6, in two sets of 3, and there is at least one more set of 3, maybe more (I was not counting or paying attention).

Top Bottom