Looks like we lost a couple more good tire choices

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The RT came with a brand new zero mile Angel GT rear tire. It was made in Germany dated 3615. During the time I had it apart to fix the clutch/transmission I installed a new front Angel GT. It's also made in Germany dated 4316.
How does one decode the tire code? Is 4316 the 43rd day of 2016?
Edit: found the answer. The first to digits are the week, the second two are the year.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
How does one decode the tire code? Is 4316 the 43rd day of 2016?
Edit: found the answer. The first to digits are the week, the second two are the year.
43rd week of 2016.

Edit: my bad I see you found it.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I just heard that the last major American Motorcycle Manufacturer is going to be Bought Out by some company in Japan. Is nothing sacred anymore. Once Honda starts Manufacturing Harley Davidson motorcycles their Quality will be so poor that Harleys won't be safe to ride. What is this world coming to. We need to Support American Quality.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I just heard that the last major American Motorcycle Manufacturer is going to be Bought Out by some company in Japan. Is nothing sacred anymore. Once Honda starts Manufacturing Harley Davidson motorcycles their Quality will be so poor that Harleys won't be safe to ride. What is this world coming to. We need to Support American Quality.
I'm guessing your tongue is firmly implanted in your cheek?

Deleted member 43959

Well well well... My good buddy just bought an Harley hard tail new for 17K and tell me about it... Problems after problems, from engine vibrations (so bad that his rear plate older cracked) and so on. I owned a few Honda before and I never ever experienced any issues like that. So my guess is that if Harley was purchased by a Japanese company like Honda then it will be for the best of Harley so maybe they will start making better bikes overall and especially for this kind of money.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Companies are looking at profit and profit only it seems. China gets the manufacturing jobs because it's cheaper to manufacture there. I do agree that just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's inferior , it can be , but only if the company asks them to do it that way.

Does anyone really think that the craftsman tools being crap now is a surprise to any CEO at Sears? Like what was said earlier, CEO's step down, retire or change companies often so they look for short term gains in profit. They want to make themselves and the company lots of dough in a short period of time and move on. (similar to Loblaws. :) )

I could care less what Harley does....I'll never own one....

I do hope that the quality of any tire stays above what the minimum is for every bikers sake , but that doesn't always happen. Defects do occur...Ride safe....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Honda cars are made in the USA. Does that make them an American car? If a Japanese/Chinese/Korean/whatever company buys HD and manufactures the bikes in, say, Kentucky or Alabama, does that make is less of an American bike? Very very few products today are manufactured entirely in one country, anyway.

STOC #
Yep, I replaced two other sets for folks last month, and they both were still made In Germany....
Maybe Mellow can come up with a new Emoji sign for a crash test dummy for me....
And so it begins, I will post measurements of the wear bars every 1,000 miles for those interested.
If I can still get 10,000 miles out of a set before hitting the wear bars, and they handle/grip the same I'll stop my sniveling. :rolleyes:
. So how have they been holding up? Going to need new tires before trip out west. Was thinking of pr4 gt ( just because I want to try them) but the angel gt have been good so far. Would get the A spec next time though

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Whaaaaaat????

Bike
R1200rt
lets compare the number of old hondas still taking cross country trips vs. the number of old harleys taking cross country trips.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I just "re-tired" my rear Angel-GT A-spec,,, and it gets an A rating from me. Great tire,,, I may well own another in the future,,, Cat'
+1, big time.

Not sure whether mine are A spec but after the first several hundred miles I'm digging the Angel GTs. I like them as much as I felt "meh" about the previous brand I tried, which was a LOT.

Have not had them out in the wet yet, so no data from poor conditions.

Bike
1991 ST1100
+1, big time.

Not sure whether mine are A spec but after the first several hundred miles I'm digging the Angel GTs. I like them as much as I felt "meh" about the previous brand I tried, which was a LOT.

Have not had them out in the wet yet, so no data from poor conditions.
What, pray tell, was the previous unlamented set?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
What, pray tell, was the previous unlamented set?
Metzeler Z6.

To be clear, I never had any real complaint about them. There was nothing obviously wrong that I could point to. I just never took to them.

I would not tell anyone to avoid them based on my personal taste. I just do not sing their praises, though I got 8,900 miles of decent service from them.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Metzeler Z6.

To be clear, I never had any real complaint about them.
So why search around for something else? :confused: I've used the Z4 and Z6 for almost 20 years and like you, have no complaints and good mileage. One of those "if it ain't broke . . . . . " :)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So why search around for something else? :confused: I've used the Z4 and Z6 for almost 20 years and like you, have no complaints and good mileage. One of those "if it ain't broke . . . . . " :)
As I said, although I had no *specific* complaint, nor did I like them, especially. And I *did* like the Michelins that had preceded the Metzelers, so I knew there were tires out there that I *might* prefer.

My bike, my choices to make.

Top Bottom