I've ridden a black '91 ST1100 for almost 6 years and 55k of my own miles.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Here's the question, as most of us who ride have a question like this of their own. I'm thinking of a different motorcycle, not to replace my bike, but that second one we all want to have, in this 1st world country. Newer, in the same model type would be an ST1300 or FJR, I know some of you have done that. George told me he rode an ST1300 for a while then went back to the 1100, now he's on an NC700. Bigmak96 was on an ST1100, seemed to come close to an ST1300, now on a Goldwing.
What I'm asking is those of you who might have started on an ST1100, when you decided to upgrade what was it to. Obviously mine is 27 years old, and to have something more reliable as I keep the older one on the road is why my thoughts are falling to another bike. Let me know. mod

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I went from a '94 ST1100 that I put 80k miles on to a '06 ST1300. It took a little while to get used to the 13 but now I wouldn't go back to the 11. My buddy has a '15 FJR. I thought I wanted to "upgrade" to one of those but after riding his several times, I believe I'll just stick to my ST.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
What do you want it to do? Commute, off-road, trails, tour, 2-up?

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You should ride them both and see what works for you. It will be your bike. There are a lot of good options out there. I love my Triumph Tiger 800XCX and my DR650.
I've bought 3 other bikes in the last 4 years. My ST1300 is 10 years old now. I want to put 100,000 miles on it before I replace it. I've never done that on a bike. I still love ST1300, but it is time for a new one with all the bells and whistles from the factory.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I went from a '94 ST1100 that I put 80k miles on to a '06 ST1300. It took a little while to get used to the 13 but now I wouldn't go back to the 11. My buddy has a '15 FJR. I thought I wanted to "upgrade" to one of those but after riding his several times, I believe I'll just stick to my ST.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll bet riding the ST1300 the first time compared to a carburetor with a 4 inch longer wheel base was quite an experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
What do you want it to do? Commute, off-road, trails, tour, 2-up?
This is great question. It's why it sparked the question to this forum. I do occasionally ride 2up, and the Goldwing is hard to beat. It's also hard to weigh more when you're motorcycling. I spend 100% of my time on the street, it would be hard not to with an ST1100, so it makes it easier in the type of motorcycle. I like the seating position the ST1100 affords and the ST1300 and FJR are those types of bikes. I like the shaft drive and many other features that buying an ST1300 would just make a lot of sense. I wanted to hear it from other people as to why and maybe miss something else going on out there.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You should ride them both and see what works for you. It will be your bike. There are a lot of good options out there. I love my Triumph Tiger 800XCX and my DR650.
I've bought 3 other bikes in the last 4 years. My ST1300 is 10 years old now. I want to put 100,000 miles on it before I replace it. I've never done that on a bike. I still love ST1300, but it is time for a new one with all the bells and whistles from the factory.
I hear you on every aspect. It will be mine. Something newer (I have spent an extraordinary amount of time on my bike to keep it reliable). When I bought it, it was 20 years old with 32k. I had to replace everything rubber. It was a good experience but I like to ride so much that there will come a time I need to have the ST1100 apart for longer than I'm willing to wait to ride again.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got quite a few miles on rental ST1300s and I still like my ST1100s much better. In fact I rode a ST1300 the year they came out. Most of the time you've really got to do more than a 'test ride' to determine if the bike is for you.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm riding a 1991 for trips with my wife. Considering upgrading AND branching. I have an eye on a neighbor's 2007 ST1300 with very low miles. The 1100 is a dream on trips but the 1300 has an appealing asking price. Also looking at a CB1100 which is lighter, has good power/weight, easy(ier) maintenance without the plasticwork and seems to me to be a good choice for local commuting. Love my 1100 but riding it in more-stop-than-go traffic, especially in the heat, seems an effort.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I've got quite a few miles on rental ST1300s and I still like my ST1100s much better. In fact I rode a ST1300 the year they came out. Most of the time you've really got to do more than a 'test ride' to determine if the bike is for you.
This is true, riding a bike for a while. I trust that George with multi hundreds of thousands of miles on his ST1100 felt the same way. Meaning, he'd know what he liked and didn't like. I could have easily googled a bunch of things about riding an ST1300, but the kind of thing I'm looking for is likely to come from this forum where a majority of the riders have one or the other, or used to.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The 1100 is more stable around big rigs on the interstate. The mirrors on the 1100 are much better. My wife didn't complain about wind buffeting on the 1100. Other than that, I will still take the 1300 after owning both for 10 years each. It's like UP says, it is all personal preference. But hey, I even ride them both with no bar risers or aftermarket seats! I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
What I'm asking is those of you who might have started on an ST1100, when you decided to upgrade what was it to.
There's that word again. I don't believe in an "upgrade" from an ST1100. Other comparable sports tourers, including the 1300, are just different or newer. A change.
ST1100 is all I need or "want to have in this 1st world country?" .

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm riding a 1991 for trips with my wife. Considering upgrading AND branching. I have an eye on a neighbor's 2007 ST1300 with very low miles. The 1100 is a dream on trips but the 1300 has an appealing asking price. Also looking at a CB1100 which is lighter, has good power/weight, easy(ier) maintenance without the plasticwork and seems to me to be a good choice for local commuting. Love my 1100 but riding it in more-stop-than-go traffic, especially in the heat, seems an effort.
I hear you loud and clear. I'd find it difficult right now with a local ST1300 with low miles and an appealing asking price. I've had the plastic on and off with an Audiovox cruise control install that is making me take first place in the number of install hours in history. So I'm thinking about something newer just to be able to use. I drove a new at the time Toyota Echo 4 years and only had to add fuel and change oil. It's not like my ST is making it hard on me now, I'm about to do my 3rd 800+ mile trip to Louisiana and back to Indiana. Come to think of it. I've never been stranded on my bike mechanically. The ST is just as this forum said it would be almost 6 years ago, that's why it was first upgrade from an 81 Honda CM400T. The T was for Tour. I always saw the humor in that model with a 2 1/2 gallon tank.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I've owned/ridden 5 1100's. Got my first one in 1993. Thought it was time for me to upgrade to a 1300. Bought it, had it for 2 1/2 months and put 8500 miles on it. Just didn't like it. Sold it. Glad I kept my 1100. But then my 1100 and me got totaled out from behind. Got a 1800 Gold Wing, my 7th Wing, and enjoyed it, pulling my camping trailer. But with old age creaping up on me, sold them and bought Bug Drs Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. On my god!, I haven't had this much fun since I don't know when. It gets better every time I take it out. It will haul the mail and is so light and nimble in the corners.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I've owned/ridden 5 1100's. Got my first one in 1993. Thought it was time for me to upgrade to a 1300. Bought it, had it for 2 1/2 months and put 8500 miles on it. Just didn't like it. Sold it. Glad I kept my 1100. But then my 1100 and me got totaled out from behind. Got a 1800 Gold Wing, my 7th Wing, and enjoyed it, pulling my camping trailer. But with old age creaping up on me, sold them and bought Bug Drs Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. On my god!, I haven't had this much fun since I don't know when. It gets better every time I take it out. It will haul the mail and is so light and nimble in the corners.
Thanks for the input, the first thing I want to say is "DANG" look at all those bikes you've ridden. I was a late bloomer to motorcycling, license at 38. The usual story of parents who wouldn't allow a motorcycle while living there. Well, when I'd moved out by 21 and in the army, just never got back into the circle. By 38, it became something I really wanted to do and was allowed to do it with all the gear and a safety course, my wife's safety course 5 months later and she's endorsed as well. Like a ton of others, I didn't have a lot of money to do this, and had to make my decision to upgrade wisely. With only the test ride before I bought my '91 and a few kind words from this forum nearly 6 years ago, it was a great decision. The ST covers a lot of different needs to ride without having a lot of bikes to do it with. I'm looking up that Kawasaki Versys 650 LT to read the specs on it. How do you feel about having a chain again. I know there are staunch shaft riders out there and would never go back to a chain. It does limit the choices in final drive.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Obviously after riding as many bikes as I did with a shaft, I lost count, I was concerned about the chain. Shouldn't have worried. A piece of cake. I use a chain wax every 400-600 miles. Clean it good when it gets a little dirty. Tightening is easy too although I've only had to adjust it when changing tires.

This Versys is my 34th bike, 56 years of riding, and probably my last but as I mentioned, it is a hoot to ride.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
This is great question. It's why it sparked the question to this forum. I do occasionally ride 2up, and the Goldwing is hard to beat. It's also hard to weigh more when you're motorcycling. I spend 100% of my time on the street, it would be hard not to with an ST1100, so it makes it easier in the type of motorcycle. I like the seating position the ST1100 affords and the ST1300 and FJR are those types of bikes. I like the shaft drive and many other features that buying an ST1300 would just make a lot of sense. I wanted to hear it from other people as to why and maybe miss something else going on out there.
I too have been thinking about this. If I were to replace my ST1100, I would look at these bikes... Super Tenere, ST1300, FJR and VFR1200x. I want shaft drive and those are the one's I'd strongly consider.

For a 2nd bike, the possibilities are much more numerous. I would go with smaller displacement (500-900cc) and not worry about 2-up, storage capacity, shaft drive or wind protection.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I too have been thinking about this. If I were to replace my ST1100, I would look at these bikes... Super Tenere, ST1300, FJR and VFR1200x. I want shaft drive and those are the one's I'd strongly consider.

For a 2nd bike, the possibilities are much more numerous. I would go with smaller displacement (500-900cc) and not worry about 2-up, storage capacity, shaft drive or wind protection.
....and that why I'm glad I posted this, I had not year heard of the VFR1200x and the Super Tenere. I have been very satisfied with what I get out of the ST1100, so I stopped looking or thinking about it until recently.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have read this whole thread. I have figured out that you are around 45. How tall are you... or more importantly what is your inseam measurement? What seat height are you comfortable with? What are you comfortable spending?
I grew up behind my dad on CB750's then he bought a Goldwing in 75. When I turned 20 in 84 I bought a new 1200 GW. Still have it. Then bought a 1500 Goldwing. They handle well if you do some minor suspension upgrades. Put 70,000 mile on it and sold it Because 4 kids came along. 2012 bought a 1800 Goldwing. Lots of torque, smooth! my 1500 handled just as well with the suspension upgrade. 1800 pulls my MC camper or cargo trailer without breathing hard.
Then 3 years ago I bought a 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Black Bird. I have a lot of fun with that bike. More than I ever thought I would. It has found a niche as a sport toured. Older but they easily go 100,000 miles. Two years ago the 1800 wing was totaled and I went out and bought a 2007 ST1300A. It has torque but nothing like the 1500 or 1800 wings. Nor does it have the accelerating fun factor of the CBR. If you don't think you can tour on an 1100XX... I just did a 6800 mile 21 day trip and had a blast. Most people on that forum are 45 and up. I put an auto oiler on the CBR and haven't adjusted the chain in 8000 miles this summer. Good chain and auto oiler is the answer to not having a shaft. The ST can really carve the corners and with suspension upgrade front and back would be totally awesome. (I ride very spirited) most people who have the ST1300 upgrade the seat. I am 6'3" and think the stock seat is awful. While I was reading this thread I was thinking about the VFR1200. It is shaft drive and can be bought new. I personally don't care much for the looks and the reason I personally don't want it is due to what I think is a small gas tank on a sport tourer. Out west a good range is very important. Even in Arkansas that's important. The ST has awesome range where you never have to worry about fuel. The CBR has a 6.3 gallon tank and I was going slow hoping for a gas station and my son on the ST never worried about gas. I just put electronic cruise control on my CBR. Looks totally stock as it uses the 1500 GW control switch.
I know guys that have bought the BMW K1600 bikes and love them. Nice but get out your wallet!
Another thing to consider... I won't buy a bike anymore unless it is fuel injected. Huge advantage if you plan on riding where the elevation changes much. Also an advantage just for storage or sitting and not getting ridden all the time.
I am over in northern Illinois. Ride on over and you can go for a day ride on my ST or CBR, we could swap back and forth . CBR could answer the question if you like sporty things like the VFR .

I also have an NC700X and NC700XD you could try.
Either way enjoy your search and I wish you success in your quest.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have read this whole thread. I have figured out that you are around 45. How tall are you... or more importantly what is your inseam measurement? What seat height are you comfortable with? What are you comfortable spending?
I grew up behind my dad on CB750's then he bought a Goldwing in 75. When I turned 20 in 84 I bought a new 1200 GW. Still have it. Then bought a 1500 Goldwing. They handle well if you do some minor suspension upgrades. Put 70,000 mile on it and sold it Because 4 kids came along. 2012 bought a 1800 Goldwing. Lots of torque, smooth! my 1500 handled just as well with the suspension upgrade. 1800 pulls my MC camper or cargo trailer without breathing hard.
Then 3 years ago I bought a 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Black Bird. I have a lot of fun with that bike. More than I ever thought I would. It has found a niche as a sport toured. Older but they easily go 100,000 miles. Two years ago the 1800 wing was totaled and I went out and bought a 2007 ST1300A. It has torque but nothing like the 1500 or 1800 wings. Nor does it have the accelerating fun factor of the CBR. If you don't think you can tour on an 1100XX... I just did a 6800 mile 21 day trip and had a blast. Most people on that forum are 45 and up. I put an auto oiler on the CBR and haven't adjusted the chain in 8000 miles this summer. Good chain and auto oiler is the answer to not having a shaft. The ST can really carve the corners and with suspension upgrade front and back would be totally awesome. (I ride very spirited) most people who have the ST1300 upgrade the seat. I am 6'3" and think the stock seat is awful. While I was reading this thread I was thinking about the VFR1200. It is shaft drive and can be bought new. I personally don't care much for the looks and the reason I personally don't want it is due to what I think is a small gas tank on a sport tourer. Out west a good range is very important. Even in Arkansas that's important. The ST has awesome range where you never have to worry about fuel. The CBR has a 6.3 gallon tank and I was going slow hoping for a gas station and my son on the ST never worried about gas. I just put electronic cruise control on my CBR. Looks totally stock as it uses the 1500 GW control switch.
I know guys that have bought the BMW K1600 bikes and love them. Nice but get out your wallet!
Another thing to consider... I won't buy a bike anymore unless it is fuel injected. Huge advantage if you plan on riding where the elevation changes much. Also an advantage just for storage or sitting and not getting ridden all the time.
I am over in northern Illinois. Ride on over and you can go for a day ride on my ST or CBR, we could swap back and forth . CBR could answer the question if you like sporty things like the VFR .

I also have an NC700X and NC700XD you could try.
Either way enjoy your search and I wish you success in your quest.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What an open and informative response. I am 45, 6 feet 31in inseam. Agree with the stock seats being hard to take for longer than a 30 to 45 minute ride and have modified more than 10 things on my bike, though not all of them are ergonomic, hence the self given handle, moddy.
I actually thought about making this post over a few days because I like what I post to mean something to other people when they read it. In finally posting, without realizing it, I had ridden that long and that far and knew something more about riding since I started. Riding a motorcycle is alive, and if you believe that, the experience talks to you while you're riding and not riding. I could see that in your self described reaction to each of the different bikes you rode and it has shed some important light on other models from another motorcycle enthusiast's perspective. I don't have a lot of money right now, but I'm not letting that discourage me for making a target and a goal to go for. Thanks again for sharing, this is what I'd hoped for with this post. It's actually better.

Top Bottom