Where to buy Hwy blades for ST 1300?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The remark 'That's/they're overpriced!' almost always bugs me. Some many people can't tell the difference between 'overpriced' and 'that's more than I'm willing to pay'. They seldom know what's involved in manufacture or overhead and always think they could do it cheaper blahblahblah without regard to distribution R&D etc.

I'm impressed when someone undertakes a small production product especially here in the forum. I like Mellow's formula of take a poll and cut in half.
The problem is when a 'company' like ours tries to produce a product in small runs, the cost ends up being prohibitive because of the overhead and thus the price seems high when compared to somebody working out of their home. We have the facilities to probably make anything needed (lasers, turrets, presses, machine mills), but the runs are just not large enough numbers to make the price 'reasonable'. I did the belly pans when we first got the laser and had a spare sheet of material to 'test' with. And we included free shipping, stainless steel fasteners, printed installation instructions, etc. with no significant markup, and it was 'more than I'm willing to pay' in many cases. :D Our newest laser can cut up to 1/2 steel, so cutting the wings out of aluminum would be simple but not cheap. ;-)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I probably have either the first or second sets of the original Highway Wings. As soon as I got word about them, I put in my order! :D
When Larry first started making the wings, I bought two sets from him, one for me and one for my brother. Dave still has his set. The set that was on my '05 was replaced from my accident in 2008, I sold the damaged ones to someone on the forum.

Of course, Justin has my '05 now and still has the wings on it. But I have bought sets for my 2012, 2010 and the 2004#2. The last set for the 2004, I bought off ebay, when buying some crash bars (one good one bad, but selling as a set) with the wings attached. I bought replacement wings to replace both, giving Dave the good leftside (rightside wing was broken off completely) since he damaged his awhile back. And I had my son Brett take the rightside mount and straighten it at his work. I still have a good (but the black is gone) set of just the wings, but I haven't been able to find them now for a couple of years. They will go on the '04, to replace the ones on it, because they were messed up and I had to file them down and then I painted them blue.:rolleyes:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not to be a smart aleck, but MCL did not make the original Highway Wings (as shown in the picture). They were for a ST1100 and Keith Rosendahl designed them using aircraft spec materials (his industry). I forget who made them originally, but he got cancer (IIRC) and they were hard to get. So MCL copied and modified them and called them Highway Blades. It was a bit of a 'stink' at the time between the two involved 'parties'. Just an interesting bit of ST lore from the 'archives'... :D

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not to be a smart aleck, but MCL did not make the original Highway Wings (as shown in the picture). They were for a ST1100 and Keith Rosendahl designed them using aircraft spec materials (his industry). I forget who made them originally, but he got cancer (IIRC) and they were hard to get. So MCL copied and modified them and called them Highway Blades. It was a bit of a 'stink' at the time between the two involved 'parties'. Just an interesting bit of ST lore from the 'archives'... :D
Yep, well aware of all of that...I was talking about "when" Larry started making them....;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mike Roberts

OP
OP
Madrussian
Might be worth it to post a poll up and see how many on the site are interested... then cut that in half to get a realistic 'will buy now' number.
I'll buy 2 sets right away! If anybody willing to put their time and sweat to this project I'll be showing them off every chance I get. And I do have 7 friends with ST 1300...

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't wait Bob.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I waded back through some correspondence and Mike is/was STOC# 2902 from Sun City, CA. Glad I got a computer to remember things for me! ;-)
Sun City CA! That's just about 10 miles from my house! Small world we live in!

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Well! If we get a bad winter up here this year. I'll spit them out easily!!! Just don't have the time in the foreseeable future. If the weather is good. All the parts can be lasered and finish CNc milled. No prob!

OP
OP
Madrussian
I may consider that, but you will have to be in a long line of requests... at the end of the line sorry.
I'd love to. Just put me on your waiting list.

Well! If we get a bad winter up here this year. I'll spit them out easily!!! Just don't have the time in the foreseeable future. If the weather is good. All the parts can be lasered and finish CNc milled. No prob!
Doug, if you do make them, please keep me in mind too.
Thank you.

Top Bottom