ST1300 vs CTX1300

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
Has anyone on this site owned both a CTX1300 and a ST1300? If so I would appreciate any comments comparing the two bikes.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
JRob has both now. Maybe he'll see this thread and post in. I had a ST1100 and now a CTX1300. The CTX wins hands down for me. But that's just me.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There was a time I owned a VF700 Sabre and they were made for two years ('84 & '85). I also owned a '83 & a '85 V45 Sabre. ('85 was from Canada, which was pretty much identical to the '83)

The '82 and '83 V45 Sabres were very different in a number of ways, not all parts were interchangeable.

Then there was the '84 & '85 V65 Sabres, they were pretty close, where you could swap most parts. (a few changes in the frames and other minor differences.) How do I know this, I had a '85 and a '84. The 85, bought off ebay had a tweaked frame, so I never rode it, I just swapped parts to my '84.

So, why am I talking about these bikes? Because they were limited to one or two years of production, like the CTX1300. Right now you can still buy them new, since they went over like lead balloons, but in a few years, parts are going to be hard to impossible to find, kind of like we are now starting to see with the ST1300s (anyone finding the air deflectors lately?) and the ST1100s are already there.

If you have no wish to keep a bike more than a few years, then that won't bother you. If you do, you might want to start collecting a few parts now and hold them until you need them!

If you get too late in the game for a particular bike (like the ST1100 where some parts are getting really hard to find) then you feel like your bike is never complete. Like I did with my '83 V45 Sabre. and even the V65 Sabre, although I managed to buy a NOS Blue stripe fairing for my V65 Sabre (off ebay of course)

84v65sabre_mine_bluestripe.jpg

So, as you are planning your "Bike" life, keep those things in mind and as Mike on "American Pickers" says, "if you see something you want, you better buy it when you come across it!" :D

And let me add, at least the ST1100 and ST1300 were in production for lots of years, so there are still lots of parts (even though some are starting to get hard to find) out there.

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
I own an ST13 but have test ridden the ctx on a few occasions last year as I was interested in getting one. The ST13 is a better bike IMO. Better wind protection, quieter and has more bells and whistles. The area where the CTX is better is that it is less susceptible to wind drafts on the road or from other vehicles due to its lower height. CTX may also be easier to work on due to a less inhibiting fairing.

After a few test rides, I decided to stick with the ST13.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I own an ST13 but have test ridden the ctx on a few occasions last year as I was interested in getting one. The ST13 is a better bike IMO. Better wind protection, quieter and has more bells and whistles.
I have owned both, the ST about 4 years ago & currently ride the CTX (standard version).

Background: I purchase a new (used) bike about once every couple riding seasons because i put about 15k miles on a year & sometimes it's tough to sell a bike with 30k miles on them. So it was about that time & i found a used CTX with 3800 miles for a great price. After finding the right windshield, which is a must & fine tuning the bike to fit me (ex the side view mirrors- you have to adjust the handle bars to be able to see out of just 80% of the mirrors- ***:confused:) it does have it's design qwerks, but I can honestly say that i'm enjoying this bike much more then i ever thought that i would.

I mostly agree with etalors. except for the "Better Bike". i think that can only be answered by the individual rider & what their looking for. The CTX is different, i think Honda was marketing this as a mix between the Sport Tourer & a Cruiser (but that's only a guess seeing that i've never seen any real advertising for this bike) But it definitely leans way closer to the Cruiser side of the arena. It does carry over the same powertrain, but has been geared(?) totally different then the ST. I really miss that ST engine. I'm not a gear head, so i can't even start to explain the differences, but there is a noticeable difference in overall power. I don't recall what the st red lined at, but the CTX is set at 7k & it gets there very quickly. Specs says that it goes 0-60 in 4 seconds thats a .5 second slower then the ST. But it just feels slower- imo.
The Bikes ergonomics is definitely set up closer to the cruiser stg position, more upright & it might be the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden. The Bike compares to a old KZ1000P State Police bike that i once had & could spend hours comfortably riding the interstate. If your comparing this back to the ST, you need to compare the Deluxe version, because the standard is stripped down. It doesn't have ABS,Traction Control, Bluetooth Audio system, & self canceling signals. Both come with saddle bags, Neither model has Cruise Control or that awesome adjustable windshield like the ST does.

Suzuki intruder 800
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
Honda Valkyrie 1500
Honda Valkyrie Interstate 1500
Kawasaki KZ1000p
Honda ST1300
Yamaha FJR1300
Triumph Tiger 1050
Triumph Explorer 1200
Honda CTX1300

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
But, what is the comparison on twisty backroads? With equal riders, can the CTX hang with the ST in the twisties?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
With the same rider trying both, the ST will handle the twisties better since it will lean more and is designed with more of a sporty ride in mind. The CTX will do very well and actually will lean more than the Gold Wing, at least more than my old GL1500, so I'd imagine the CTX would do better than the GW for the same rider on the same roads. I know many of you ST riders know of riders with Gold Wings who can easily keep up with most ST riders and possibly do better than many in the twisties. Someone on this forum did a little research and found that the gear ratios are the same on both ST and CTX.

