Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tip-over bars - general question

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Re: Tip-over bars - general question

Quote Originally Posted by Duporth
    At least this way I can imagine I am reducing chance of marring the clean silver surface beneath.
    Nothing wrong with that. I've been thinking the same thing since I first saw this option. 'Adapter plates' weren't an option at the time. I liked the idea because it didn't involve any deforming of the GW bars.

On balance the frame might still be marred (even if slightly) by the plates and they are somewhat bulky in appearance. I prefer the look of the bars naked and would consider some kind of barrier.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Bike
    2012 honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I used a bushing where the bolts recessed below the surface when mounting the Goldwing tip over bars. The frame in that location is not flat. Using the bushings keeps the mounting plate off the frame and also keeps the bolt from pulling the plate side ways since the frame is not flat. The bushings can be picked up at any hardware store. If you decide you do not want the tip over bars on later, by using the bushings you will not scratch or mar the frame surface. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	186880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	186881
    STOC # 8864

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

Thank you Paul. This is just what I was thinking of, as shown in your photos. Nice job!!

I have my suspicions the surface around the two frame mounting bolts is not flat and I am reluctant to mount the flat adapter plates directly to the frame. Ouch! Fundamentally 'not good'.

The bushings could be made up quite simply on a lathe if not available through a shop. Then my fussy self would be happy with the outcome. Then on to the next project !

Lots of long test rides in between of course.

Thanks again.

D

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Paul st1300 View Post
    I used a bushing where the bolts recessed below the surface when mounting the Goldwing tip over bars. The frame in that location is not flat. Using the bushings keeps the mounting plate off the frame and also keeps the bolt from pulling the plate side ways since the frame is not flat. The bushings can be picked up at any hardware store. If you decide you do not want the tip over bars on later, by using the bushings you will not scratch or mar the frame surface. ...
    Good thinking.

I had placed some rubber matting between the tipover bar brackets and the step, but I think your idea is better. I'll have to see if some of the bushings I have will work for that.
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -14,000 miles, 2010 - 65,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 29,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

I'm very interested in this as I have a pair of GL1800 bars on my workbench waiting for adapters to arrive.
    I looked at the frame this morning and it looks very flat to me however I did not lay a straightedge across it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    Finally an ST owner!
    2005 w/ factory topbox

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I am particular about my stuff and keep it in great shape so I understand the need not to mar the step but I never plan to remove the bars so for me the point is moot. I can't see under the bars when they are mounted and they've been on there for years.

Bike
    04 ST
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman302 View Post
    The other alternative is made by MC Enterprises. It is the one used by law enforcement.

http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/gara...nda_st1300.htm

I saw one of the last ST1300's used by the Sheriffs Dept in the garage. It was being used as a training bike. All the new Deputy's were required to low side the bike so they would know how to ride it out. The rear MC (#1300-2) bars were not bent but rather ground off. Instead of a tube it looked more like a C channel and it was still holding up!

Because of that I bought the 1300-2 bars for both my bikes. They also protect the saddle bags and give me a place to add extra rear tail lights.
    You can order them direct from the factory.

I'd like these to mount siren and shotgun!

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2009 ST1300
    My Gallery

Or maybe just a stack of washers can be used instead of a bush.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12