Where to buy Hwy blades for ST 1300?

I'm sure this topic has came up before, but can anyone tell me where can I buy highway blades for my ST 1300? I was all over the web last night and no avail. Please help.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here, other ST1300 sites and ebay. They will show up every now and again.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Last time I looked, the only thing listed on their site is the replacement blades. . I'm still waiting on my replacement blade I ordered in July. .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I am having a set made to be similar to those...you know just far enough away to not be a patent issue, although I dont think any of that stuff is patent.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cdnemsguy said:
I am having a set made to be similar to those...you know just far enough away to not be a patent issue, although I dont think any of that stuff is patent.
Seriously the way things are going if you made an identical set made and didn't say anything you'd probably be golden. I don't know if any of their stuff is patented but back in the day you'd want to be sure you patented your stuff lest in show up on <cough>some<cough> site.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hearing lots of people complaining about "no response" from MCL and waiting a long time for their orders. Shame that as i have a set of MCL hwy blades but the plastic covers have fallen to pieces and i would want to order some so i can use the blades but not too confident i'll get anywhere. So for now they sit in a drawer in my garage and i'm riding with just the standard covers on.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hearing lots of people complaining about "no response" from MCL and waiting a long time for their orders. Shame that as i have a set of MCL hwy blades but the plastic covers have fallen to pieces and i would want to order some so i can use the blades but not too confident i'll get anywhere. So for now they sit in a drawer in my garage and i'm riding with just the standard covers on.
You could probably take a standard pair, and the original MCL covers and cut the OEM's to match. Use a dremel and go slowly. They only cost 13 to 17* bucks each, if you ruin one, it is affordable.

*my guess - its been a while since I bought one.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I doubt that MCL ever worried about patent infringement. His handlebar risers are amazingly similar to Tour Performance Heli-bars.
And his Highway blades are a copy of Rackman's highway blades of which I own a pair. The original inventor of these way back in time.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Seriously the way things are going if you made an identical set made and didn't say anything you'd probably be golden. I don't know if any of their stuff is patented but back in the day you'd want to be sure you patented your stuff lest in show up on <cough>some<cough> site.
I doubt that MCL ever worried about patent infringement.
Well here are my creations thus far. BTW, I am in Canada so...:nanner1: But really they haven't got enough time to answer the phone or respond to emails, so I wouldn't think they would be prowling on here trying to see patent infringements...
IMG_4151.jpg
IMG_4152.jpg
IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4154.JPG
I have work to do yet, but a good start with a milling machine.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Larry is long gone and I doubt the people running the show wouldn't worry about someone else making the identical thing.
I'll bet Mellow and I were the last ones to talk to him on this forum in person a wee while ago.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I doubt that MCL ever worried about patent infringement. His handlebar risers are amazingly similar to Tour Performance Heli-bars.
+1 I remember a thread about that years ago when I was first shopping for risers so when the time came I got the Helibars.

I didn't know about the Rickman Blades though.

cdnemsguy said:
But really they haven't got enough time to answer the phone or respond to emails, so I wouldn't think they would be prowling on here trying to see patent infringements...
Exactomundo!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The reason MCL is so popular is he was able to mass produce a copy of the rackman wings when you would have to get on a list and it would be 6 months or more to get them. Larry came in and you would get them delivered that same week in most cases. Neither had a patent as those are expensive and unless you can sell thousands or tens of thousands of something, it's probably pointless.

Now, MCL is having the same supply issues so if someone can make these they might just have a hit on their hands. Of course, the bike is just getting older so the demand is not as high as before.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Of course, the bike is just getting older so the demand is not as high as before.
That was my thought on producing these as my "prototype" is just off a milling machine, and my friend has a machine shop with CNC everything, so I was going to look into that but figured the market wouldn't be there to much more than break even.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That was my thought on producing these as my "prototype" is just off a milling machine, and my friend has a machine shop with CNC everything, so I was going to look into that but figured the market wouldn't be there to much more than break even.
Might be worth it to post a poll up and see how many on the site are interested... then cut that in half to get a realistic 'will buy now' number.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The cost of getting a patent would raise the price so high that you couldn't sell any of them. That was an old discussion about the original HIGHWAY WINGS that MCL copied and changed a bit. ;-)

I think the biggest issue with the wings/blades are cutting the covers. I did some original 'belly pans' for the ST1100 and the market/demand/willingness to pay a profitable price was not sufficient to continue. :D

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
I did some original 'belly pans' for the ST1100 and the market/demand/willingness to pay a profitable price was not sufficient to continue.
The remark 'That's/they're overpriced!' almost always bugs me. Some many people can't tell the difference between 'overpriced' and 'that's more than I'm willing to pay'. They seldom know what's involved in manufacture or overhead and always think they could do it cheaper blahblahblah without regard to distribution R&D etc.

I'm impressed when someone undertakes a small production product especially here in the forum. I like Mellow's formula of take a poll and cut in half.

Top Bottom