Riders without FasTrack...?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
How do you 'stage' your cash for toll payments? Keeping it in a pocket or letting a bit hang out to grab just doesn't work well for me.

Haven't lost any money... Yet. A tissue-like dispenser to serve up sawbucks?

I'm thinking a spring clip on a hose or cable holding a bill but something a little more elegant would be nice. What do all y'all do?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Way back when I had a magnetic tank bag that had a little coin wallet outside the main compartment under a little velcro flap. It was handy for those occasions that you needed access to small amount of money.

Gerhard

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Tolls...?? What are these tolls ye speak of..??? We have none of these things called tolls..... where I live.
Are they like trolls?? Hiding at the end of the Bridge..? Is there a Billy goat involved..??:22yikes:

So many questions I know......but inquiring minds want to know....:think1:

I use the right front fairing pocket and keep a small business card wallet to hold a few singles and quarters for troll money......

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
When I rode the Mass Pike before I go an EZ-Pass, my tolls would cost $.85 each way
I'd start the week with a $10 bill in the front right pocket, and just keep feeding the tolls from there for each trip.
Once per month, I'd clear the dimes and nickel out and put them in my "piggy bank".

Steve :04biker:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
How do you 'stage' your cash for toll payments?
When I go through the Bay area I usually take the free direction and avoid the toll stop. In San Diego we don't have any tolls, I think even the Coronado bridge is free these days.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I posted the lic plate and make model on the fast track account. Haven't been stopped for no device and it is charged against the account whenever I cross the toll fast track lane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Tolls...?? What are these tolls ye speak of..??? We have none of these things called tolls..... where I live.
Are they like trolls??

Yeah but in Seattle area they have troll roads. "Get a good to go" bill every time I visit the daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I attached a binder clip to an existing screw on the dash upright. Works ok for park passes, dollar bills, etc. Change in a pocket.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I have an old film canister in my tank bag that holds quarters just right. Never (that I remember) checked the total amount it holds but I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-8. If the toll happens to be a large amount I'll use paper money that I've already put in my tank bag.

Skip

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I go through the Bay area I usually take the free direction and avoid the toll stop. In San Diego we don't have any tolls, I think even the Coronado bridge is free these days.
Well, close, we do have the "Toll/Carpool Lanes", but they are all auto-magically collected, so there are no booths.

A few months back I received a notice that I was in violation of riding the 91 toll road. And they identified my '04#2 as the bike. Which was a really good trick since it was in storage at the time. So I wrote them back and said I wasn't there, please send a picture! I never did hear back from them.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
a little coin wallet
an old film canister in my tank bag that holds quarters just right.
Coins. How adorable is that!

All my bridge tolls are $5 one way free the opposite way.

It looks like the binder clip is how I'll roll. That's what my ST buddy uses. I was hoping for something a little more convenient (one-handed) and slick looking.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Coins. How adorable is that!

All my bridge tolls are $5 one way free the opposite way.

It looks like the binder clip is how I'll roll. That's what my ST buddy uses. I was hoping for something a little more convenient (one-handed) and slick looking.
Why oh why don't you get Fastrak You don't even need to carry the transponder, just register the license plate.
One of my riding buddies refuses to get one and we have to stop and wait for him as he is the only one that has to stop and pay.
This is a little irksome and adds danger to our ride. Rolling through is the best and safest way!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I have an old film canister in my tank bag that holds quarters just right. Never (that I remember) checked the total amount it holds but I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-8.
I do that also. $7 in emergency quarters in the locked side pocket, that do get used from time to time.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Why oh why don't you get Fastrak You don't even need to carry the transponder, just register the license plate.
Because it just doesn't make economical sense for me. I don't mind paying for my convenience but if it's not cost effective for me I'm certainly not going to pay for someone else's convenience.

I ride with two other guys and only one has an FT. He's retired too. He can afford to wait.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
That is a hard route to figure in the bay area and much out of the way at times. I have tolls in Illinois and I use the I-Pass and it is good on the EZ-Pass system.

StGui
In Illinois the tolls are double if you don't have the I-Pass. That way they economically force you into getting one. Costs $10 and when I ever leave the state for good the $10 is refundable.
So you don't have to pay more with cash?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Tank bag on long trips, right fairing pocket otherwise. Former has several small pockets inside - one is for small bills. Latter just gets a few small bills on top. Either way was a big hassle* - stop the bike, kickstand down, gloves off, fish out the money, dump change back in, close lid, gloves on, heave it upright, stand up, ride off..... I can't believe nobody ever honked at me.

Then I drove through Chicago. STGUY is right. The blessed folks there charge DOUBLE for cash, you are routed off the main road on a spur like a pariah. Got an EZ pass. Now I ride up, sometimes the sensor fails to see the transponder, kickstand down, hit the horn, gloves off, stand down, give transponder to the toll collector, take it back, .............. TROLLS indeed.

*Us short guys have to take care not to drop the bike. Many moons ago, at a customs booth in Europe, my new Triumph fell over and the crash bar pinned my pant leg to the side of the booth. I was stuck, looking up into the very very blue laughing eyes of the prettiest Scandinavian girl I had ever seen.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I'm old school Rember the coin holders that held nickels dimes and quarters I have one clamped to my handlebars all my change goes in there then when I get home my grandsons raid it and take all that's in there get a easy pass it's worth ot

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
That is a hard route to figure in the bay area and much out of the way at times.
Since we're on the topic, here's a little guide to the non-toll routes around SF bay. Generally it won't take you out of your way, there's a couple options heading north and a couple options heading south.

bay.jpg

Top Bottom