Looks like we lost a couple more good tire choices

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Amen But it is believed to be worse in China
When you are half a world away and don't speak the language.... very easy to have the wool pulled over your eyes. Inspectors may see a nice conforming assembly line....while they are there watching. Nobody here ever work the floor in manufacturing? By the book when somebody is watching.....if not being watched the quick and easy way.
I've asked this question before....never got answers...how many companies move production to China to increase quality?
They move due to cheap labor and lack of safety/environmental regulations while increasing profit.
And our desire to have more/newer/bigger/faster widgets drives it all.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
When you are half a world away and don't speak the language.... very easy to have the wool pulled over your eyes. Inspectors may see a nice conforming assembly line....while they are there watching. Nobody here ever work the floor in manufacturing? By the book when somebody is watching.....if not being watched the quick and easy way.
I've asked this question before....never got answers...how many companies move production to China to increase quality?
They move due to cheap labor and lack of safety/environmental regulations while increasing profit.
Can we assume that you don't shop at Walmart then, probably the biggest destroyer of North American jobs in the past few decades?

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I'm a full blooded AMERICAN, My Ancestors came from Europe. I Ride a Japanese Motorcycle made in Thailand (KLR-650) and I complain about Tires made in China. But as a true American I buy most of my tools from Snap-On or Harbor Freight. The world is Changing. At My Age I'm glad that I can still stand and Ridding Anything is a Bonus. The Pendulum continues to swing and if Quality becomes an issue other producers with better Quality will prosper. That's how it's always been. Why do you think that BMW Motorcycles does so well. I've got a 10 Year Warranty on my fuel gauge that they can't fix.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Can we assume that you don't shop at Walmart then, probably the biggest destroyer of North American jobs in the past few decades?
You know what they say about assume?
Of course I shop at Walmart. In small rural areas, there are fewer and fewer choices as WM squeezes out the small independent store. And even if I do shop the small shops...much of the stuff is made in China....brand name stuff too...so there is really no option.
What I'm talking about is our desire...not NEED..... to buy the latest/bigger/faster widget just to keep up with the neighbor/relative/coworker.
But if you don't entertain the idea that the richest man is he who is content with the least...then all this is lost on you.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Don't get me started on BMW consumer reports the worst bike in production with the highest service issues lol.
Have you forgotten the BMW dual sport from a few years back? The one made in China?
I don't even think it made it a year in their lineup!
Some things they do not talk about anymore.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
the richest man is he who is content with the least
Oh, I'm 100% with you there. The problem with society today is the constant need for more STUFF and yes, no matter where you shop now, most of it is made somewhere other than North America, but that doesn't stop me from never setting foot in a Walmart, for that company was the main harbinger of the situation we have today. I took this stance in the summer of 1995, before Walmart had even come into Canada, when I did a 10,000 mile tour of Canada and the USA on my new '95 ST1100. In the USA, I went through many, many "small town America" places and was surprised to see Main Street small business windows papered over and written on those coverings were angry epitaphs - OUT OF BUSINESS!! CLOSED BECAUSE OF WALMART! Right then and there I made a pledge to myself to never set foot in a Walmart! I don't need, or buy, a lot of STUFF, but when I do, I'll never go to Walmart just to save a few bucks. They started this "race to the bottom" for all retailers.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Don't get me started on BMW consumer reports the worst bike in production with the highest service issues lol.
years ago I went to the local BMW dealership, which was one of the few to sell both cars and bikes, as I was unfortunate enough to own one of their crappy cars. While talking to the guy in the service dept. I noticed a brand new looking RT sitting on the service floor with the rear end removed. I asked the guy "so do they ship them in a crate and you have to do some assembly after uncrating?" His reply, "nope, that one needs a new rear drive after 4k miles"

Last edited:
Oh, I'm 100% with you there. The problem with society today is the constant need for more STUFF and yes, no matter where you shop now, most of it is made somewhere other than North America, but that doesn't stop me from never setting foot in a Walmart, for that company was the main harbinger of the situation we have today. I took this stance in the summer of 1995, before Walmart had even come into Canada, when I did a 10,000 mile tour of Canada and the USA on my new '95 ST1100. In the USA, I went through many, many "small town America" places and was surprised to see Main Street small business windows papered over and written on those coverings were angry epitaphs - OUT OF BUSINESS!! CLOSED BECAUSE OF WALMART! Right then and there I made a pledge to myself to never set foot in a Walmart! I don't need, or buy, a lot of STUFF, but when I do, I'll never go to Walmart just to save a few bucks. They started this "race to the bottom" for all retailers.
Not to cause a ruckus, but Walmart hasn't closed a single business ever. It's the customers/lack of customers who close any business. Any business which supplies what customers desire for an acceptable price will stay in business. Some businesses stay viable without the prices being as low-they usually offer customer service, package deals, services, etc. that others don't. Personally, I like competition as it is almost always to my benefit in some way.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Always looking for what's to my benefit does not consider what might be better for the common good.

