CalSci Review

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
We're heading out this weekend for a quick jaunt to see some theatre. Weather is getting cooler so I swapped the stock screen for the CalSci that came with the bike.
Here's a shot of the stock screen laid on the CalSci. There is a big size difference. The other difference is how they feel. The stock screen feels very 'finished' whereas the CalSci has sharper edges and the material feels thinner.

Here's a shot of the new screen on.

I'll report back on what we think of it [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
Re: Screen swap

I would like to hear what you have to say. I reviewed the Calsci screen in another thread maybe two years ago. Still using it. Biggest downside is the ports that admit air to reduce buffeting. They are scientifically placed to allow rain drops to accumulate into supersized drops that then fly up and under your visor when it is cracked 1/2" or more for ventilation. SPLOOCH! Right on your face. (I ride w/ shield all the way up at speeds over 55).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Good looking windscreen! Not sure how I feel about holes in it without the ability to close them. Given the few bugs that collect on the stocker I've discounted oven vent screens for wet weather. I try very hard never to ride in the rain and am trepidatious about riding in wet and bug weather.

I'd be curious to know how your mileage fares. Would the buffeting from that screen with the holes covered be worse than the OEM screen.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Screen swap

Interestingly enough I don't find much buffeting with the stock screen.
I definitely feel the back pressure when it's raised up though.

The holes are there to allow air in behind the screen to reduce the vacuum effect. I imagine you knew that of course.
We ride out to the ferry at 120 kmh and it was pretty calm. Definitely maximum coverage when at the highest point.

For reference purposes, I'm 5'9" tall with a 30" inseam.

I've ridden lots of miles in the rain but I can completely understand your trepidation as I recall my first rain miles as rather nerve racking thinking that I was going to go down if I leaned the bike over at all!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300

I'd be curious to know how your mileage fares. Would the buffeting from that screen with the holes covered be worse than the OEM screen.
My mileage dropped somewhere around 1 mpg from before calsci to after. That's for all the gas used in one riding season - about 4000 -4500 miles annually. Mileage was 43+ before and 42 n change after (for two years running).

One of my projects is to make plugs to fit the screen to see what happens when there is no inflow to help push turbulent air up and over my head - and to see what those trained megadrops do when they cannot get to my face. But this always seems to get pushed to the back burner.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

So a bit of an update.
Spent about 4 hours on the bike this weekend.
The new screen definitely has more coverage. At the lowest setting I can see over the top. My arms are virtually untouched by the wind.

When raised to a higher position creates less backdraft than the stock screen at the same height.

It rained pretty good on the way home. I did notice that raindrops would build up and then release, flying into my visor. This only happened when I had the screen raised however.

I missed the ability to lower it enough to clear my visor.

Overall if we were going on a long trip in cool weather we'd use it. Otherwise I think the stock screen may suit us better.

But more testing is needed. Hurray!

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

A bit more of an update. I did a 50 mile solo ride today with the CalSci screen.

I can't say that I liked it that much for a couple of reasons:

• There was a weird, semi-high pitched 'thrumming' that drove me crazy. Screen height didn't make a difference.
  • At speed in traffic the bike is really nervous.
I think I'll swap it for the stock screen again.

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300

Been there, done that.....
Try the screen brackets modification shown elsewhere on this forum, and a screen from Slipscreen.
50% better than stock (llrc).
Stu

Bike
2010 ST1300

A bit more of an update. I did a 50 mile solo ride today with the CalSci screen.

I can't say that I liked it that much for a couple of reasons:

• There was a weird, semi-high pitched 'thrumming' that drove me crazy. Screen height didn't make a difference.
  • At speed in traffic the bike is really nervous.
I think I'll swap it for the stock screen again.
I experienced some additional instability in turbulent air (behind semi's and other big trucks). Played with the preload and rear damping (back to stock settings) - that settled the bike down.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A

Get the Laminar Lip for your stock windscreen:

http://www.laminarlip.com/st1300.php

I've been using it for over 5 years and wouldn't be without it.
It sends the wind up and over your head, so you can look over the screen - I ride with it all the way down, at all speeds.
Less wind buffeting, and your gas mileage will go up (slightly) because of the improved profile.
I only raise the windscreen for cleaning (or in very heavy rain).
Best $100 you can spend for this bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

larryg said:
Get the Laminar Lip for your stock windscreen
That's pretty slick looking! The thing I'm used to seeing looks like a transparent sun visor (yeah oxymoron) that went across the top of the screen.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
LOL those are kind of sexy compared to the thing I remember. More like a Baker wing very rectangular with near 90º corners.

I don't know that I'm up for experimenting with windscreen but that LL might be just the thing to keep bug of the helmet and its visor.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
RedMotion said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can order their windshields without the holes cut out.
It doesn't appear to be a listed option but it would seem easy enough to get it as a special order.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It doesn't appear to be a listed option but it would seem easy enough to get it as a special order.
When I bought mine he said they bought these in bulk - and suggested that they did not do "one off's". Though since you can order shorter or taller ones, it would make sense that they could omit the holes. Less work for the CNC or laser or water jet.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I thought they made their own rather than ordering them from someone. They offer different sizes so they obviously order them that way and probably do so in bulk. So it would seem that a ventless model would be a one off.

If a customer were serious and willing to wait maybe CalSci would have their fabricator skip a step for one screen. Otherwise fab'ing covers/plugs would be the other option.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I thought they made their own rather than ordering them from someone. They offer different sizes so they obviously order them that way and probably do so in bulk. So it would seem that a ventless model would be a one off.

If a customer were serious and willing to wait maybe CalSci would have their fabricator skip a step for one screen. Otherwise fab'ing covers/plugs would be the other option.
Exactly. I misspoke - or mis wrote. They get their own design from a fabricator who shapes and cuts the lexan(?) polycarb(?) to their specs. I plan to make some plugs out of wood (belt sander and jig saw) to see what difference the absence of holes makes.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Duct tape works fine,, as a quick test. When I ordered my medium Clearview,, I did not order the vents,,, as they were reported to be noisy and should be turbulent. For some,, they cause the layered flexible plastic,,, right behind the lower windshield to vibrate. I had raked both my oem screen and the Clearview (there are threads on that),,, to increase backside airflow,,, decrease back pressure,, and reduce turbulence. IMHO,, the vent holes are unnecessary, noisy, and a bit of a fad,,,, Cat'

Exactly. I misspoke - or mis wrote. They get their own design from a fabricator who shapes and cuts the lexan(?) polycarb(?) to their specs. I plan to make some plugs out of wood (belt sander and jig saw) to see what difference the absence of holes makes.

Top Bottom