From what I've read over the last 3+ years that I've owned mine the throttle bodies are bigger in the ST and I believe resulting with the throttle response being faster. Though there can be the same twitchy throttle that the ST can have at low speed in lower gears. Some cams were also changed. I think the pistons may have been changed as well but not certain of all that went into dropping the compression a little to enable the CTX to run on regular fuel. The engine changes also resulted in a flatter torque line from about 2K rpm to over 4K rpm that is slightly higher than the ST has in that rpm range. The changes did result in lowering the red line on the CTX as well as where it peaks at max torque and HP, which results in those being lower than the MAX for the ST at higher rpm.

The main point is that, as with every bike, there are trade-offs to consider and the right choice is a matter of what trade-offs benefit best for the rider considering the choices.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I currently own both an '07 ST1300 and a CTX1300. I love both but as I have aged my priorities have as well. I purchased my CTX in May and I just pushed past 6k on the odometer. This is a bike that suits my needs well now and I am selling the ST. The ST is a bike that I have been riding since 1994 so it is not one that is given up easily.
Differences:
-Riding position: I'm not sure if Honda was really expecting ST owners to believe that the CTX is a sport touring machine but I would say that it is not. With a 90 degree knee angle it certainly fits in to the cruiser realm better than ST. The CTX is very, very comfy though.
-Suspension: The ST of course is butter smooth, at least in comparison to the CTX. When first purchased the CTX was pretty abrupt when coming across a surface that had any kind of irregularity. Over the miles this has gone away to a large extent but it is still not as smooth as the ST.
-Storage: Although I believe the boxes are spec'd as the same size the ST boxes are a bit friendlier for use. The CTX boxes are roughly the size and shape of a Harley Road King and the ST's seem to be deeper. The handles on the CTX are bit clunkier and the clasp is designed like a CTX700's. While the ST boxes are easily removeable the CTX boxes have to be unbolted.
-Power: The ST is certainly a rocket ship and the CTX is, well, not. Don't get me wrong, it will get up and go but if comparing to the ST there's a difference. The CTX wasn't geared for for rocketing off the line and of course the engine has been detuned as well. I would say that there is still plenty of power in the CTX though and I ride regularly with those from this forum and am easily able to keep up.
-Cornering: This is where there is a significant difference between the two in my opinion. Where you can sail through a tight corner on the ST the CTX is not made for it. One, you'll scrape the pegs pretty quickly and second, the CTX wallows a bit bit through turns. I believe this is due to a longer wheelbase and the engine sitting on the frame vs being part of it. Maybe others here may know more about that.
-The CTX also has a smaller tank that the ST so you have to plan your gas mileage where the ST can go and go. Just over 200 miles seems to be the limit of the CTX on a tank for me.

So it seems that there may be a lot of negatives on the CTX vs the ST and yes, that may be true. For some. For guys like me having your feet solidly planted on the ground at traffic lights makes it the perfect city bike. Having what can be compared to a couch as a seat on long hauls makes it great for touring. And yes, while riding with my ST buddies I keep up easily even when pushing it. There are other pluses and minuses for BOTH bikes as mentioned in some of the comments above. Both are fantastic bikes and a blast to ride. If you are looking at a CTX (see you have an ST) I would highly recommend doing a test ride. If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The CTX is different, i think Honda was marketing this as a mix between the Sport Tourer & a Cruiser (but that's only a guess seeing that i've never seen any real advertising for this bike)
That's exactly what they did and what it is and it's in a category called 'bagger'. The Honda advertising I've seen billed it as a weekend getaway bike for two. I think it's more than that if you want it to be. But it is different.

If you like the ST and it's riding style and performance envelope but can't get one— the CTX won't do. Likewise for enjoying the nature of the CTX. If that's your bag (and it's a nice one) the ST won't do.

As is often mentioned and sometimes not enough— the CTX is a different breed of bike for a different rider. Like any other bike a lot of owners are happy with it but a few apparently weren't. You have to decide what you want in a bike and what you want it to do and accept some degree of compromise that accompanies almost any choice.

So it seems that there may be a lot of negatives on the CTX vs the ST
That's true for riders who prefer the what the ST has to offer in the first place. The opposite is true for those who like what the CTX offers. The common mistake is to compare the bikes as though they're in the same category of riding style.

OP
OP
Thunderchief
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I found a dealer that had a CTX on the floor. Right away I did not like the handlebar design, the way it connected to the tubes, or anything about all that I saw in front of me while sitting on the bike. It seemed they ran out of time before they got around to designing the bike presentation in front of the rider. I was going through this exercise because I wanted a red bike just like my silver 2007 ST1300. I am now convinced that an ST1300 is the only bike I would be happy riding so I am going to just get used to silver. The ST1300 is a wonderful machine. I appreciate all of the comments as they have helped me come to this conclusion.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I have owned both, the ST about 4 years ago & currently ride the CTX (standard version).