STOC #
To an extent, some of this is true but it's becoming more of a past talking point than current reality. Our company has the same safety and environment standards at our Far East plants as they have here. They also pay for medical insurance for the workforce and locate where housing is relatively plentiful. I believe that most major US corporations are similar in steward responsibility because it's in our best interest. China has been imposing stricter regulations and some of our suppliers are moving to other countries with lessor regulations.

But a big reason why US manufacturing is over in the far east is often overlooked. Our suppliers are located in that region, along with our customers who build our product into their final product. Once that sub-assembly genie left the bottle, there was no way to put it back. We tried to keep as much manufacturing stateside as possible but as our suppliers moved, it became costlier to run a stateside factory while paying high shipping rates and there is no Just-In-Time manufacturing in the model.

It's a bit off topic but I suspect the reason tire manufacturing has been moving to China is because their supplier and capital equipment base are all located there. Likewise, a large % of their customer base is also located in that region.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
***UPDATE***
Well I just hit 1,000 miles on the new tires made in China, and I gotta say they feel FANTASTIC! Nothing like a new set of tires. They are very smooth, quiet, and grip both wet and dry, no wear showing at all at this point. So far so good!
I'll update this every 1,000 miles.

Bike
R1200rt
All the Dunlop Road smart tires that had major problems,( recalls for tires coming apart) a few years back were not made in China.. put a crimp in your logic!!

<< raises hand >>

Guilty. I just installed two new Angel GTs, made in Japan, er, China.
4216 front, 4416 rear, ordered from B.B., but of course, each tire drop-shipped from a different powersports dist.

1/2 ounce rear (opposite stem), no weight on front.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
***UPDATE***
I've now got around 3,000 miles on the new Angel GT's, and truth be told, I can't tell any difference at all!
No cupping, no flat spots, no issues. They still look brand new.
Will update again at 5,000 miles.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I still have many old Craftsman tools that are USA made, and they show almost no wear on them at all, have you inspected or tried to you any of the new MADE IN CHINA Craftsman tools? I won't even use them as throw a way tools in my roadside tool kit.
The sockets split, crack, and flake chrome, the wrenches spread and round off nuts, the ratchets don't last more than a month or so of normal DIY work in your garage etc. This is why I am concerned with Products made in CHINA!
Craftsman states that they have their tools built to THEIR specifications and quality control.....yeah right.
If I don't die in a spectacular motorcycle accident, I'll post the results as they happen and report back often about these new tires. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Pirelli / Metzeler is one of the worlds leading tire mfgr's, I hope they bring quality to CHINA made tires and not the other way around.
Chinese metallurgy has always been suspect. The debate has raged for a while now... why buy Pazzo levers at $189 when you can get the Chinese knock offs for $39. The debate is why can't Pazzo make theirs cheaper? Items like that I could see saving the money on. Tires?... not so much.

I've now got around 3,000 miles on the new Angel GT's, and truth be told, I can't tell any difference at all!
They still look brand new.
Great to hear the Pirelli heart is still there. 4,000 mi and counting on my Angel GT's, only they are German vintage 3815. I will replace them with new China vintage in another 10,000 mi. :rolleyes:

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
I still have many old Craftsman tools that are USA made, and they show almost no wear on them at all, have you inspected or tried to you any of the new MADE IN CHINA Craftsman tools? I won't even use them as throw a way tools in my roadside tool kit.
The sockets split, crack, and flake chrome, the wrenches spread and round off nuts, the ratchets don't last more than a month or so of normal DIY work in your garage etc. This is why I am concerned with Products made in CHINA!
Craftsman states that they have their tools built to THEIR specifications and quality control.....yeah right.
If I don't die in a spectacular motorcycle accident, I'll post the results as they happen and report back often about these new tires. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Pirelli / Metzeler is one of the worlds leading tire mfgr's, I hope they bring quality to CHINA made tires and not the other way around.
I feel your pain. My first job was at Sears paint department. I bought my first tools with employee discount back in the seventies. Had to replace one of pieces from that original purchases, definitely not the same. Will use satisfaction guarantee until they repeal it. New tools, buy something else.

Last edited:
Chinese metallurgy has always been suspect. The debate has raged for a while now... why buy Pazzo levers at $189 when you can get the Chinese knock offs for $39. The debate is why can't Pazzo make theirs cheaper? Items like that I could see saving the money on. Tires?... not so much.
Excellent point. The manufacturing facility and dies used might be newfangled, but the component materials are another subject entirely.

I should check where the T30 GT [rear] is made, which i recently replaced (2003 ST) due to having picked up a duplex nail.

BTW, the new Angels are on the 2008.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The RT came with a brand new zero mile Angel GT rear tire. It was made in Germany dated 3615. During the time I had it apart to fix the clutch/transmission I installed a new front Angel GT. It's also made in Germany dated 4316.

Top Bottom