Thread: FI light flashing

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: FI light flashing

Folks, and you too Larry, I haven't had a clog or restriction of the 5 way T as yet, so can you answer why does it clog and where does the buildup come from? Too much blow by causing increased CC pressure? Type of oil? Maintenance or lack of? humidity? Just wondering so maybe we can prevent it.

Bike
    2003 Honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

DavidR8 thanks for taking the great pictures and showing how this works. I was going to pull my 5 way T the other day got started and then chickened out. Since you showed me how it works I think I will try it the next time I service the bike. Can anyone tell me what size vacuum hose to buy so I can have it on hand a before I start. I live in a small town so will probably have to shop for it ahead of time or have the bike down for a week waiting on hose. Thanks keep up the great information. John
    The Flying Pig

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

FI light flashing

You're welcome Okiehick!

Igofar gave me a great tip: buy a kit to repair windshield washer hose as that hose is same as the vacuum hose.

Another piece of advice from Igofar: the screws that hold the air box to the throttle bodies are JIS standard which is different from a Phillips.

I didn't have a JIS screwdriver however the screwdriver bit that is in the bike toolkit works well. There's also a small wrench with two small slots in the handle.
    This is used with the screwdriver to make a T-driver handle for the screwdriver bit. I'll take pictures later and post them.

My screws were very tight and a Phillips screwdriver would not have worked. The tools from the toolkit worked well for me.

Big shout out to Larry (Igofar) for his help and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidR8; 09-14-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    David
    Finally an ST owner!
    2005 w/ factory topbox

For anyone needing JIS screwdrivers, bits, or plastic push pins or rivets, I have found them here at the best prices anywhere so far.
    http://cyclemax.com/gl1800_maintenan...8741&start=100

5. The Following User Likes This Post:

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    The K&N filter is causing a hurricane like on wizard of oz and throwing oil everywhere
    And, if you use a K&N filter and live on the east coast, it may cause a shark-nado
    Very technical answer Larry! Thanks, you've solved it again!
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -14,000 miles, 2010 - 65,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 30,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cdnemsguy View Post
    Folks, and you too Larry, I haven't had a clog or restriction of the 5 way T as yet, so can you answer why does it clog and where does the buildup come from? Too much blow by causing increased CC pressure? Type of oil? Maintenance or lack of? humidity? Just wondering so maybe we can prevent it.
    I think the most likely source of the goo that plugs these tees is vaporized fuel in the intake system that condenses, collects at the low point (which happens to be the tee) and then eventually accumulates enough baked down goo reduction to cause a plug. Re-configuring the tee so it's the high point and the connections to the intakes are the low points might encourage that goo to drain into the intake and be burned instead of collecting in the vacuum system.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

I agree. I was originally going to move it forward so it's easier to access however in conversation with Larry and more thought it makes more sense to use slightly longer hoses so that the T stands higher that the inlets on the throttle bodies.
    Moving it forward would have only made the collection point larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123