Thread: Local Knowledge -- Chattanooga

Bike
    ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Local Knowledge -- Chattanooga

Coming to Chattanooga for a few months, bringing my ST. Thought I'd put a feeler out here to find out what I need to know.

In general terms I'm interested in;
    A couple good day trips to get to know the area, and
    Maybe a couple overnighters to look forward to.
    Best breakfast joint, preferably a local joint, not a franchisey chainy place, but one with good eats, the kind of place cops, truckers and ST riders go for breakfast, ... and 100 miles or so before breakfast shouldn't be a problem.
    Brew pubs are always a favorite, any good ones in the area?
    I see there are two dealers in the area, one NE of town and another near Rossville. Either one any better than the other?
    Anybody here local and looking to go for a ride?

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or opinions offered here.
    Jim
    Last edited by Pelagic; 09-13-2017 at 02:31 AM.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn?t do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Local Knowledge -- Chattanooga

Jim,
    I can't help you with the eats, but North Georgia has some of the finest roads that you'll ever ride. Southern Honda in Rossville is my favorite. They went out of their way to sell me the ST1300 in 2011. Lots of inventory and will usually let you test ride.

If you get a chance, check out the Blue Ridge Gathering event. in mid October.

Ride Safe
    John
    '06 ST1300 '08 GL1800 '13Wee

Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

If you are going to be there Oct 12-14, that's when the Blue Ridge Gathering is happening. Check out the thread on it.
    '06 ST1300
    Easternbeaver PC8, MCL Fuse Box Mount, Stebel Horn, Auxbeam 60 watt 5" LED lights w/ Dick Seng Mounts, Whelen B/T/T Strip Light, Hyperlites, Givi E460 Top Box, Throttlemeister, Tailbrights, Bike Quip Flip Top Tinted Windscreen, V4 Badges, BMW Grips

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
    Coming to Chattanooga for a few months, bringing my ST. Thought I'd put a feeler out here to find out what I need to know.

A couple good day trips to get to know the area
    Chattanooga is just minutes from some of the finest riding east of the Mississippi.

Here's a fantastic day trip: https://goo.gl/maps/h3CQY15Qpxm
    It will be a long day on the bike, but you'll hit some of the best roads in eastern TN and western NC: TN-315, TN-360, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, TN-68. If you're willing to add an extra 30 minutes or so to it, you can fit Moonshiner 28 in there between the Dragon & Skyway.

And +1 on what Nashcat said about north Georgia roads. Great twisties, not much traffic.

For a longer trip you'll want to do at least some of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

"The road unwinds towards me / What was there is gone / The road unwinds before me / And I go riding on" -- Rush, "Driven"

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Pelagic:
    Adding to what others have said, the Cherohala is a must do, we often ride that over to Cherokee and stay overnight, then ride home through the Nantahala forrest, which is VERY pretty, but can be a bit problematic in that it has some traffic on it. The Richard B Russell highway in NW Georgia is well worth doing, as well as almost all the secondary roads in North Georgia.
    Helen, GA is worth a ride to, and when there, North Ga BBQ is the place to eat, if you like BBQ at all. We often go there overnight, just for a getaway. Nice place to park and walk around.
    In Chattanooga: The Terminal Brewpub is my favorite up there, but Big River is good too. Sugar's BBQ is interesting, but not in my top 10. For a really good brewpub experience, travel 2.5 hours east, and try The Downtown Grill and Brewery in Knoxville. If it is a Tuesday, also try Calhoun's ( Knoxville too) for 1/2 price handmade pizza, and an Appalachian Pale Ale.

If you are a big BBQ fan, a nice ride is to come down 411 from TN, and go over route 136 to Talking Rock, where "almost world famous" Big'Uns BBQ is. It is right on 515, in a kind of isolated area. We go at least once every two weeks.Very reasonable, and VERY tasty.

A great dayride, well worth the effort, is Jack Daniel's distillery, in Lynchburg, TN. Another of my favorites is Unclaimed Baggage store in Scottsboro, AL. It is just what the name implies-lost baggage from airlines, bought by the pound, and cleaned, then put up for sale. Bargains abound!

If you happen to be coming down my way , let me know, and I'll make every effort to take a day for a ride! I live just NW of Atlanta.

If you need a place to work on your bike, I have a garage and loads of tools, and am familiar with the ST1300. I do all my own work.

Hope you have a great visit!
    Last edited by klaproth; 09-15-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Bike
    2003 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Asheville, NC has lots of breweries and restaurants. Great place to stay overnight, and it is difficult to find a bad road anywhere around there.
    I have never done this, but will someday, just east of Asheville:
    http://www.thedevilnc80.com/

John Carruth, STOC #375
    2003 ST1300 ABS, 2011 KLR 650
    2012 Monster 1100 EVO, 2017 Harley Road Glide Special

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Hey, great stuff here, thank-you everybody!
    Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon are on my list, nice job putting that loop together, looks like a great run.
    Sierra Nevada built their big east-coast brewery in Asheville and it seems to have become a micro-brew mecca. I assemble Brew-Tours for my local group where each day ends at a brew pub somewhere, seems like that's going to work well in this area too.
    And maybe a bourbon tour??? Hehehehe.
    Sounds like a BBQ-Tour might be in order too. That's quite a list, thanks, it seems you're a fan too. Nobody but nobody does barbeque like that out here although there is something to be said for those wood-fired steaks in Santa Maria.
    I'm in Charlotte the weekend of the Gathering for the Panthers game. Darn, looks like fun too.
    Lots of potential tours there, they all sound like fun, I am really looking forward to being there more than ever now.

Maybe we'll get an RTE together one day. Thanks again for all your help.
    Jim
    Last edited by Pelagic; 09-17-2017 at 01:44 AM.

+ New Posts