Gear for weekend rider in Pacific Northwest?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have a nephew who is going to school in Seattle and wants to ride home to Ferndale on weekends.
My brother asked what gear he should get.
We all know "all the gear all the time"; but, what is *right gear* for the PNW coast?

For obvious reasons I don't feel I'm completely qualified to recommend gear for a PNW rider! :)

Suggestions?
And, if you would, let me know any shops up there that he might visit for fitting...

Thank you all,
Mark

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I use a one piece rain suit for the wet rides........read .....most days in the winter. Otherwise regular multilayer jacket and pants and good water resistant gloves. A heated seat or gear goes a long way if the ride is long and cold.
:rain1:. ToddC

There is a place called Bent Bike in Lynnwood that has some deals. Cycle Gear can have a deal or two as well.

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
Does the bike he's riding have wind protection?

Note: Bent Bike went out of business earlier this year.

Cycle Gear is a good place for inexpensive gear. I've had good luck with Craigslist if you have time to wait for what your looking for become available.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I ride year round from Tacoma to Seattle. I am using a Sedici jacket right now which is cycle gears own brand. They have stopped honoring the lifetime warranty, which is what made it attractive. Craig's list is good for used gear. If he buys used gear that is made for wet weather and washes it with Tech Wash it should keep him dry. I use it on my current gear and have used it on Joe Rocket gear. I also have a pair of military surplus gore TeX rain pants I scrounged. I wear them over my motorcycle pants and have stayed dry on my 35 minute commute in some steady down pours. As for gloves I don't know of any that are advertised as water proof that will last more than 10 minutes at 65mph so I have a set of bark buster's hand guards for sport bikes.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Note: Bent Bike went out of business earlier this year.
Bummer..... I've been gone for 15 months now. Things do change.....:amflag:

I bought both my rainsuits from Bent bike for about $45. XXL to fit over my regular coat and pants. Can't remember the brand...

ToddC

Top Bottom