Background: I purchase a new (used) bike about once every couple riding seasons because i put about 15k miles on a year & sometimes it's tough to sell a bike with 30k miles on them. So it was about that time & i found a used CTX with 3800 miles for a great price. After finding the right windshield, which is a must & fine tuning the bike to fit me (ex the side view mirrors- you have to adjust the handle bars to be able to see out of just 80% of the mirrors- ***:confused:) it does have it's design qwerks, but I can honestly say that i'm enjoying this bike much more then i ever thought that i would.

I mostly agree with etalors. except for the "Better Bike". i think that can only be answered by the individual rider & what their looking for. The CTX is different, i think Honda was marketing this as a mix between the Sport Tourer & a Cruiser (but that's only a guess seeing that i've never seen any real advertising for this bike) But it definitely leans way closer to the Cruiser side of the arena. It does carry over the same powertrain, but has been geared(?) totally different then the ST. I really miss that ST engine. I'm not a gear head, so i can't even start to explain the differences, but there is a noticeable difference in overall power. I don't recall what the st red lined at, but the CTX is set at 7k & it gets there very quickly. Specs says that it goes 0-60 in 4 seconds thats a .5 second slower then the ST. But it just feels slower- imo.
The Bikes ergonomics is definitely set up closer to the cruiser stg position, more upright & it might be the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden. The Bike compares to a old KZ1000P State Police bike that i once had & could spend hours comfortably riding the interstate. If your comparing this back to the ST, you need to compare the Deluxe version, because the standard is stripped down. It doesn't have ABS,Traction Control, Bluetooth Audio system, & self canceling signals. Both come with saddle bags, Neither model has Cruise Control or that awesome adjustable windshield like the ST does.

Suzuki intruder 800
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
Honda Valkyrie 1500
Honda Valkyrie Interstate 1500
Kawasaki KZ1000p
Honda ST1300
Yamaha FJR1300
Triumph Tiger 1050
Triumph Explorer 1200
Honda CTX1300
Red line is 8500:)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
Honda ST1300
I currently own both the ST13 and the CTX1300. I have done about 4200 miles on the CTX since last July and absolutely love it. I have only done about 400 miles so far on the ST which I took possession of a few weeks ago. The weather here in the U.K has been rubbish to say the least. I love this Pan. I got it as an all rounder, more capable of keeping up with quicker stuff when doing training. Here goes:
The CTX was bought to slow me down a little. To help me see a different perspective of biking. I came from a Kawasaki Versys 1000, which was a great bike. The CTX is low with very wide bars and an unbelievable balance due to all the fuel being low down. I can ride it completely chilled out and at one with the universe. It is very comfortable. I have the bigger screen fitted and a top box. It is a deluxe (USA) version with abs and the music. They all come to the UK like that.
The Pan is a superb machine. As stated it will go around corners much better than the CTX due to its shorter wheelbase and higher foot pegs. The CTX feels wider, lower and just takes the comfort prize. The Pan certainly wants to crack on a bit more. I have to check my speed as it is a deceptive bike. The engines do feel about the same. I can't honestly say that at sensible speeds (up to 80ish) there is any difference. Clearly the Pan would lift its skirt and clear off at high speed.
The CTX is an excellent handler for the cruiser class but not in the sport/tourer league.
The lights on both motorcycles are outstanding. I suppose the CTX, with the more modern set-up of LED would win by a tiny margin.
Fuel economy is definitely better on the CTX. Expect 50 ish MPG UK all day long. The Pan maybe 45 ish but early days. Clearly those extra 9 and a half litres could be handy for the ST on a tour but the CTX is good for 200 miles to a tank.
In summary; going for a relaxed holiday with steady mates - take a CTX. Going with the quicker boys and girls - take a Pan. I will have a holiday on each! The Pan is certainly the better all rounder.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In summary; going for a relaxed holiday with steady mates - take a CTX. Going with the quicker boys and girls - take a Pan. I will have a holiday on each! The Pan is certainly the better all rounder.
Choice is good!

Bike
R1200rt
My biggest concern about the CTX is what happens a few more years down the line??? being a one and done production bike, what happens to the part supply and availability???

Bike
Honda ST1300
Doesn't worry me! It will be a sought after classic because it is bloody good. What's more, people who can't quite stretch to a new Gold Wing will go for it. Mine is not going anywhere. It has our Pan engine too, which is utterly reliable. To own one is to love one.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Not quite the answer to the question, but I ride both an ST 1300 and a Victory Vision Tour. I got the Vision for the comfort of the wife on the long road trips we like to take and never found anyone who wanted to give me a decent price for the ST so I kept it. I love to ride both of them, but they are different rides. The Vision is a big V-twin thumper but freakin' comfortable as hell on the highway and I can pretty much keep up with the people I ride with (except Catcher and his friend Don). The ST is just fun to ride and has always seemed more Sport than Touring to me. Depends what you like. Luckily I can afford more than one pony in the stable.

Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I rode a Ctx once. IDNK who designed the handlebars, but the ONLY thing I could see in the mirrors was my arms and shoulders.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I can't get past the windshield or lack thereof.
There's an optional 20" screen available. Honda may have made a misstep advertising it as a bagger. A pic on the site with the taller screen involved might have been a good idea. I only saw one pic that just showed the top of the fairing and the screen so you never got the full look.

Top Bottom