Ceramic coated cylinder heads for the ST

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I had the headers on my 1978 GL1000 silver ceramic coated instead of re-chroming them and the heat shields. Heat before and after wasn't that different, was a bit cooler with the ceramic finish vs the heat shields as measured with a laser thermometer. The shields were crap traps that helped accelerate corrosion. Not quite chrome look but corrosion did not recur in the 10 years/74,000 miles I put on that one. It has its place.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Has anyone thought of this? The title should have read "Valve cover" rather than "cylinder head"

There's a company that can do it, will look terrible but a heat problem is a heat problem

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/motorcycle-coatings/motorcycle-coatings-price-sheet/
Are you talking about valve covers or headers? I'm familiar with coating exhaust systems, but not valve covers. Besides, aren't the valve covers covered with that plastic insert/cover? Would that melt if heat were trapped under a ceramic coating? I doubt ceramic coatings keep all that much heat inside.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
And if they did, is that a good thing for the engine? The heat has to get out somehow or the engine will seize.
It is my understanding that ceramic coatings are usually used on exhaust headers, and the heat blows right through and out the exhaust end. I have not seen any measurements of surface temperatures of the headers - before and after - under controlled steady state conditions, but I doubt that much heat is trapped in the engine block. Regardless, if some (heat) were trapped, the radiator and oil cooling systems would take care of an incremental increase.

OP
OP
Auron
I haven't bought an yet ST but my theory is that if the reason your legs get how is because of the way the cylinders are positioned, ceramic coating the valve cover would in theory prevent heat from radiating off the engine the way it does on this bike in particular. Staintech wouldn't do it if it were dangerous, they know their stuff.

I have been reading that the reason it's so hot it because the cylinder heads are right by your shins, so... Just bouncing off ideas.

The coating is .015 inches thick, not sure how that would effect the fitting of cover but if it's not melting anything now, it wouldn't when it coated either.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I haven't bought an yet ST but my theory is that if the reason your legs get how is because of the way the cylinders are positioned, ceramic coating the valve cover would in theory prevent heat from radiating off the engine the way it does on this bike in particular. Staintech wouldn't do it if it were dangerous, they know their stuff.

I have been reading that the reason it's so hot it because the cylinder heads are right by your shins, so... Just bouncing off ideas.

The coating is .015 inches thick, not sure how that would effect the fitting of cover but if it's not melting anything now, it wouldn't when it coated either.
The heads on the ST1100 are right by your legs as well, but you won't hear any heat complaints from 99% of 1100 owners. There is something else besides those heads that is the main design flaw culprit in the 1300 and many have tried varying fixes to alleviate the problem, with limited success. If I were you, I'd be looking for a good, lower mileage ST1100. Easier to work on too, if you are a DIY'er.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Most ST1300 owner do not have a problem with the heat. I would worry about the heat after your test ride, then go to the next bike.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I doubt the heads represent much of a heat source, rather it is heat radiated from the exhaust headers and radiator heat exiting the bodywork. The main outlet for air that's passed through the radiator are the vents just forward of the heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I doubt the heads represent much of a heat source, rather it is heat radiated from the exhaust headers and radiator heat exiting the bodywork.
+1. The cylinder heads have an internal water jacket before the waste heat gets to the outside of the casting and the cooling system is efficient enough to keep those temperatures down. A measurement with a pyrometer will tell whether or not it's a significant source of heat.

--Mark

OP
OP
Auron
Most ST1300 owner do not have a problem with the heat. I would worry about the heat after your test ride, then go to the next bike.
I don't think I can get the oil hot enough on a test ride? I definitely see your point though, I came across a 919 owner here complaining that his ST was even hotter than his 919. I've owned 4 919's, they are the coolest running fast bikes you can buy, it's ridiculous. For that guy to compare the two is insane.

I'd be sold on the ST except my dad had an '04, said it was hotter than his blackbird and the blackbird is one hot mofo. He also never synced it so it that really is the difference I might gamble and see if I find a synced one too hot.

Top Bottom