Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip-over bars - general question

Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

Tip-over bars - general question

I am examining alternative tip-over bars including those from the Goldwing.

My question relates to mounting to the ST frame by the two sturdy frame bolts. These bolts are socket round heads that on the bike screw in flush with the outer surface. They screw into a 'hole' bored to about 7/8" dia.

When a tip-over bar is fitted the bored hole remains 'empty' with the smaller bolt shank passing through. This idea doesn't sound good to me in terms of supporting the tip-overs or the bike frame.

1. What would ST'ers think please? No doubt there are many ST getting around and alas tipping 'successfully'.

2. I also had a thought that a ~7/8' dia collar could be made and pushed into the bored part and be just proud of the outer surface so that the tip-over mounting plate would tighten on that instead of the outer bike frame surface.

Thanks for thoughts.

D

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Tip-over bars - general question

Pictures or diagrams?

The GW rear tip over bars would hold just fine with RedDirtCowboy's plates attached. So I'm not sure what you are asking.
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -14,000 miles, 2010 - 65,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 30,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

Likewise I think (but have no direct evidence) that those who bolt the GL1800 bars directly have not experienced any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    Finally an ST owner!
    2005 w/ factory topbox

Bike
    07 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I know what you are asking and yes having whatever you bolt on there stand proud would make me happy. As it is I put some hard rubber between the alloy casting and my MCL tip over bars.
    It's not optimal but it's working. I would rather have the sleeves. If you make them may I have a set please?

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

It doesn't seem to be a problem to bolt them directly to the frame through the step plate but I've only tested my Goldwing bars mounted like this once. I believe the original bolts are flush in the step for aesthetic reasons and not for strength. The adapter plates to my eye are awkward looking and unnecessary but to each his own opinion.
    Last edited by dduelin; 09-13-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD
    Honda CH80

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Seems like...

Many of us have been using the GoldWing bars for years and have tested the strength numerous times. heck I even dropped my bike off a three foot lift onto it's side. If that doesn't stress them to the bend point I don't think anything will.

The outer piece is solid, the inner piece is solid. Pushing on the threads or the outer face results in the same pressure to the same structural members just at the top of the well instead of the bottom. But the well has solid walls, so in the end... just do it.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Bike
    2006 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

The other alternative is made by MC Enterprises. It is the one used by law enforcement.

http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/gara...nda_st1300.htm

I saw one of the last ST1300's used by the Sheriffs Dept in the garage. It was being used as a training bike. All the new Deputy's were required to low side the bike so they would know how to ride it out. The rear MC (#1300-2) bars were not bent but rather ground off. Instead of a tube it looked more like a C channel and it was still holding up!

Because of that I bought the 1300-2 bars for both my bikes. They also protect the saddle bags and give me a place to add extra rear tail lights.
    You can order them direct from the factory.
    Last edited by spiderman302; 09-13-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    More light is not better, rather putting the light in the right place is better.

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I have given bwgdog tipover bars the ultimate test and the collars are not needed.
    Ron: 2006 ST1300

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SupraSabre
    So I'm not sure what you are asking.
    I think he's concerned that bolts used to mount the GW bars are 'unsupported' where they pass through the ST's frame recesses that were previously filled with the heads of the OEM bolts.

I'm not sure about the 'smaller shank' part. The bolts used for the GW bars are longer but are they not the same diameter?

Seems clear enough that this isn't a cause for concern which is part of what he's asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Duporth View Post
    2. I also had a thought that a ~7/8' dia collar could be made and pushed into the bored part and be just proud of the outer surface so that the tip-over mounting plate would tighten on that instead of the outer bike frame surface.
    First the 'problem' solved would be one of aesthetics. The base of the bars wouldn't mar the surface of the frame during the installation. The bars could be removed with no sign of them ever having been installed. I can appreciate that. I thought of hard rubber pads as well.

Second I'd wonder if not having the base of the bars flush wouldn't actually weaken the support by way of less surface area. Would that mean the bars would be more likely to snap and be far less effective? I don't know.

To preserve the finish of the frame maybe the combination of collars and pads could work. Or collars with studly metal flanges welded on. Or collars with a studly metal bridge that ties them together without the need for plates. That's a thought. Again I don't know how structurally sound that is compare to just bolting the bar bars to the frame.

Realistically if I get roundtoit it'll probably just come down to crank and cringe and don't look closely. And never take the bars off anyway except to replace them for <cough> some reason.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

Thank you fellow ST' ers for very helpful comments.

I am always analysing and looking for innovative solutions on my bikes as a first approach - fun, then I consider the "cringe and don't look closely" option [thank you ST Gui]. The latter sure has a place.

Lots of field evidence in ST land that bolting directly to the side structure works. Can't argue that - great knowledge. Maybe a durable thin layer under the direct bracket bolt on? (There I go again!). At least this way I can imagine I am reducing chance of marring the clean silver surface beneath.

Thanks again.

D

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast