I've ridden a black '91 ST1100 for almost 6 years and 55k of my own miles.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm on my second 1100, it's an upgrade from a standard to one with ABS, I'm lovin' it. I have test ridden other bikes but I can't justify the amount of coin to get a newer bike when this one does it so well. I had a discussion on the phone with another member and we talked about options. I mentioned I would rather spend the money on better gear to make my riding experience more comfortable. Spend the money on excellent waterproof gear I've been lusting after....
there are some good deals to be had on later model 1100's just sayin'

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm on my second 1100, it's an upgrade from a standard to one with ABS, I'm lovin' it. I have test ridden other bikes but I can't justify the amount of coin to get a newer bike when this one does it so well. I had a discussion on the phone with another member and we talked about options. I mentioned I would rather spend the money on better gear to make my riding experience more comfortable. Spend the money on excellent waterproof gear I've been lusting after....
There is a lot of truth to the longevity of an ST1100. Even the first year design has a lot of riders, in just this forum alone. After I replaced coolant hoses and basically all the rubber when I first bought it, as it was calcified, I've never been let down. Always started, always stopped, mostly 42 to 43mpg arena. There is no doubt there will be another two wheeled addition, due to the simple math and a little contingency plan, to always have a bike to ride, not matter the maintenance needed. My wife's bike a KZ750 Ltd is 36. After I went through the engine and replaced gaskets, shims and cables, it has been an equally reliable ride, still 36 years old. Mine, I already mentioned it could be down one day for maintenance longer than I'm willing to wait to be riding again. One day, I'll even have a garage to keep them in, but that's a whole nuther story of RV livin....for now.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Right there with you. Old horse not getting any younger. Finally threw down the cash and moved to an ST1300. Fuel injection is nice. Feels a little more nimble because of the steering geometry. A little more grunt than the ST1100 but not a lot. I've run with 13's before and they certainly weren't leaving me behind. Is it an upgrade or a lateral move? Not an overwhelming answer either way. Still have some farkling to do. Age and mileage is definitely in favor of the newer bike. Been swapping back and forth during the transition and every time I am reminded just how good the ST1100 platform really is.

A lot of the nitpicky decision factors will really depend on body dimensions and personal proclivities.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Right there with you. Old horse not getting any younger. Finally threw down the cash and moved to an ST1300. Fuel injection is nice. Feels a little more nimble because of the steering geometry. A little more grunt than the ST1100 but not a lot. I've run with 13's before and they certainly weren't leaving me behind. Is it an upgrade or a lateral move? Not an overwhelming answer either way. Still have some farkling to do. Age and mileage is definitely in favor of the newer bike. Been swapping back and forth during the transition and every time I am reminded just how good the ST1100 platform really is.

A lot of the nitpicky decision factors will really depend on body dimensions and personal proclivities.
I can tell you this, because this whole thread is obviously loaded with a major dose of experienced riders, I could have another ST1100. Mostly because I've been all over my bike in 6 years like squirrel all over a tree, with this and that to be adjusted. I would be completely confident in being able to pull another one apart, clean it up and put it back together, as I have done many times. I've just always been rushed and not able to enjoy it due to maintenance in between water drops or wanting to ride as quick as possible. One day, to be able to take my time with a proper carb cleaning and sync, rubber replacement, fork oil change....you get the drift. Fortunately, 200k+ miles is not a long debate about the ability an ST1100 has.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Everyone is different, that's for sure. We have different likes/dis-likes, different needs, different wants, etc...yeah, I could go on & on & on...

And that's where we need to be able to determine what suites us best! For me, I know many think I'm nuts for having 5 ST1300s, but until you understand my needs and likes and dislikes, and circumstances, you probably won't have a clue to my thinking! :D

I started riding motorcycles in the Los Angeles area when I was 19. Why? Because I couldn't afford a car. Simple as that. But once I started, I found that I really enjoyed riding! Even after getting married and the kids started coming, my wife eventually understood she wasn't going to get me off of them anytime soon!

So now, here I have five of the same bike! Well only two are roadable at this time, I hope to have the third (the 2010) back on the road soon, But my commute is really beating them up! That's why I bought the 2012, so I could keep one bike "nice". That was supposed to be the 2010, but I've put so many miles on it in the 4 years I've owned it, that it's not possible to keep it as nice as I would like! I had plans to sell a couple of the bikes, but with prices so low on them, why bother? I still have about 5 years of commuting left (if the job lasts that long), so I might as well and hang on to them and abuse them, instead of my 2012! At least, I have plenty of parts on hand! :D

For your wants/needs, I doubt if five ST1300s would be best for you! LOL

As you examine and search for your answer(s), you'll come up with what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
David

You are doing what I did. My ST1300A is at 93k miles and I did that in 5 years. Yes it will go to 200k miles or more. But they do not make the ST1300 any more.... five years from now I will need a new bike. But what are the chances of finding a low mileage or new bike then? I went shopping and looked at all the current options. I have ridden a lot of other bikes and they are fine but when I get back on my ST1300A -- I just smile. I need nothing more than what this bike can do. I have made all the mods to make it a perfect fit.

So, I went out and bought a new old stock 2012 ST1300A at a bargain price. There are a few left. I rode it 3000 miles on a trip to Colorado last June, now it is in the garage in standby mode waiting for the retirement of the 06.....

I have never had the privilege to ride a ST1100. If you look hard you might still find a low mileage ST1100 on craigslist or Cycletrader but if you want to "down grade" to a used low mile ST1300A (ABS) then go for it, you will not be disappointed. I really like the built in ankle protection. The electric windshield makes two bikes in one..... and ABS, and, and, and.....

You need to find what fits you. You have lots of time and options so keep looking around....

My 0.02 cents.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Dave, I've put about 80k miles on my 1100. I don't need to tell you about it.

In June I bought a Yamaha FJ09 and I'm having LOTS of fun with it! 125hp, 465lbs, ABS and TC.... outstanding bike! Puts a big, stupid grin on my face most every time I ride it. But NOT a replacement for the 1100!

Wind protection no where near an ST, and the wife can only take it for 30-45 minutes. And I haven't gotten it to "fit" just right, like 10 years of farkling my ST has done.

My suggestion to you is to get out and ride any bike that you think is even remotely interesting. Some will tell you, often almost immediately, that they are not "the one", but when you ride one that puts that stupid grin on you face, buy it!

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Dave, I've put about 80k miles on my 1100. I don't need to tell you about it.

In June I bought a Yamaha FJ09 and I'm having LOTS of fun with it! 125hp, 465lbs, ABS and TC.... outstanding bike! Puts a big, stupid grin on my face most every time I ride it. But NOT a replacement for the 1100!

Wind protection no where near an ST, and the wife can only take it for 30-45 minutes. And I haven't gotten it to "fit" just right, like 10 years of farkling my ST has done.

My suggestion to you is to get out and ride any bike that you think is even remotely interesting. Some will tell you, often almost immediately, that they are not "the one", but when you ride one that puts that stupid grin on you face, buy it!
Right on, good to see you, it's been a while. I think it's really cool how people on this thread have shared what riding has done for them. At my stage and miles ridden, I'm able to relate more to what their experience is, rather than no baseline.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Put 250,000 miles on a new '91 1100, then went right to an '07 1300 -- NO regrets. They're BOTH great bikes. U'll get all the miles and rides & reliability, and comfort U could ever want out of the 1100. 2 up riding, no problem.
I was ready for a new bike then, so rented 1300s, twice, before buying a new '07. Perfect transition. No need to try anything else. After U break it in, U get used to the sportier side of this bike, & its still just as comfortable and reliable as the 1100. Same SMOOTH engine. Now, almost 150,000 miles on this bike. The riding experience and trips are all I need, not alotta bells and whistles. Good Luck.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I agree that new bikes are expensive. I used to buy new all the time after getting the price dropped. Now the last 4 have been used private owner with low miles. So many out there. I also agree that putting money in good riding gear does make the ride/trip much more enjoyable and safer. I had a nice first gear leather jacket bought in 94. Still going but zippers are giving out. Wanted Aerostich gear and heated gear for years. Last year got the Aerostich Roadcrafter and this year bought Daytona boots and got a show special for a full set of heated gear. Gloves,socks,pants,jacket, and two pigtails to connect up two different bikes for $400. Plus a good helmet is always nice too. I keep asking myself why I didn't buy the heated gear much earlier. I love the jacket liner and gloves. That's all I need with the Aerostich Roadcrafter. Pants and socks haven't been used.
LDComfort.com riding tights and shorts do an awesome job of keeping you cool and not getting that monkey butt burn and rash on HOT days

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Moddy
Here is a shot of the ST1300A and my CBR 1100XX taking a rest in Eastern Colorado. I can strip he bags and mounts off that CBR in 5 minutes.
If you lived in Modesto then you know where the middle picture is. The 1st is my son on the ST up by My Shasta.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Moddy
Here is a shot of the ST1300A and my CBR 1100XX taking a rest in Eastern Colorado. I can strip he bags and mounts off that CBR in 5 minutes.
If you lived in Modesto then you know where the middle picture is. The 1st is my son on the ST up by My Shasta.
Yes, I recognized Half Dome immediately. Been to Yosemite a great number of times.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I am over in northern Illinois. Ride on over and you can go for a day ride on my ST or CBR, we could swap back and forth . CBR could answer the question if you like sporty things like the VFR .

I also have an NC700X and NC700XD you could try.
Either way enjoy your search and I wish you success in your quest.

Very generous and tempting offer. Should I ever get a chance to get up there, I will let you know. mod

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
The fruits of your labor. That's right, what started with a question, starting this thread with your input, resulted in the final decision to purchase an 05 ST1300A ABS with 57k miles and ride it 200 miles home. A big thanks again to Gary the GreenZR for the willingness to ride me down there, spending his whole day basically getting to ride. 540 something total miles.
20180623_123332-1.jpg

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The fruits of your labor. That's right, what started with a question, starting this thread with your input, resulted in the final decision to purchase an 05 ST1300A ABS with 57k miles and ride it 200 miles home. A big thanks again to Gary the GreenZR for the willingness to ride me down there, spending his whole day basically getting to ride. 540 something total miles.
20180623_123332-1.jpg
Fantastic

Bike
CTX 1300
I hope this isn’t a thread hijack, but I gotta ask: why do none of you guys consider the CTX 1300? Until a year ago I had never even heard of the ST or CTX series of bikes. I was riding a HD Dyna. Seat height (29 inch inseam) was the main reason I went for the CTX over the ST, but I’ve never actually seen or thrown a leg over an ST. Absolutely love my CTX 1300D and never going back to HD. Seems like the CTX would be a natural progression for a ST rider, but I never hear it mentioned here. Why??

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I hope this isn’t a thread hijack, but I gotta ask: why do none of you guys consider the CTX 1300? Until a year ago I had never even heard of the ST or CTX series of bikes. I was riding a HD Dyna. Seat height (29 inch inseam) was the main reason I went for the CTX over the ST, but I’ve never actually seen or thrown a leg over an ST. Absolutely love my CTX 1300D and never going back to HD. Seems like the CTX would be a natural progression for a ST rider, but I never hear it mentioned here. Why??
The CTX hasn't been around long and recently dropped by Honda so apparently the sales weren't as good as expected. It's a similar engine size but many other things are different... for some, it's great but for others it's just not as good as an ST.. It's personal preference of course..

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I hope this isn't a thread hijack, but I gotta ask: why do none of you guys consider the CTX 1300? Until a year ago I had never even heard of the ST or CTX series of bikes. I was riding a HD Dyna. Seat height (29 inch inseam) was the main reason I went for the CTX over the ST, but I've never actually seen or thrown a leg over an ST. Absolutely love my CTX 1300D and never going back to HD. Seems like the CTX would be a natural progression for a ST rider, but I never hear it mentioned here. Why??
It is a cruiser not a sport oriented bike. I personally don't like the look of the CTX.

Top Bottom