FI light flashing

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Folks, and you too Larry, I haven't had a clog or restriction of the 5 way T as yet, so can you answer why does it clog and where does the buildup come from? Too much blow by causing increased CC pressure? Type of oil? Maintenance or lack of? humidity? Just wondering so maybe we can prevent it.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
DavidR8 thanks for taking the great pictures and showing how this works. I was going to pull my 5 way T the other day got started and then chickened out. Since you showed me how it works I think I will try it the next time I service the bike. Can anyone tell me what size vacuum hose to buy so I can have it on hand a before I start. I live in a small town so will probably have to shop for it ahead of time or have the bike down for a week waiting on hose. Thanks keep up the great information. John

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
You're welcome Okiehick!

Igofar gave me a great tip: buy a kit to repair windshield washer hose as that hose is same as the vacuum hose.

Another piece of advice from Igofar: the screws that hold the air box to the throttle bodies are JIS standard which is different from a Phillips.

I didn't have a JIS screwdriver however the screwdriver bit that is in the bike toolkit works well. There's also a small wrench with two small slots in the handle.
This is used with the screwdriver to make a T-driver handle for the screwdriver bit. I'll take pictures later and post them.

My screws were very tight and a Phillips screwdriver would not have worked. The tools from the toolkit worked well for me.

Big shout out to Larry (Igofar) for his help and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The K&N filter is causing a hurricane like on wizard of oz and throwing oil everywhere :twist1:
And, if you use a K&N filter and live on the east coast, it may cause a shark-nado :rofl1:
Very technical answer Larry! Thanks, you've solved it again! :rofl1:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Folks, and you too Larry, I haven't had a clog or restriction of the 5 way T as yet, so can you answer why does it clog and where does the buildup come from? Too much blow by causing increased CC pressure? Type of oil? Maintenance or lack of? humidity? Just wondering so maybe we can prevent it.
I think the most likely source of the goo that plugs these tees is vaporized fuel in the intake system that condenses, collects at the low point (which happens to be the tee) and then eventually accumulates enough baked down goo reduction to cause a plug. Re-configuring the tee so it's the high point and the connections to the intakes are the low points might encourage that goo to drain into the intake and be burned instead of collecting in the vacuum system.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I agree. I was originally going to move it forward so it's easier to access however in conversation with Larry and more thought [emoji189] it makes more sense to use slightly longer hoses so that the T stands higher that the inlets on the throttle bodies.
Moving it forward would have only made the collection point larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Good description. Do you need to take the tank off or can it be done without taking the tank off.
I did it with the tank on. I think the key to this is using the correct screwdriver. The screws holding the snorkles on are NOT Phillips. Mine were very tight and I know if I used a Phillips I could not have put enough downward pressure on the screwdriver to stop it from slipping.

The screwdriver in the toolkit worked like a charm. I was mightily impressed.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did it with the tank on. I think the key to this is using the correct screwdriver. The screws holding the snorkles on are NOT Phillips. Mine were very tight and I know if I used a Phillips I could not have put enough downward pressure on the screwdriver to stop it from slipping.

I've always used an impact screwdriver. While they usually don't come with the JIS tip, the Phillips will work, you just have to PULL the screw off when you've broken it loose. ;) Or just get one from some place that will fit your impact driver! :D

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
One shouldn't :well1:
A drop of PB Blaster on the JIS screws, wait a couple minutes, then use a proper JIS driver to remove them without any damage.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Can you mark with an arrow these hoses and the 5T in the previous photograph, where they are sill on he bike. Thanks.
An easy way to assure your yanking on the correct hoses is to remove the one screw that holds the map sensor switch to its mount, The sensor has (1) hose coming straight out of the bottom of it, follow this hose down and it connects to the plastic Tee fitting, once you've identified that, follow each of the hoses to the TB nipple (brass) and you have it.
Don't try to PULL the hoses off of the plastic Tee or you will risk braking it. Pull the hoses off the TB housing (brass nipple) and remove the entire assembly as a whole unit.
You can then put a drop of PB blaster on the connections, wait a second, then PUSH them off the fitting.
Do not try to re-use the lines, as they will have a memory and may cause air leaks.
Replace the hoses with new ones.
I am available on the white courtesy :call: if you have any questions, or would like to chat tomorrow.
Igofar

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That's because the screwdriver in the toolkit has a JIS tip on it. Phillips was designed to cam out on purpose to keep from overtorquing the fasteners. JIS is designed to stay in there with the assumption that torque will be controlled externally.

The two best things in the stock tool kit are that screwdriver and the spark plug wrench.

--Mark

Top Bottom